PDA

View Full Version : :spooling noise: sound a like

geo41e
15-05-2004, 04:19 PM
hey dudes, as u may know, i recently purchased a simota intake pipe which is the copy of Js racing..the really fat one
anyway

shoved it in my si, and now when i punch it to 6500rpm..sounds nice..buit after 6500...it sounds like a turbo spooling up..like..really really loud man...

only happenes above 6500+....anybody know what this sound is ??

the resonator box is gone, and l've gotta direct hole which sucks in cold air..any suggestions>>

fusion_VTi
15-05-2004, 04:28 PM
my eg makes a noise like that but only when the air is cold and u have to listen pretty hard. mine sounds like a pinging noise i dunno if it can be good or bad..

[[d a n n y]]
15-05-2004, 04:38 PM
is it an exposed pod?

i think it's normal on all pods..

it's sucking in more air as it goes to higher revs

so it could sounds like a turbo spooling up...

A'PEXi
15-05-2004, 04:49 PM
lol i don't think it quite sounds like a turbo spooling, just the pod sucking the air in :D

CAT_SPEW
15-05-2004, 05:31 PM
Had my first taste of VTEC yesterday and I LUV IT!!! So damn loud too, but I ain't complaining :D:D
I don't get the "spooling" noise, just a whole lotta sucking happening.

[[d a n n y]]
15-05-2004, 05:35 PM
ahahah have u dont it mate?

congrats mate..

i told ya you'll loce it..

bennjamin
15-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Taking off all the original airbox + all piping etc will do just the opposite of what it was designed to do - and that is to be as quiet as possible !

So - it makes an almost "super charger" whine throughout the rev range - will make a nice sucking noise down low when u punch it lol .

But..alas that noise is detrimental (?!) to your engine , as it is sucking in piping hot air fresh from circulating from around the exhust manifold etc
:roll: BUT it sounds cool :)

[ slayer ]
15-05-2004, 06:03 PM
yer, its just the normal sound from an exposed pod, i get that noise all the time, i think it sounds kinda cool but i would prefer the stock air box as that doesnt suck in the hot air at least. but oh well, the sound of the pod is cool :)

mo
15-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Taking off all the original airbox + all piping etc will do just the opposite of what it was designed to do - and that is to be as quiet as possible !

So - it makes an almost "super charger" whine throughout the rev range - will make a nice sucking noise down low when u punch it lol .

But..alas that noise is detrimental (?!) to your engine , as it is sucking in piping hot air fresh from circulating from around the exhust manifold etc
:roll: BUT it sounds cool :)

But I like the hot air la! :P

XXpl0Sive
15-05-2004, 07:13 PM
But as your car moves, air travels through the engine bay through the grill.

[[d a n n y]]
15-05-2004, 07:22 PM
yeah well only a lil bit...

so it's tchinclly still sucking in hot air lah..

bennjamin
15-05-2004, 07:31 PM

IF only the hot ass AC condensor and radiator wernt in the way , the header was on the opposite side like a k series....and there was a huge ass air dam on the front - MAYBE you would get cold air with a POD filter :roll:

Weq
15-05-2004, 07:49 PM
yeah, i get that to. its the pod.

XXpl0Sive
15-05-2004, 07:59 PM

IF only the hot ass AC condensor and radiator wernt in the way , the header was on the opposite side like a k series....and there was a huge ass air dam on the front - MAYBE you would get cold air with a POD filter :roll:

Lucky I have a snorkel then :)

CAT_SPEW
16-05-2004, 04:46 PM
]]ahahah have u dont it mate?

congrats mate..

i told ya you'll loce it..

Thanks man, the auto-electrician came over the other day afer school and said that he had finished!!!!

I'm lovin every bit of the new engine, feels alot different and sounds alot different :D:D

SIKCVC
16-05-2004, 06:00 PM

EG's dont have top grills :P

and besides I'm pretty sure his pod is enclosed sucking air from behind the bar.

And Cat_spew, how come you went with an auto electriction? I'm can't see why it would be so hard to convert the cabling over (not that it isn't hard I just can't see how it would be) and also how much did it cost you?

CAT_SPEW
16-05-2004, 06:14 PM
I got the auto-electrciain because I didn't want to screw it up lol.
Cost me about $350 for the wiring all up including carby to EFI etc.

Civ_97
16-05-2004, 06:19 PM
people keep sayin an exposed pod doesnt make your car faster but how come my car is doin faster 0-100 times with one instead of stock airbox? btw its the only engine mod to the car

SIKCVC
16-05-2004, 07:16 PM
It will make you car faster... but it doesn't take full advantage of the pod set up... for a little bit of your time you can see rather good gains just be enclosing the pod and sucking air from outside the engine bay. The fact is engines prefer colder air, colder air = more dence = more air = more fuel for combustion.

Theres actually a HUGE difference between Hot air and cold air...

XXpl0Sive
16-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Can you describe the spooling sound?

mo
16-05-2004, 08:23 PM
*spoooooooooool*

Is that descriptive enough Ben?

XXpl0Sive
16-05-2004, 08:25 PM
nope Mo

Is it a flat SHHHHHHHH or a whistling sound?

mo
16-05-2004, 08:29 PM
It is a fapping sound!! :P

saboteur
16-05-2004, 08:33 PM
I think Weq has thrown in a T3 when you weren't looking!

ATSE
16-05-2004, 09:10 PM
people keep sayin an exposed pod doesnt make your car faster but how come my car is doin faster 0-100 times with one instead of stock airbox? btw its the only engine mod to the car

What are you using to determine this? Don't tell me your using G-sensor...

mo
16-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Hahah he's done the butt test and it's given proven results! HAHAHA

ECU-MAN
16-05-2004, 09:40 PM
Lucky I have a snorkel then

be very very carefull with your snorkel, if it takes the air from under the bumper or a very low spot. if you drive through a puddle youll get an engine full of water. result = Hydraulic lock, bent rods, bearing damage ect, I have seen it in the past wasnt nice. there was water right through the engine. its still ran but like shit.

anyway any VTi-R and twin cam engine sounds wicked if you rev it high with out anything connected to the throttle body.

my best experience was a 86 integra with the valve timming set wrong, the thing was overlapping big and it sounded so tuff. was guttlses down low but had more balls up high.

VTEC16
16-05-2004, 11:56 PM
be very very carefull with your snorkel, if it takes the air from under the bumper or a very low spot. if you drive through a puddle youll get an engine full of water. result = Hydraulic lock, bent rods, bearing damage ect, I have seen it in the past wasnt nice. there was water right through the engine. its still ran but like shit.

As long as the snorkel doesnt have an air tight seal to the filter, and the pod is of decent quality, no water will be sucked into the engine.

Decent air filters will only injest water if they are submerged.

geo41e
17-05-2004, 10:30 AM
its a ssshhhhhh sound

is there anything i can use to wrap my pod filter so water doesn't get in ??

that sock type thinggy ?

incoming
17-05-2004, 10:33 AM
i had my pod AEM style with it hanging out the bottom of the bumper...
i was never worried about driving in the rain....

what VTEC16 said is right.. u have to avoid driving IN puddles cos if a pod in completely submergeed in water.. then it sucks in water..
otherwise rain aint shit... (in my case anyways) =P

XXpl0Sive
17-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Im was talkin abut my stock snorkel, it sits above the radiator, and lines up with the front grill, directs air onto pod, it used to be sealed with the airbox, but i removed airbox and left snorkel