PDA

View Full Version : ***I NEED HELP ON P30 B16A ECU Conversion***

XB-16-AX
04-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Hi Guys,

Im currently doing a conversion from a D16Z2 OBD0 EF9 Concerto to a B16A JDM OBD1 using a P30 ECU.

Currently in the Concerto:
4th Gen OBD0 - 89-91 EF9 Concerto D16Z2 - Cable clutch - ECU has 2 plugs only.

Converting to a:
4th Gen OBD0 - EF Crx SiR 88-91 B16A JDM VTEC Engine using a OBD1 P30 ECU - 3 Plugs.

Question 1.
I need some info and diagrams of the wiring looms e.g. from Engine Harness to ECU Plugs of what wire is what, ECU Pin out Diagram with the Labels e.g. A1,A2,B1,B2,C1,C2, etc for the concerto and the B16A P30 ECU.

Question 2.
After doing some research and getting advise from several Mech / Auto Elect Guru's, they advised to use a PR3/PW0 ECU as it will make the conversion easier but others recommend to use the P30 as getting hold of the PR3/PW0 will be a biatch azz of sourcing.

"What would be the best ECU to use for my Concerto to match the B16A engine?, do i need to change the Dizzy on the B16A OBD0 and source out a B16A OBD1 dizzy?

Question 3.
Does the P30 ECU has the necessary VTEC wires e.g. Solenoid, Knock sensor etc on these ECU?

Question 4.
Is there anything else i should be looking out for? besides the differences on the O2 Sensor.

Any help or directions is appreciated.

Dxs
04-08-2006, 12:29 PM
sounds like a nice project..
here is the Crx SiR (Ef8) vtec supplement workshop manual which may become handy: http://www.carenthusiast.com/crxuk/VTEC_Supplement.pdf

I am not experienced with obd0 to obd1 upgrade/change, so take my words with a grain of salt (and wait for an experienced person to comment).
But from what i have heard and read, if i wanted to upgrade my EF8 i would need to get a
ecu conversion harness (for the obd0 plugs to fit obd1)
a new o2 sensor for the exhaust manifold (the obd0 has 2 o2's)
a obd1 dizzy
and some rewiring

edit: there shoulds be heaps of DIY's on the net: http://home.mn.rr.com/keebler65/honda/obdconversion.html

XB-16-AX
04-08-2006, 12:40 PM
I am not experienced with obd0 to obd1 upgrade/change, so take my words with a grain of salt (and wait for an experienced person to comment).
But from what i have heard and read, if i wanted to upgrade my EF8 i would need to get a
ecu conversion harness (for the obd0 plugs to fit obd1)
a new o2 sensor for the exhaust manifold (the obd0 has 2 o2's)
a obd1 dizzy
and some rewiring

edit: there shoulds be heaps of DIY's on the net: http://home.mn.rr.com/keebler65/honda/obdconversion.html

Hasport in the US has wiring kits but they cost a fortune, Hondata US has the perfect OBD0 to OBD1 wiring harness conversion but they cost a fortune too,

This is the reason why im trying to source out the wiring diagram/ ECU pin outs for the P30 as what we'll do is just match the wiring from the engine to the P30 ECU which is matching the correct wires e.g. Ignition wire from engine to same wire on the P30 ECU using the Concerto existing wiring harness etc.

Jap Connection advised that i can still use the same O2 sensor wiring and dizzy even the injectors. its just a matter of wiring it up correctly to the ECU.

He also said that P30 ECU should have the necessary VTEC wires (4 of them i think) which is a good thing. as long as the P30 came out of an EG civic/integra etc as they use the same ECU for VTEC or Non-VTEC which is optional.

Thanks DXs.

need more info!

suprfast
04-08-2006, 12:53 PM
I have the MPFI to OBD1 Conversion harnesses. I know they work for USDM cars, but i would have to double check if your wiring is the same as ours. If thats the case it includes a complete Step by step on how to wire it up as well as a simple plug and play for your plugs. All you need to wire up is the Vtec.
http://www.mercedimports.com/pictures/obdharness/obd01.jpg
kris

Dxs
04-08-2006, 01:05 PM
i doubt it would be the case mate..
but if u do find out that u can use the stock o2's and dizzy let us know

there should be ecu pin out diagrams all over the net if u look..
i guess it wouldnt be too hard to wire the obd1 plug to the obd0 loom

XB-16-AX
04-08-2006, 01:06 PM
I have the MPFI to OBD1 Conversion harnesses. I know they work for USDM cars, but i would have to double check if your wiring is the same as ours. If thats the case it includes a complete Step by step on how to wire it up as well as a simple plug and play for your plugs. All you need to wire up is the Vtec.
http://www.mercedimports.com/pictures/obdharness/obd01.jpg
kris

Yeh can you clarify if the wiring is the same as the USDM P30 ECU's?

