PDA

View Full Version : 17's vs 18's.

Dazvyss
04-08-2006, 12:15 AM
I am looking at putting some new wheels on my wifes euro and have some questions.
1-will 18's drive noticably harsher than 17's (want to keep ride stock)
2-where is a good place to get a good wheel and tyre package.
3-what would my 03 uero lux wheels with crap tyres be worth.
sorry about all the questions but your advice is apreciated.

mugeneration
04-08-2006, 12:31 AM
1. 18s noticibly reduce ride quality when compared to 17s, but that is only because they usually roll with lower profile tires on them. The tire adds cushioning to your ride, the more you get rid of it, the harsher the ride. When changing wheels you will hardly ever keep the stock feeling to it.

2. Good wheel and tire packages can be found in many places. Depending on the style you are after you will find them in different places. If you are after chrome, i definately recommend your first stop be tempe tyres, they have a HUGE selection, though almost all of it is chrome.

Other wheels you will find decent packeages at places like Bob Jane T Marts. Your best bet is to browse wheel maker's websites, collect catalogues and decide what specific wheel you want, then do an Australian Google search to find a retailer in Australia and compare prices.

3. Not too much. Tyres are usually a ball breaker when it comes to selling old wheels. Really worn tyres may indicate to someone that you flog your car and may have damaged the wheels. Though if you mean cheap tires that are in good condition, I am unsure myself, its a buyers market, you will get what anyone is willing to pay. Try searching the 'parts for sale' section of this site for info on possible prices.

aaronng
04-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Larger cheap rims = more weight = slower acceleration.

For rims, a 1kg increase in weight is equivalent to a 10kg increase in car bodyweight.

yourfather
04-08-2006, 01:51 AM
which means just stop bringin the wife on your trips. instant 60kg saving.

but seriously, if you wanna mod your euro up, pick a theme, whether it's a racer, or a ricer, or a vip style. whatever. find out what wheels you like, don't let some greasemonkey at Bob Jane or Tempe Tyres tell you what you should like.

Some of the coolest wheels out there are hard to get, and that's one of the best things about modifying cars, tracking that stuff down.

Good luck, and I'd go with 19's if I was you. ;_

string
04-08-2006, 03:03 AM
For rims, a 1kg increase in weight is equivalent to a 10kg increase in car bodyweight.
1 post of bullshit generalisations is equivalent to an increase of 10 idiots who believe it.

Aren't you a mod?

BiLL|z0r
04-08-2006, 07:13 AM
1 post of bullshit generalisations is equivalent to an increase of 10 idiots who believe it.

Aren't you a mod?

He is and he is also correct, although 10 times the difference is debatable as some say anywhere from 5-10 times. Either way it's a lot and true.

Back on topic: If you wanna keep the ride, then 18's will effect it. Start with your local tyre places. They all do good deals from time to time and don't expect the big chain stores to give better deals as sometimes they won't. If your lux wheels are the '05 17" style then these are actually highly sort after and can be worth a bit. If they are 16" or the new '06 17" then not worth that much.

aaronng
04-08-2006, 08:36 AM

Aren't you a mod?
Mate, it was calculated from rotational inertia. It applies to all rotating parts inluding gears, flywheel, crankpully and driveshafts. Want to know more? A 1g change in your piston weight is equivalent to a 5kg change in car bodyweight.

bennjamin
04-08-2006, 08:44 AM
I agree 110% to what aaronng posted above.

Ignore "buzz words" for a second....

what he is stating and clearly saying is that reducing wieght at the RIMS and other parts directly linked to the engine of a car , is far more influencial on a cars performance , compared to removing static weight from the body or anywhere else.

SINCE we have answered Q 1 -

user please refer to our WANTED TO BUY section for finding places to get rims etc.

AND dont ask how much something is worth. You are a newcomer and are not allowed to sell on our forum as of yet. Please advertise or resaerch elsewhere such as www.tradingpost.com.au

yourfather
04-08-2006, 10:53 AM
but if you wanna offload em cheap i'll take em for 100 bucks.

