PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt Motor now wont idol

FastFwd
07-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Hey all

ive just got the b16a japspec series 2 motor rebuild with forged internals and ive got it back and installed the motor back into the car...everythings back together but now the thing wont idol. i got it started and if i keep my foot on the gas it sounds fine but if i let go it will just die.

ive got a apexi Power FC computer, standard injectors, standard fuel pump, fuel pressure reg.

i have all aftermarket fuel system but im going to run it in with the ECU map i have running 6 pound boost running the standard fuel system until 1000 k's.

does anyone have an idea's. ive done some trouble shooting but i can figure it out any help would be great.

EuroDude
07-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Have you tried adjusting the throttle adjustment screw on the throttle body?

FastFwd
07-08-2006, 12:41 PM
It that where the throttle cable connects to the Throttle body? i adjusted the cable. or do you mean another screw on the throttle body?

BananaBoat
07-08-2006, 12:41 PM
No shit it wont idle, its a different motor now, and I assume flat top turbo pistons, low compression...

FastFwd
07-08-2006, 12:47 PM
No shit it wont idle, its a different motor now, and I assume flat top turbo pistons, low compression...

sorry ill give you more info.

its a 92 civic hatch that had a twin carb d15b4 motor which i replaced with full conversion over a year ago. up until 3 months ago it was working fine then i blew the motor so ive had a complete rebuild with forged internals and pistons with a 8 point something compression ratio. i had my mate andy who's a toda registered in Victoria Map my ECU on another car with exact specs as my car. so i can run it in on a 6 psi map with standard fuel system then i'll put the after market fuel system on and maybe run it upto 20psi if all goes well.

why dont you think it will ido with the new rebuilt motor?

BseriesPLZ
07-08-2006, 12:47 PM
you need to retune the power FC to the new engine...

FastFwd
07-08-2006, 12:50 PM
you need to retune the power FC to the new engine...

it has been.

not thoroughly but decent and safe enough to run it in for 1000k's then i will get it tuned properly.

BananaBoat
07-08-2006, 12:53 PM
sorry ill give you more info.

its a 92 civic hatch that had a twin carb d15b4 motor which i replaced with full conversion over a year ago. up until 3 months ago it was working fine then i blew the motor so ive had a complete rebuild with forged internals and pistons with a 8 point something compression ratio. i had my mate andy who's a toda registered in Victoria Map my ECU on another car with exact specs as my car. so i can run it in on a 6 psi map with standard fuel system then i'll put the after market fuel system on and maybe run it upto 20psi if all goes well.

why dont you think it will ido with the new rebuilt motor?

there's your problem right there.
Tune your car right, get an O2 sensor in exhaust and look at ur mixtures and timing.
Dont take corners!
Get your "TODA Approved" LOL mate to fix your car issues on your car, not someone elses.

FastFwd
07-08-2006, 01:03 PM
there's your problem right there.
Tune your car right, get an O2 sensor in exhaust and look at ur mixtures and timing.
Dont take corners!
Get your "TODA Approved" LOL mate to fix your car issues on your car, not someone elses.

if i had that option i would but im in perth and hes in melb.

even if i run my standard ECU it wont idol. which every mechanic has told me to do and said that it should still idol even with the new rebuild.

nothing has changed on my car but pistons rods and bearings. it should still all be the same.

BseriesPLZ
07-08-2006, 01:05 PM
running a built un-tuned engine you can easily destroy it. Be VERY careful.

FastFwd
07-08-2006, 01:09 PM
running a built un-tuned engine you can easily destroy it. Be VERY careful.

i have two mechanics helping me but they have never worked on my motor before. there doing some research into it today also, im going to continue to work on it tonight with them.

where going to check fuel pressure. my pressure reg guage isnt working. so it might also be that... dont know yet.

but if it didnt have enough pressure the car wont start at all...which it sounds sweet if i keep my foot on the gas. i dunno....

FastFwd
07-08-2006, 01:11 PM
sounds like something really small. like a sensor or something. just cant figure it out

EuroDude
07-08-2006, 01:36 PM
It that where the throttle cable connects to the Throttle body? i adjusted the cable. or do you mean another screw on the throttle body?

Use a flathead screwdriver to adjust the throttle adjustment:
http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/9830/image1kt0.jpg

But I think there is a special procedure to adjust it properly, such as unplugging the IACV sensor or something (Search ozhonda for "Adjust throttle")

Have you checked for ECU Error codes?

FastFwd
07-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Use a flathead screwdriver to adjust the throttle adjustment:
http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/9830/image1kt0.jpg

But I think there is a special procedure to adjust it properly, such as unplugging the IACV sensor or something (Search ozhonda for "Adjust throttle")

Have you checked for ECU Error codes?

thanks for the help.

no i havent how do i check that?

BananaBoat
07-08-2006, 01:49 PM
if i had that option i would but im in perth and hes in melb.

even if i run my standard ECU it wont idol. which every mechanic has told me to do and said that it should still idol even with the new rebuild.

nothing has changed on my car but pistons rods and bearings. it should still all be the same.

