PDA

View Full Version : Pod Filter On Em1 Civic Coupe

kelviN
07-08-2006, 08:01 PM
hey guys, just got myself an em1 and really want an air intake...

anyone knows if its possible to just buy a pod and fit it directly on to the stock pipe and removing the stock air box?

mrwillz
07-08-2006, 08:06 PM
jus buy a full intake..

tRipitaka
07-08-2006, 08:07 PM
hey guys, just got myself an em1 and really want an air intake...

anyone knows if its possible to just buy a pod and fit it directly on to the stock pipe and removing the stock air box?
yes, it is possible..
aslong as you purchase the right intake diameter of the pod/adaptor

Q_ball
07-08-2006, 08:08 PM
As stated, it is possible, however also very defectable leaving your pod filter exposed.

dsp26
07-08-2006, 08:33 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=817507&postcount=2

a CAI is technically MORE legal than a WAI setup as the pod won't be in the engine bay.

Reasons POD are illegal (legal defense with use of heat shield is negligible to the EPA):
- Could catch on fire ESPECIALLY if its oiled WHEN the car backfires up the intake.
- Excessive induction noise
- modified Emmisions resulting from hot engine air going in as well as the possible changing of the actual intake pipe.

The ^^^ first one does happen... i've had it happen to my hand while i was spraying throttle body cleaner in there... imagine what happens if you have fuel/ignition problems.... especially in summer....

SHIFTY
07-08-2006, 08:37 PM
m8 i would advise 2 keep ur stock intake and just change the filter ( it will not increase performance unless the new pod is bigger then the old filter !)
But if you really whant a Pod i would advise to get a boxed in one !

Best of luck with the modifications !

[ricer]
07-08-2006, 08:40 PM
buy a dc2 air box
its a pod in a box
cant go wrong
oem too

m3ntAL_l2
07-08-2006, 08:41 PM
k&n drop in ones?!

m3ntAL_l2
07-08-2006, 11:58 PM
:S omfg man... plZ dont do that ever again...

DreadAngel
08-08-2006, 12:11 AM
M8, for a few minutes your engine was hanging in the balance, heaps dangerous potential lethal, one nice size pebble/rock or some foreign object going in and bye bye engine...

If your really after the induction sound and don't mind getting defected by the coppers if they inspect your car, like the others mentioned get the right size and it should be alright.

dsp26
08-08-2006, 01:00 AM
haha all those reasons are very valid, however i have tried disconnecting the airbox so that air rushes directly into the engine ( without a filter...but only for a few minutes) and it sounded so awesome and when vtec hit, there was a totally different tone. Thats why i want a pod filter and don't have too much money lying around haha. Aftermarket drop in panel is good, but it wont get the induction sound i want.

answered your own question. do as everyone else has said and get the K&N panel replacement. you can't afford a defect.. even if they let you off they/ll make you change it back and your pod was a waste.

yes all cars ound awesome without a filter.. especially a vtec or any car with quads... but yes as mentioned by DreadedAngel also.. don't do it again. it only takes a few grains of sand or particles to damage your piston rings...

most cars have them but if your Honda motor has a resonator attached between Filter and TB then remove it and block it off if you want as it will add induction noise.

Kandy
08-08-2006, 01:06 AM
as most people said, it's much easier to get a panel filter and no defect problems... but in saying that i have a pod filter and i just took my car through the pits here in SA (to remove defect) and the inspector didn't even care- not sure what it's like where you're from... or maybe he was just slack and decided to let me off

DSNTGR8
10-08-2006, 01:17 PM
i got defected a few months back for rims, lowering and pod exposed. police can be such ****wits!!!!

kelviN
10-08-2006, 02:24 PM
how were u defected?

were u speeding then got pulled over......or it was just a random pull over?

DSNTGR8
10-08-2006, 03:11 PM
^^ it was a defect station, unfortunately when you drive a hot modded car the boys in blue are always after you lol

Elwood
13-08-2006, 12:49 PM
haha all those reasons are very valid, however i have tried disconnecting the airbox so that air rushes directly into the engine ( without a filter...but only for a few minutes) and it sounded so awesome and when vtec hit, there was a totally different tone. Thats why i want a pod filter and don't have too much money lying around haha. Aftermarket drop in panel is good, but it wont get the induction sound i want.

and as soon as a spec of sand gets near your pistons the sound of grinding hits its a totally differant tone :P