PDA

View Full Version : Which exhaust system for a VTI-R?

Wazza
14-05-2004, 07:54 PM
I am after a full exhaust system including headers for my VTI-R and have looked at the following:

Apexi GT and N1, Mugen Sports Exhaust System with Headers (Don't know model ), Spoon Exhaust System, Greddy Evolution II and Street Performance, HKS Hi Power, and Fujitsubo Super Ex and Legalizr.

What are anyones views on which is the best, or best value for money, have I overlooked any? Should I consider buying the ITR headers and system? I am concerned with performance over speed.

mo
14-05-2004, 08:06 PM
I think you could put it this way...getting ITR headers and system would be "bang for your buck"

Espeically if you got JDM ones :)

Also here's a link to the so called "Great Header test" :P based on a USDM model.
http://bob123e.tripod.com/thegreatheadertest/

Wazza
14-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Thanks,

So what sort of power increase could I expect from ITR JDM system with headers and at what cost? Is there a noticeable sound impreovement over the OEM VTI-R?

mo
14-05-2004, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure.
I know that a stock vti-r puts out roughly 80s at the wheels whereas a ITR puts out roughly 90s sooo ermm...I dunno...I'm just a 11* year old n00b :(

*Hi Bren ^^"

bennjamin
14-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Grab a OEM JDM ITR 98 spec header if u get the chance....very nice stainless 4-1 setup , with a fat 2.5 inch collector :) Prob best bang-for-buck header for B series :)

AND ! Choose your new "header" wisely - as the most power to be gained in an exhaust system is found in the header design.

BTW header = singular IE "my car has a performance header"....
headers = plural IE " there are many designs of headers for many cars"

A'PEXi
14-05-2004, 08:36 PM
i dont think replacing headers will give you much of a "sound difference".... depending on what type of muffler you get will determine most of the sound... if you get a full itr exhaust system, i think it wouldn't be very loud as standard systems arn't designed to be loud... little more restrictive due to emisson laws etc... but the itr does have a good 2" or so piping with nice mandrel bends

Wazza
14-05-2004, 08:40 PM
So what the pick of the systems available if I want performance and noise that is still legal

Thanks for your help

mo
14-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Standard ITR exhaust piping is 2.25" la! SS and mandrel bent but it has a restrictor in there. There is a section of piping between the 2>1 merge and the cat...this section constricts the size down to 42mm at the lowest point. I think that if you get an ITR system, best to replace that bit so that the size piping is same all the way through ??

OMG Bren help me explain better la ^^"

mo
14-05-2004, 08:42 PM
So what the pick of the systems available if I want performance and noise that is still legal

Thanks for your help

Noise that is legal...AFAIK most systems are illegal lol...

Wazza
14-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Well I want it to be able to pass a decibel test. Do you know any info on the other systems i mentioned?

bennjamin
14-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Standard ITR exhaust piping is 2.25" la! SS and mandrel bent but it has a restrictor in there. There is a section of piping between the 2>1 merge and the cat...this section constricts the size down to 42mm at the lowest point. I think that if you get an ITR system, best to replace that bit so that the size piping is same all the way through ??

OMG Bren help me explain better la ^^"

In logical flow - the entire piping , Cat back should follow the header collector size , and exit at the same size too.

So , for example - A JDM ITR 98 spec collector is 2.5 inch - the piping into the cat and from the car back should be 2.5inch too...with ideally a 2.5inch tip.

Dont quote me upon this tho ! Its just logical knowledge - You need to study urself or ask a pro here somewhere about acoustic dynamics etc !

SPEEDCORE
14-05-2004, 09:09 PM

Thanks for your help

Stay away from 5Zigen then...... even so...... the G/F refuses to put the silencer on. Crazy bitch! ;)

Wazza
14-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Well what have you done to your cars performance wise?

mo
14-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Tofu on here has a 5zigen catback and he said it's very loud!!

SPEEDCORE
14-05-2004, 09:31 PM
G/F has a full 5Zigen and its well... farkin' loud. :nod:

mo
14-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Trust Silent Force is apparently quiet and gets past EPA ??

lane-o
14-05-2004, 09:49 PM
you will find most (not all) systems with the N1 style muffler hanging off the back is going to be VERY loud, since they are a striaght thru design. I have a '96 Vti-R with a cat-back 2.25'', mild steel, mandrel bend with a X-force N1 style muffler. trust me, she sings loud on the tec!

ginganggooly
14-05-2004, 09:58 PM
itr 4-1 header and a 2.5" system going into a xforce twin loop- got it measured at 91dB.

the old N1 style muffler was much, much louder...

