PDA

View Full Version : Drive-less car

chunky
02-08-2006, 09:21 PM
http://www.beyondtomorrow.com.au/stories/ep46/driverless.html
We are fast approaching the day when cars steer themselves, and Hayden Turner has found one that almost does. The 2006 Honda Accord is the first car in the world to offer this advanced safety technology. It’s called Advanced Driver Assist System, or ADAS. One of its features is called Lane Keeping Assist and it uses a small camera that monitors the lane markings on either side of the car. That information is sent to a central computer. It calculates how much steering pressure is needed to keep the car in the centre of the lane, and then the power-steering unit applies just that right amount. This technology has the potential to help reduce the deadly toll caused by driver fatigue, because it can prevent you from veering into other cars, or off the road.

quangsta
03-08-2006, 10:40 AM
yerr volkswagon has a car that can steer itself already...but i dont think its in production, same concept have cameras all round and even knows its limits whilst cornering so will almost never undesteer or oversteer =)

JaCe
03-08-2006, 11:40 AM
I was watching that last night at gym... it sounded great and all, esp when you consider HONDA is starting to fit VSC to cars made in Thailand... but then when they said $65,000 for the Accord Euro with the lane keeping assist- I couldn't help but think that sounded a bit like a jip.

I was under the impression from the pre-commercial things (ie. the thing which tells you to keep watching to find out more) that HONDA had developed something on par with what's available in the new S Class- I guess not.

aaronng
03-08-2006, 11:55 AM
This article was for the UK. UK car prices are higher than in Auatralia. The lane keeping assist system has been used in Japan for over a year and I think it is not that expensive. Even the JDM Legend has the infra red night camera that probably won't make it here in the Oz version.

m3ntAL_l2
03-08-2006, 11:59 AM
i can never trust a car driving by it self... lol

Rice_4_life
03-08-2006, 12:20 PM
i trust my own driving skill thnxs,

aaronng
03-08-2006, 12:38 PM
It doesn't drive for you. If you doze off and your car goes into the other lane, it steers you back and rings an alarm to wake you up. It can't drive for you.

Rice_4_life
03-08-2006, 12:43 PM
oh... whoops~~ my bad.

JDM.Power
03-08-2006, 06:53 PM
wells machine.. will take over us one day.
i rather think its not such a good idea, what if there was a fault..an the car took over..and gain the driving seats instead of you. i wonder what would happen

JaCe
05-08-2006, 09:10 PM
How about computer viruses... >__>

Hoyle
10-08-2006, 08:14 AM
It doesn't drive for you. If you doze off and your car goes into the other lane, it steers you back and rings an alarm to wake you up. It can't drive for you.

Not quite. I have all the details in my 06 Accord Euro manual. You have to keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times or it beeps at you and turns off. It puts torque pressure on the steering wheel to keep the car driving in the lane.

When you turn on the blinkers (ie. changing lanes or going around a corner), the LKAS turns off. It also turns off in lots of other conditions: if its raining, if you brake, if you're driving at less than 72 km/h, you turn on your wipers, etc.

JaCe
10-08-2006, 09:08 PM
LOL thanks for that Hoyle. I guess it's nowhere near as advance as what's available in the S class.

On another note, does anyone know how much the option costs here in Australia? Just out of curiosity...

EuroDude
10-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Hope it doesnt run on Windows XP Car Edition, you wouldnt want a BSOD while driving lol

But yeah I noticed it in the 06 Euro Manual too, plus there is a feature called Adaptive Cruise Control which sensors cars in front of you using radar, and brakes the car if you get too close.

marte
15-08-2006, 11:06 PM
holden has been toyin with this idea for abit now, but there idea is that when you steer off, it shakes your steering wheel to alert you.

Addicted2Trance
02-09-2006, 05:14 PM
You have to remember this is an assist program much like the GPS. You suppose to use it in conjunction with your skill, not totally 100% reliable on it. This would definitely help to reduce the toll on our roads and will become standard equipped in every cars just like the ABS. Future technology in cars are much derived from the Merc S Class. So if you want to know what would happen to the 2016 Honda Accord, just check out the current Merc S Class. You will generally find some hints.

aaronng
02-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Hey! You copied what Jeremy Clarkson said!

yfin
06-09-2006, 06:40 AM
If you want to see the system in action look here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1d5CAiLyME

Dray_Templar
07-09-2006, 02:18 PM
lol can't wait, herby comes to reality lol , well it's not far away anyway.