PDA

View Full Version : My diy CAI (what pod officer?)

czy_sol87
03-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: CAI
Required: piping, pod filter, plastic weld or epoxi, tool box

hey guys did this a while ago, but just took pics 2day

first step is to take off the bumper and resenator box
heres a link to a diy of what to do for this first step
thanks to Twincam16 http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44320&highlight=delsol

well after all that, the next step is to take off the top of the airbox like so and remove the air filter element

next is to find a pipe that will hold the pod and be conected to the end of the airbox, its up to u what u use,
but i was 'el cheapO' and use a $5 piece of plumbers piping

mount it inside the guard to the end of the airbox like so
use zip ties to hold it in place and so it doesnt move
there is a hole to where the resenator was connected to the airbox

next step is to plastic weld or epoxi the piping to the end of the airbox
took me a while to do this step
i know, i know it looks sh*t, but whos gonna see it

after all that ur done, all u gotta do now is to put the cover back on

and u're end result should look like this
2143 2141
note: pod under head light

now ur done with ur diy CAI u can put back together ur bumper, put away the tools
(very important step) and go for a drive:p

comments: if i was to do that again i would of painted the piping black to look like
the rest of the intake system, doesnt show much but if u look carefully u can see the white piping

m3ntAL_l2
05-08-2006, 09:10 PM
lol smarta**

iced
05-08-2006, 09:32 PM
this i presume is just for noise.
it wont be effective to still have an airbox there.

you're better off building a cold air intake from silicone bends and stainless steel pipe to remove the airbox and everything before it.

Chi
05-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Yeah that doesnt look very effective performance wise.

I think its better to leave it in stock box than that set up.

jdm_kid
05-08-2006, 09:52 PM
yes correct lol
ur just redesigning a resonator !! reducing noise n air flow

czy_sol87
05-08-2006, 11:15 PM
well i had a pod in the engine bay first, that was ok more responsive than stock, but now with the pod in the bumper, its just suckin cold air instead of engine heat.
may not be as effecent as an injen CAI or the like, but less likely to get me into trouble, my opinion anyway

dundas
06-08-2006, 01:09 AM
nice idea mate. why not run a pipe from the stock pipe to the front for a cold air intake. so ur not actually using the box.. only as a cover up...mmmz.. or is that just same as wat u have done...
either way the idea is interesting...

zorrt
06-08-2006, 10:39 AM
nice idea mate. why not run a pipe from the stock pipe to the front for a cold air intake. so ur not actually using the box.. only as a cover up...mmmz.. or is that just same as wat u have done...

Oh I thought that was what he did...Just stick the box over the pipe....

czy_sol87
07-08-2006, 07:02 PM
thats a good idea mate, i might do that when i find some time
right now its just a airfilter pod mounted onto the end of the airbox

maracer
07-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Great job very cost effective. (as you can see officer no mods):p

Twincam16
08-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Go the zip ties!

Very useful post, was going to add it but didnt have time on mine, so +rep for you!

aaronng
08-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Hmm, it's interesting. The only downside when compared to an aftermarket CAI is the smoothness of the inner walls. In fact, having the airbox still there might boost low RPM response, which is what a true CAI would rob you of.

+ points for you too. :)

czy_sol87
08-08-2006, 01:22 PM
cool thanks guys
im glad uz like it

Fo55il
08-08-2006, 09:48 PM
crazii - i did this in my ol eg and it worked, even 4 roa worthy - lol

good one bro !!!

OzSir2
04-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Yes do anything to keep the fuzz at bay. And the police too. Just be careful during rains. My friend had a set up with the pod at a low level. He drove through a puddle and ended up with hydrolock in his engine.

preludacris
04-09-2006, 04:27 AM
hrmm

that doesnt look like it would be gaining too much performance, prolly even losing performance. the piping of cai's are very smooth so the flow of air isnt restricted.... the part where the box is, would ruin the air flow a lot

u mite want to run a pipe thru there , but keep it covered. and a simple pod stuck on the end of stock piping would be a lot less reponsive than stock air box i think. so its good that urve moved it to the guard. not sure about throttle response, but once urve put the piping inside the box , u should gain a lil thru the rev range.

n/a
07-09-2006, 01:27 AM
it's the effort that counts!

czy_sol87
07-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Yes do anything to keep the fuzz at bay. And the police too. Just be careful during rains. My friend had a set up with the pod at a low level. He drove through a puddle and ended up with hydrolock in his engine.
i've drove all last winter with it like that in the rain and have had no problems with hydrolock
i think the only way to really get hydrolock is if the pod is fully under water, if thats the case u shouldnt be driving anyway:p

hrmm

that doesnt look like it would be gaining too much performance, prolly even losing performance. the piping of cai's are very smooth so the flow of air isnt restricted.... the part where the box is, would ruin the air flow a lot

u mite want to run a pipe thru there , but keep it covered. and a simple pod stuck on the end of stock piping would be a lot less reponsive than stock air box i think. so its good that urve moved it to the guard. not sure about throttle response, but once urve put the piping inside the box , u should gain a lil thru the rev range.
tim i think u've seen it before when i had it in the engine bay, back when we had that PA dyno day

i dont think it would be losing performance because the stock setup is very restrictive with a whole lot of resenator piping goin nowhere

well i noticed that the engine was more responsive after i did this because it was getting colder air all the time, where as in a SRI the air around the pod gets hot if ur at a standstill for a long time, ie when launching the engine bay gets very hot cause theres no air circulating though it
but i will do what everyone has suggested and put a pipe into the box and see what happens

Bayani
26-09-2006, 05:58 AM
How'd the pipe Go?

czy_sol87
26-09-2006, 12:53 PM
i'll let u know when i get around to doing it

ap
26-09-2006, 07:26 PM
just got a question - im installing one of these type of systems onto my s2k and was wondering what others can suggest to cover the filter so that water from the headlights (when it rains) can be stopped from dropping into the pod

czy_sol87
26-09-2006, 08:08 PM
doesnt the s2k already have a pod in an airbox out of the factory?

anyway as long as the pod isnt submerged fully under water it should be fine

stanleym
28-09-2006, 09:35 AM
well the pod will be down low so if the slightest bit of water does get into it i will have to have enough power to defey gravity and work its way all the way up the the tb... unlikely imo

silver_screen
11-02-2007, 08:11 AM
hmm after reading this.. it makes me wonder.. why is everyone so worried about what the police think??

Your allowed to have a pod filter as long as its mounted correctly and secured.

I wouldnt go to the trouble of hiding my piping anywhere. 1 intake mod allowed ppl

aaronng
11-02-2007, 09:19 AM
hmm after reading this.. it makes me wonder.. why is everyone so worried about what the police think??

Your allowed to have a pod filter as long as its mounted correctly and secured.

I wouldnt go to the trouble of hiding my piping anywhere. 1 intake mod allowed ppl

In VIC, an exposed dry pod on an EFI car is legal. In NSW, it isn't.

silver_screen
11-02-2007, 01:41 PM
ahh thank u for clearing that up senor gato :)

Bayani
11-02-2007, 11:12 PM
POD Filters are illegal because of the minute possibility that they will catch fire during backfire :P