PDA

View Full Version : Help in choosing a 06 Civic model.

chrissara
06-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi all - first post, so I hope I am not breaking any rules.

I am selling my Ford 04 XR6T which putting bluntly is a good car but extremely thirsty. I am replacing it with a small/medium size car and am looking at 5 cars:

1. Honda Civic VTI-L (around $27000 drive away)
2. Honda Civic Sport (around $33000 drive away)
3. Hyuandai Sonota (around $30000 drive away)
4. 2nd hand 2004 Toyota Prius (around $29990 drive away)
5. Holden Astra CDTi (around $32000 drive away)

My main three requirements are fuel economy, safety and luggage space (as it is replacing the family car). Most of my driving is around town in a regional area, but with maybe two or three trips to Brisbane each year (this is where luggage space comes in). Have two children aged 6 and 3.

Now the Honda Civic VTI-L has four airbags, as opposed to 6 in the Sport, Astra and Sonata. Prius only has two. Prius and Astra have comparable fuel economy, followed by the Civic, Civic Sport and Sonata.

Luggage space in the Astra is low, followed by the Prius, Civics and Sonata.

Now crunch time. I am taking Sonata out of the equation. Maybe unfair, maybe not. I think i will take the Prius out next. This leaves the Civic vs Astra.

In all honesty, if I ignore the sunroof and curtain airbags in the Sport, am I better looking at the VTI-L? Hell, it is $5000 cheaper, which means a lot, and also consumes slightly less fuel.

Therefore, I suppose my question is whether the differences between the Civic Sport and VTI-L are justifiable for a safe, fuel effiecient family sedan? Local Honda reps are obviously pushing the Sport, and are saying there is no room to move off retail (as it is a new model according to them). They may throw in some mudguards or something, but I am ignoring that for this time.

Your comments appreciated.

yeehou
06-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Why not get the Vti which is even more cheaper?

chrissara
06-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Hmm fair question - I think this is one of my problems (gadget freak I am) and distancing myself from nice but non-essentials to essentials.

Curtain airbags have me. If the VTI-L came with curtains or as an optional accessory I would be getting it.

dc2dc2dc2
06-08-2006, 12:37 PM
why not a jazz if u are looking for a small car ? :)

yeehou
06-08-2006, 12:43 PM
If the $5000 difference is not a problem to you, get the Sport. The new camry is not bad as well.

Nikki
06-08-2006, 12:55 PM
i really dont like the interior trim on either the vti-l or the sport..

Jazzle
06-08-2006, 07:34 PM
vti-L has side bags which vti doesn't..

i wouldn't consider holden and hyundai (that's just me).. prius seems to meet ur requirement. but i think it's not as big as civic.. but civic drinks more petrol...

wat about civic hybrid??

nugget666
06-08-2006, 07:38 PM
I personaly wouldnt touch hte astra.

lady at work just went through 5 vavles. as the timting belt needs reaplcing every 60,000kms and she didnt know.

Bob san
06-08-2006, 10:13 PM
i think a vti would be a good choice. the car has a little bit of power and is very solid package overall.

Scratch2k
07-08-2006, 09:49 AM
I personaly wouldnt touch hte astra.

lady at work just went through 5 vavles. as the timting belt needs reaplcing every 60,000kms and she didnt know.

In the Diesel version? I don't think so...

Anyway, I had a similar decision recently and ended up posting this thread

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47876

on my short list was a petrol Astra so I don't think you can take any of the stories about the reliability of the engine into account, I ended up taking the civic over the astra for that reason alone..I think if it was Civic VTi vs Diesel Astra the outcame may have been different (but, if I was going to spent 30k+ I would have gone for a Subaru Impreza Wagon).

IS250
07-08-2006, 10:16 AM
How about a Volkswagen Jetta? Slightly more expensive but it does have 6 airbags, ESP and should have enough gadgets to keep you happy.

Datuk
07-08-2006, 11:26 AM
get the vti a good buy! Goes well and good fuel economy!

Jaso
15-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Hey there chrissara!

I think you should aslo consider these in the high 20's - low 30's.

VE Commodore: Omega - Huge, 180kw V6 (Pleanty of grunt but not as thirsty as your XR6t), safe (can get curtian airbags, esp standard), looks and feels great (saw it in flesh yesterday)

Mitsubishi 380: Like the commodore, cant get curtain airbags though (dunno about ESP). Cheaper though.

Toyota Rav4: Large, 2.4L 4cly, Safety pack is only $750.

Toyota Camry: (Hint check out then Lexus ES350 on the US site ;) )
Looks good, list of kit not that bad.

Honda Accord Euro - Nice car, good equipment list, have to get the sport or luxury to get curtain airbags though.

Subaru Liberty - Like the Accord Euro. Should be able to get a good price as the MY07 should be around soon - Curtain airbags standard.

Mazda 6 - Similar to Euro, Libery, Camry.

-----

Out of the ones you mention, i would go at check out the Sonata, Hyundai make very good cars now (3rd most reliable in the US i think...).

Perhaps you could get a demo Civic Sport???

Hope this helps.