PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with my brake lights

johnn
07-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Hi all..

I thought this might be a noob question.. But I've got a problem with one of my brake lights..when I press the brakes one light is brighter than the other... I've changed that brake light and put on a brand new one because that light was busted! and I think since then its been brighter than the other side.. what I did was change the bulb from the other side and use it on the side which caused the light to be brighter.. and it did the same thing..

Could it be the different bulbs..with different voltz...

Would anyone know what the problem would be..

Zdster
07-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Sounds like the replacement bulb is different to the standard. Where did you get the bulb? Remove the original one and take it into Honda or an auto parts store and ask for an exact replacement.

Elwood
07-08-2006, 07:41 PM
you cant get the cheap part for EVERYTHING :P honda should have the right one..

EuroDude
07-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Swap the bulbs around and see if the opposite side is now brighter, if so, then you bought the wrong bulb rating.

If you swap those bulbs around and the same light still light up more, then it could be caused by a short in the bulb housings causing strange illumination.

Are both brake light assemblies the originals? If one housing has been replaced due to an accident, the newer one would be a bit brighter since the plastic can dull over time.

aimre
07-08-2006, 11:55 PM
just replace the other bulb with one fromt he same place u got the other one.

Zdster
08-08-2006, 09:42 AM
you cant get the cheap part for EVERYTHING :P honda should have the right one..

As far as I know, this has nothing to do with 'cheap parts'. It is either due to an electrical short or incorrect bulb.

saxman
08-08-2006, 10:19 AM
If you're using a dual filament bulb, it's possible to put it into the harness wrong, if the harness is damaged, or you have the wrong bulb.

You're probably illuminating the dim filament on one bulb and the bright filament on the other.

AsH_
29-09-2006, 01:11 PM
wen my headlight are on, the rear are working, but wen i brake, the break light dont light up brighter...

wats wrong here???

only the LEDs on my spoiler light up...

Honda Enthusiast
29-09-2006, 01:15 PM
I have a feeling it's there's a difference in the amount of charge going into them...one has more power surging through than the other? Best thing to do is, swap the side that's working normally onto the side that's not and see if this problem persists... by dong this, you'll know if it's the bulb or the actually connection of one side over the other - I would bring it to a mechanic... one of my headlamps didn't shine as bright as the other and I just took my car to a mechanic and they fixed it up in like 10 minutes cost me $10.00 so yeah, I wouldn't worry about it as it can be fixed cheaply!

AsH_
29-09-2006, 01:21 PM
wow, ok ill tell the mech wen i get my car serviced on wednesday...

Honda Enthusiast
29-09-2006, 01:24 PM
wow, ok ill tell the mech wen i get my car serviced on wednesday...

Just so that you won't waste time, I would suggest you buy a set of new globes for your brake lights so that if they discover that there's something wrong with it - wham, you can ask him to install the new ones there and then without wasting time... I don't know which ones fit your car or where's best for you to buy them so you might have to ask around or do some research.

Good luck mate - tell us how you go!

AsH_
29-09-2006, 01:26 PM
ive replaced the globes already...
problem still there...

Honda Enthusiast
29-09-2006, 01:28 PM
:thumbsup:
ive replaced the globes already...
problem still there...

Oh I see, in that case - yeah, get him to check it out...sounds like some wiring or power delivery inbalance to one of your globe...can be fixed though...would'nt worry about it! good luck mate!

bungsai
29-09-2006, 01:34 PM
wen my headlight are on, the rear are working, but wen i brake, the break light dont light up brighter...

wats wrong here???

only the LEDs on my spoiler light up...

Make sure you have dual filament bulb.

On my teg, i have a dual filament rear bulb, similar to a H4 headlight.

On normal driving lights, the lower filament is lit, when i brake, the other one lights up too, therefore brighter.

Check this, as there are single filament bulbs that will fit, but wont light brighter when u brake.

Example

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/bungsai/single.jpg
single

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/bungsai/dual.jpg
double

AsH_
29-09-2006, 01:57 PM
my 2nd filament has blown on both lights...

thats weird coz they arent that old either...

oh wellz... ill go buy some more...

Zdster
29-09-2006, 03:24 PM
my 2nd filament has blown on both lights...

thats weird coz they arent that old either...

oh wellz... ill go buy some more...

Just the second filament? That is interesting. I would have thought that if one goes they are both inclined to go.

AsH_
29-09-2006, 03:29 PM
not in my case...