How much is it for one of those puppies anywayz?

Dxs
04-08-2006, 01:06 PM
http://www.hybridgarage.com/tech/index.html
goto ECU pinouts

XB-16-AX
04-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Dxs - The VTEC Suppliment Pdf url you provided is very kool, but for what version of ECU is the service manual for ?

PR3/Pw0 - OBD0

or is it for the P30 - OBD1

this is where i get confused...

Ive already got the P30 ECU pin outs from hybridgarage but it didnt have the diagram of the "female" plug of the ECU ..

CRXer
04-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Pinouts (http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=3572)

Another Pinouts (http://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/ecu-pinouts-28667/)

suprfast
04-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I sell that for 105.00USD + s/h. PM me your postal code and i will give you an accurate quote. I have one left in stock, before i have to reorder. Ill call and ask around about the compatibility. STUPID QUESTION on my part, but are OZ cars left hand or right hand drive? From my understanding the only time the wiring changes is on the RHD cars since the loom is routed differently etc...

The instructions are very simple. Ill try and upload some so you can take a look.
kris

suprfast
04-08-2006, 03:38 PM
jsut as i promised, the instructions for the harness.

Step By Step Conversion Harness Instructions (http://www.mercedimports.com/suprfast/boomslang/obd0_1.pdf)

Dxs
04-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Dxs - The VTEC Suppliment Pdf url you provided is very kool, but for what version of ECU is the service manual for ?

The manual is for EF8's.. Which is Crx SiR the 89-91. Which is OBD0. The engine that you say you have.

also you stated that you have an EF9 Concerto. This is not correct. EF9 is the Civic Sir like 89-91ish. Same as the CRX but a civic. Just so this is clarified and you dont confused yourself by looking at EF9 information.

jdmTYPE R
04-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Yeh can you clarify if the wiring is the same as the USDM P30 ECU's?

How much is it for one of those puppies anywayz?

yeh the wiring harness is the same US is just located on the opersite side from the AUS

suprfast
05-08-2006, 02:25 AM
yeh the wiring harness is the same US is just located on the opersite side from the AUS
If the wiring is the same, the harness will work. Wish i had someone to test it out with
kris

jdmTYPE R
05-08-2006, 01:25 PM
If the wiring is the same, the harness will work. Wish i had someone to test it out with
kris

well these conversion harness is made from the US and im using 1 on my car now and it works fine

suprfast
05-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Well then, can i get a w00t
kris

XB-16-AX
06-08-2006, 09:05 PM
The manual is for EF8's.. Which is Crx SiR the 89-91. Which is OBD0. The engine that you say you have.

also you stated that you have an EF9 Concerto. This is not correct. EF9 is the Civic Sir like 89-91ish. Same as the CRX but a civic. Just so this is clarified and you dont confused yourself by looking at EF9 information.

Concerto's are EF series but dont exactly know if its EF8-9's .. but yes they are in the 88-91 series.

Yes the engine im using is the OBD0 B16A but the ECU im using is an P30 OBD1 ... major wiring loom conversions!

XB-16-AX
06-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Well then, can i get a w00t
kris

dayem .. 105+ US dollars ..

thats like almost 300 AUS dollars..

shiet i might have to just use existing concerto loom and just cut of the end plugs and connect the P30 ECU plugs on it,,, making sure that it matches which wire is which for the P30 ecu im using.

farrrkkkkkkkkkkkkk :o

XB-16-AX
07-08-2006, 05:11 PM
kris

dude ..i can be the tester for ya ;P it'll be like a trial to confirm if the conversion works here in AUS, therefore when more people like me who are looking into doing conversions like this can source out the conversion harness from ya! and it will be like "tested to work"

No charge to me though as its "trial" testing purpose and i will write up a whole documentation of the conversion for ya as well.

let me know! when your ready to send a OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness to me ill PM you my address ;P ;)

suprfast
08-08-2006, 02:38 AM
What is my garauntee that you will do the above. If you pre pay for it, do what you claim you will do, i can refund payment afterwards. All must be done in a timely fashion. Im sure we can work something out
kris

XB-16-AX
08-08-2006, 10:13 AM
What is my garauntee that you will do the above. If you pre pay for it, do what you claim you will do, i can refund payment afterwards. All must be done in a timely fashion. Im sure we can work something out
kris

dude, my word is guaranteed, in about Aug 29 is when the engine will be swaped around give it maybe 3days thent he wiring will be next, im getting my mechanic to do the engine swap and they will try and hook up the wiring also but im abit sceptic about their experiece in hondas, so i prefer to get ur loom conversion so it will make the job easier.

i will be taking 2 weeks off from work so i will be at the mechanics workshop all day, and ill be taking photos and noting down processes of the whole conversion as i want to have my own portfolio of the project and at the same time give u a copy as well for your safe keepings.!

if i had enuf funds i would of ordered the harness conversion off ya already but since im abit tight coz i aint gettin shiee back from tax (coz i owe them) im tryin to find alternative but effective ways.

let me know via PM

Dxs
08-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Concerto's are EF series but dont exactly know if its EF8-9's .. but yes they are in the 88-91 series.