Dazvyss
04-08-2006, 11:48 AM
but if you wanna offload em cheap i'll take em for 100 bucks.
100 bucks each thanks mate there yours:p .Regarding the weight factor of the rims I am not fussed on performance I have my own car for that the Honda's for cruising and looking good,plus keeping the wife and kids safe.

Q_ball
04-08-2006, 03:21 PM
On a Euro, seeing as ur not into performance, get some nice 18s, or maybe even bigger ;)

Dazvyss
04-08-2006, 03:37 PM
On a Euro, seeing as ur not into performance, get some nice 18s, or maybe even bigger ;)
I am now going the 18's just trying to find the right wheel its not easy for the Euro the ones I like won't fit it was much easier picking 19"s for my commondore SS.

string
04-08-2006, 06:15 PM
I agree 110% to what aaronng posted above.

Ignore "buzz words" for a second....

what he is stating and clearly saying is that reducing wieght at the RIMS and other parts directly linked to the engine of a car , is far more influencial on a cars performance , compared to removing static weight from the body or anywhere else.

SINCE we have answered Q 1 -

user please refer to our WANTED TO BUY section for finding places to get rims etc.

AND dont ask how much something is worth. You are a newcomer and are not allowed to sell on our forum as of yet. Please advertise or resaerch elsewhere such as www.tradingpost.com.au
I'm not disagreeing with what he is stating. I'm saying that numbers like that cannot be pulled out of no-where like that, and a single number never applies to every, or even most cases.

aaronng
04-08-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm not disagreeing with what he is stating. I'm saying that numbers like that cannot be pulled out of no-where like that, and a single number never applies to every, or even most cases.
Bikes: Articles stated 1kg is equivalent to 5kg
Cars: I've seen various articles stating figures from 8kg to 10kg.

yourfather
04-08-2006, 07:45 PM
100 bucks each thanks mate there yours:p .Regarding the weight factor of the rims I am not fussed on performance I have my own car for that the Honda's for cruising and looking good,plus keeping the wife and kids safe.
20's with airbags, has been done before. look forward to seeing you put pics up.

string
05-08-2006, 12:39 AM
Your piston equivilency is flawed from the start due to the fact that cars have more than one gear.

Energy requirements to accelerate a weight is a function of car speed. Piston weight's energy requirement to rotate is a function of engine speed, two unrelated variables differing due to the gearbox.

First gear will obviously feel the biggest hit from piston weight, and the effects less noticable as you go through the gears.

It's the same story as a lightened flywheel. You cannot simply give it a "horsepower" or weigh equivilency unless you start getting into some serious specifics when giving out numbers.

If I could be bothered tomorrow i'll actually calculate some real numbers. Is there some forum or post/sticky with numbers and figures of this kind that people can lookup? (havn't really looked around very much)

On another note, just because an article quotes a number, doesn't make it true. If you've ever read hot4's or the like, you'll know exactally what I mean.

On the topic of this thread, I think you should go with 16's. Then again, I silently laugh at people with big rims/bodykits.. I just can't see the satisfaction out of something you see for 60 seconds a day as you get in and out of your car. For the same price, fund a turbo setup and have some real fun :D (yes I am heavily biased towards stock looking cars, or ones modified with oem parts from the same manufacturer but different cars, since they often share styling cues)

aaronng
05-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Edit - Hmm, I've decided to edit out all my comments. Don't want to add fuel to the argument as it won't go anywhere.

BTW, gearing multiplies torque. That's why it feels more apparent in 1st than in 5th gear. A small 5Nm increase in torque on my car will feel like a huge 77.5Nm in 1st gear. What you are meant to do is to dyno when stock in 1st, 2nd and whatever gear. Reduce the weight of the piston and then redyno in the same 1st, 2nd and whatever gears. You are meant to compare with the SAME gears!

aaronng
05-08-2006, 12:01 PM
BTW, I'm glad I don't read hot4s..... I (have to) read physics books, New Scientist and journals.