PDA

View Full Version : static from amp help

wkdteg
07-08-2006, 01:50 PM
hey guys, just got my car back last week, which meant i had 2 reinstall all my old gear again.
i had everythin up and runnin when the car is on accessories, but when the ignition is on, theres a weird static sound commin from the speakers. it progressivly gets worse as i plant the accelerator, and eases up 2 a whine on idle. im runnin the power cable on the drivers side, with the rcas on the passanger side. all the gear is the same as b4, except for the earth cable which is longer than the old 1, and repositioned (i didnt know where it was b4).
any ideas on how 2 remedy this? its pissin me off... i need tunes!!!
cheers

rtsnoz
07-08-2006, 02:49 PM
It sounds like its a grounding problem....

Do you have a pioneer deck? if so - could've you touched any RCA's/speaker leads together with the unit on during installation? If so you may have blown something inside your deck... I had mine repaired for $85.

shehan
07-08-2006, 03:23 PM
i have the smae problem but its because i had to connect my amp to my stock head unit which did not have the rca outs... it makes it sound like the cars supercharged as it makes a high pitched whining noise as you accelerate... unfortunately thers nothgin you can do to get rid of it ,, unless you buy a new head unit with rca outputs.....

VTi_b0i
07-08-2006, 03:33 PM
i have a JVC deck and i get that same bullshit too.. engine noise coming thru the speakers, ihave had it for a while, so i just turn the deck off and liten to the engine lol i only drive it on weekends so its not too bad...
but how can i fix it :(

rtsnoz
07-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Yeh it sounds like a grounding problem... check the grounding on your headunit and amp... I'm assuming your RCAs aren't travelling together with the power cable?

Also it is possible to buy noise filters which you plug the rcas into before they hit the amp... This can fix problems, but isn't really a fantastic solution... Also try it out before you leave the shop with it.

zorrt
07-08-2006, 04:42 PM
if you're hearin engine noise (kinda like whistling as you accelerate) chances are you have grounding issues. Check your amp ground. Make sure you've earthed on a solid area bare metal area. Thinner area arent as good and thicker areas as its more likely to be welded onto other sections of the car. Sand down the area for a better contact. Earth cable should also be same thickness of power cable.

If static comes through the line, make sure power and sound cables arent running alongside one another. Best if kept as far away from each other as possible.

wkdteg
07-08-2006, 07:23 PM
the deck wasnt removed when it went in2 the shop, only the rest of the gear. its a jvc double din, and im pretty sure that its got rca outs. theres 2 sets runnin 2 the amp. the ground cable is the same 1 i used on my old car, which is right under the boot lock, and is a pre existing ground for sumthin else.
it does sound like a supercharger whine... but its pretty damn annoying... didnt have it when it was installed b4.
i think im gonna go over the lot again when i get some time...
if use got any more ideas... keep em commin
cheers

oldskoolz911
09-08-2006, 12:45 PM
hey man, i get the same thing to! the noises gets higher as u accelerate >=/ if u find a way to fix it tell us!

aznpsuazn
10-08-2006, 02:07 AM
What zort said is correct. Sand down the earthing area, clean, and bolt it down tightly. also make sure all electricals are soldiered clean and proper guys. This will fix your problem.