Theyre all wrong, it wont idle correctly what so ever.

Personally, if you're going to mess with idle screws and various sensors, just make sure theyre all in spec, dont go messing with them otherwise.

Then, get the damn thing tuned properly.

EuroDude
07-08-2006, 02:19 PM
To check the ECU code, follow this guide:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9846

That may give you a clue as to whats wrong.

I can't see how adjusting the throttle screw can hurt if its done for diagnostic reasons (keeping the revs low and not driving the car). But to be safe, I think you better get it tuned by a pro like Banana said :thumbsup:
You dont wanna damage the engine again.

[[d a n n y]]
07-08-2006, 02:24 PM
none of this ECU guide wll work..
just dont touh the motor.
take it to a dyno tuner
get it done properly.
dont touch the idle screws just get it towed. there..
the reasone for your not revving is the b16a runs 10;X;X cr.
but now your running 8;x;x cr bigg diffrerent..
all your mixtures will be wrong and tuned wrong.
dont thinkabout running your car in with the current settings..
i did this once on my gtr blew the RB28(2.8L)n 4K kms it had over 25K worth of engine mods done to it.
just like that it was gone.
i suggest u do what i tell u to do unless u wanna rebuild it again

BananaBoat
07-08-2006, 03:39 PM
]']i suggest u do what i tell u to do unless u wanna rebuild it again

Exactly what he should do, but whats the bet he won't?!

barefootbonzai
09-08-2006, 09:53 AM
So strange the answer has been answered so many times (get it tunned) yet you don't wanna listern...

bennjamin
09-08-2006, 10:21 AM
update ? HAS the car been tuned ? *waits for post in lounge of car-on-fire on side of motorway*

jimmeh
09-08-2006, 11:38 AM
if its a brand new power fc the is no data on it and thats y i wont idle.
you can start it but then it turns off straight away?

i had the same prob with a hondata with zero setting on it.
take it to a FC turner and ask for a b16a map so u can drive it around.

FastFwd
09-08-2006, 03:28 PM
if its a brand new power fc the is no data on it and thats y i wont idle.
you can start it but then it turns off straight away?

i had the same prob with a hondata with zero setting on it.
take it to a FC turner and ask for a b16a map so u can drive it around.

thats what ive already done! thats why i couldnt figure out why it wouldnt idol, it wouldnt idol even with the old standard ecu.

anyways i figured it out, it was two MAP sensors around the wrong way. i mixed the one behind the throttle body, i think its called the cold idol controller, and the one underneith the throttlebody just above the oil filter area.

started her up, got master guages to check fuel and oil pressure to make sure my after market fuel and oil guages were running correctly. got it towed to the guy who put together my block, he checked fuel and air mixtures to see if it was safe to drive to run in for 500 - 1000k's and said it was all fine.

drove it yesterday arvo and im going to take it to exhaust shop tomorrow to get a screemer pipe made for my wastegate. then next week should have it all properly tuned and finished by either overboost or hyperdrive.

if anyone knows any other tuners that are decent in perth with FC's let me know.

VT3C
09-08-2006, 03:43 PM
who in perth built your motor ? who tuned it (overboost ?) are you on the vtechnique forum ?

FastFwd
09-08-2006, 03:52 PM
who in perth built your motor ? who tuned it (overboost ?) are you on the vtechnique forum ?

Balcatta engine re-con built it, i finished the build into the car. the Map was done by a guy in melbourne, but i will be getting it properly tuned very soon.

no im not? isnt vtechnique that perth honda crew?

SINISTR
09-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Ovaboost! in Malaga!

SINISTR
09-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Vtechnique - Civic and Integra Car club - i'll let VT3C give you the forum address...

if i can put a plug in here [WAHONDA] www.wahonda.proboards101.com is also a forum run for all Honda owners in WA

joyride
11-08-2006, 10:45 AM
just so you know, its spelt IDLE.
IDOL is someone you look up to.

in for updates, i wanna see what this motor can do.

string
12-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Get your screamer pipe plugged into your dump pipe. They sound absolutely terrible.

Also, I think everyone here is worrying about this "tuning" way too much. He isn't driving it hard; With a map based on a similar car, there'll be no danger in him driving around slightly rich/lean. It takes some extremely off fuel conditions to cause a car to not idle; and this case ended up being a sensor issue anyway.

The dilema is he facing is that he is going to baby it for 1000km on the stock fuel system... Now unless he plans on busting out full rpm/throttle he won't be tuning it fully, especially not on stock fuel system.

joyride
13-08-2006, 10:06 AM
he says he has the aftermarket fuel system but why doesnt he install it already then tune the power fc? if he wants to run the motor in, just install the new fuel system so it wont have the problem he is facing already.
what a strange fellow.

VT3C
14-08-2006, 02:11 PM
and that is why he's here asking for advice - if someone asks for help on ozh, why do people always flame ? ohh I know why..

joyride
15-08-2006, 07:37 AM
because its the internet, get used to it.