EF8 = Crx SiR (vtec b16a1)
EF9 = Civic Sir (vtec b16a1)

Both are imports to this country (never sold from honda AU)

I think concerto are HW
which is a weird code.. check the code in the bay i guess

XB-16-AX
08-08-2006, 04:17 PM
EF8 = Crx SiR (vtec b16a1)
EF9 = Civic Sir (vtec b16a1)

Both are imports to this country (never sold from honda AU)

I think concerto are HW
which is a weird code.. check the code in the bay i guess

Concerto's are not australian built ..they are imports as well but this was yonkers ago .. haah

coz everytime i enquire about parts n shiee from honbitz and other spares they say EF .which is OBD0 ..

but yeh ill have a look at the engine bay ..

btw guys my ECU PPR is a 3plug juzz had a look at it yesterday ..

Dxs
08-08-2006, 04:27 PM
I never said australian built..
You could be right about the concerto being EF.. but i highly doubt it

EF8 and EF9's that are in this country were only sold in japan and were the only cars to have the first generation of b16s (well integra xsi's had them as well). This is why the wrecker maybe refers to things as EF. So yeah there was never a b16a1 in a car sold NEW in Australia.

Also i dont see the point of a VAFC if u have a new ecu

XB-16-AX
08-08-2006, 04:43 PM
I never said australian built..
You could be right about the concerto being EF.. but i highly doubt it

EF8 and EF9's that are in this country were only sold in japan and were the only cars to have the first generation of b16s (well integra xsi's had them as well). This is why the wrecker maybe refers to things as EF. So yeah there was never a b16a1 in a car sold NEW in Australia.

Also i dont see the point of a VAFC if u have a new ecu

i get ya drifto's ..

yeh its like 50/50 since concerto's were imported from japan to aus, and the blarrdy engine is practically the same as the EF civic's/crx's i guess the wreckers had named them as EF terminology, but if i was to speak to a proper honda service parts etc.. they know it was MA2 built name as thats that originates them from the EF series. regardless if i say EF/MA2 they know what im talkin about .. ehehhe :thumbsup:

10points! for clarifiying that up ..

yeh i guess ur right .. the hondata s200 will do most or all of its work but this is a proposed ECU plans after the P30 is put in, but if not the VAFC will control the switchin ..or have both for display looks heheh :p

Dxs
08-08-2006, 08:00 PM
well the civics and crx's here are ED's
the EF's have a different engine bay and front design..

but anyway, just wanted to clarify. Because if you told someone in the know that you wanna put a B series in an EF.. they would say it is quite easy.. in a ED is bit harder though.

Yankees often refer to ED's as EF's.. it is just some bad knowledge that spread on the net..

i dont reckon soldering the loom to a different plug would be that hard either.. maybe just get some masking tape and label each wire then cut them all and expose them.. and join to the corrosponding wire on the plug..

good luck anyway mate.. dont like the sound of an mech who is inexperienced with honda conversions though. ECUMAN did a very good DIY of a b16a1 into an ED, it would be a must read for you if you havent already:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46374

XB-16-AX
11-08-2006, 09:25 AM
well the civics and crx's here are ED's
the EF's have a different engine bay and front design..

but anyway, just wanted to clarify. Because if you told someone in the know that you wanna put a B series in an EF.. they would say it is quite easy.. in a ED is bit harder though.

Yankees often refer to ED's as EF's.. it is just some bad knowledge that spread on the net..

i dont reckon soldering the loom to a different plug would be that hard either.. maybe just get some masking tape and label each wire then cut them all and expose them.. and join to the corrosponding wire on the plug..

good luck anyway mate.. dont like the sound of an mech who is inexperienced with honda conversions though. ECUMAN did a very good DIY of a b16a1 into an ED, it would be a must read for you if you havent already:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46374

thansk for the DIY link ..very usefull ...

suprfast
12-08-2006, 12:04 PM
thansk for the DIY link ..very usefull ...

Quite welcome
kris

XB-16-AX
17-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Does anyone know if the B16A OBD1 engine mounts are the same as the B16A OBD0 ? and what is the best manual cable gearbox bolts onto this puppies?

does anyone have a complete engine,loom,ecu,tranny up for sale?