SPEEDCORE
15-05-2004, 09:42 AM
G/F's full 5Zigen exhaust on her ek4 sounds like an explosion when hi-cam comes on.

type one
16-05-2004, 12:03 PM
quiet - mugen twinloop
- Fujitsubo RM-01A, Powergetter etc
- these exhaust still fail EPA test

loud - Apexi N1
- Spoon N1
- Pretty much any other exhaust you put on outside of stock

ian
21-06-2004, 03:50 PM
http://www.xforce.com.au/img/Headers/header%2BSS.jpg

ive got a vtir too..........is this xforce stainless steel header any good?

fueltank says there's one for the B16A engine.

m2h
21-06-2004, 08:21 PM
i been told that Xforce 4-2-1 header is copy of mugen? so ti result sould be not bad ? by the way, is xforce a local brand? where it made from?

SPEEDCORE
21-06-2004, 08:26 PM
If the above pic is of the X-force headers for the B16 than it is not a copy of mugen.

Spoon 2 piece maybe... def not mugen.

fueltank
22-06-2004, 09:27 AM
itr 4-1 header and a 2.5" system going into a xforce twin loop- got it measured at 91dB.

hey awesome.
did you get the barrell or oval muffler twin loop? 8)

fueltank
22-06-2004, 09:38 AM
I believe the Apexi systems have a 'megaphone' system. They believe in small diameter pipe gradually getting to a bigger diameter.
The small diameter makes for a greater velocity of the exhaust gas while it is still hot.

Dunno if it really makes a difference or if they use the 'megaphone' system on N/A cars.

Any barrell muffler will most likely put you over the 90db

ginganggooly
22-06-2004, 12:32 PM

hey awesome.
did you get the barrell or oval muffler twin loop? 8)

oval ;)

91dB at backoff... heh

DynoDave
22-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Megaphones make a huge difference on an N/A engine but they need to be on the back of the headers to work.Just look at all the quick N/A Honda dragcars running in the States at the moment they all use megaphone's.
Regards Dyno Dave

fueltank
22-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Megaphones make a huge difference on an N/A engine but they need to be on the back of the headers to work.Just look at all the quick N/A Honda dragcars running in the States at the moment they all use megaphone's.
Regards Dyno Dave

Thanks dave,
I'll go google 'em up :D

Didn't know they made such a difference :shock:

sharik
24-06-2004, 12:22 AM
Im not sure if your after the full exhaust system or just from catback or whatever. But if full system which I assume your after, I can tell you the Spoon N1 is a great system that will set you back a lot more than other ones, but has an amazing sound and build quality is incredible too.
Expect to get more attention from people in your neighborhood and cops if your going to get headers and Spoon N1.
My recommendation, go for Apexi, its prob best bang for buck.

VTEC16
24-06-2004, 01:12 AM
its prob best bang for buck.

...i dont think thats what you meant to say....

sharik
24-06-2004, 12:42 PM
VTEC16: Sorry, its just personaly I think its nice design and does the job well and for a very reasonable price. Nice sound as well. But yeah I dont have the facts to prove its "best bang for buck" but thats just my opinion thats all.

ginganggooly
24-06-2004, 02:14 PM
it's just that bang for your buck normally refers to performance for the dollar... in which case a good custom system would probably represent better bang for buck than any new apexi ;)

LatinoHatchCrap
24-06-2004, 07:34 PM
if you're reffering to apexi n1 catback you're pying about 1100 for mild steel piping 60mm witha grape shooter thats loud as phuk!! dont see how that can be called bang for your buck :shrugs:
Like Gingangooly said best to have a custom fully stainless steel system with a muffler and resonator of your choice to adjust the sound as you prefer.
The only downside to this option is that the auility of the custom will depend on the person designing the system...so choose wisely...

SPEEDCORE
25-06-2004, 07:36 AM
Apexi N1 mild steel not stainless??? Jeebers!!

Personally I'm not a big fan of apexi systems due to their welds..... and their headers I'm a bit weary due to the piping that is welded at the flange. Not saying that they don't perform.... but not entirely confident on the actual workmanship, especially for the $$

fueltank
25-06-2004, 08:53 AM
thickness of piping will also affect noise.
personally, I wouldn't go stainless on a N/A. too heavy and how often to we put salt on our roads?

mild + cermaic coating for me if I had a choice :P

SPEEDCORE
25-06-2004, 10:37 AM
I beg to differ on weight..... this is maybe true of locally made custom exhausts but that is what you are paying for when buying the japanese stuff.......... not just performance but lightness.....

I know with the G/Fs exhaust, I'm pretty sure it is 0.8 mm thick.... and they are so freaking padantic about lightweight that the actual hooks are hollow too. All stainless.

Food for thought!

fueltank
25-06-2004, 10:51 AM
but are you comparing same thickness? ;)

SPEEDCORE
25-06-2004, 10:55 AM
but are you comparing same thickness? ;)

Oh shit no dude..... I was trying to direct my response more to the "not going for stainless" part of your post that stainless doesn't nesscessarily mean heavy. :thumbsup:

fueltank
25-06-2004, 11:36 AM
haha ok that's cool.

ginganggooly
26-06-2004, 07:18 PM
great, up until anything harder than a cardboard box hits it ;)

LatinoHatchCrap
27-06-2004, 01:00 AM
ss piping will outlast any mild steel/steel piping period.