PDA

View Full Version : Accord 96

Duuuude
29-09-2003, 11:35 PM
Hi there

I'm a newbie to all this, so please be gentle with me hehe. :lol:

Anyway I have a Honda Accord VTI 96. I've only done the cold air thingy and a cat-back exhaust system a Jun BL Spiral muffler. Can anybody tell me what else I can do to get more power?

Turbo is not an option dudes $$$$$$ :) What about manifolds, headers ( r they the same thing?), whatever... Just make my car go faster!!

Thanks dudes.

vti-2
29-09-2003, 11:38 PM
Haven't had much experience with Accords. Manifolds are used for turbo's whereas headers are used on N/A cars...

Duuuude
30-09-2003, 12:04 AM
Ok, lets face it, I know nothing about modifying cars :D

Thats why I'm here to get some help. I would really really - did I say really? I mean't REALLY appreciate it if someone can show me the ropes.

I've only just started to modify my car so I know I've stil got a loooong way to go.

I wanna start with the first question. What is a Vtech Controller? Are they any good? Will it actually increase something? I hear about them all the time but now quiet sure they work.

Can someone please show me the light?

thanx

Dean

toE
30-09-2003, 12:39 AM
In my humble and inexperienced opinion;

There's nothung much u can do on a budget, since turbo's not in d equation...

since u've already done the norm, i'd say u shld tackle the suspension set-up.

as for the VAFC...it helps to control the Vtec...as in when to come on and when to go off...minimal gains i reckon, unless it's turbocharged or something...

oh, and welcome duuuude..dont forget to introduce urself in the Intro forum and hope u enjoy ur stay.

Setanta
30-09-2003, 08:29 AM
VTEC controllers are for resetting the point that VTEC comes in and are pointless unless you are radically changing your cam specs etc. Rice-bois use them to make VTEC come in earlier so it sounds better :?

A VAFC does a similar thing, but also allows you to play with the air/fuel ratio which is a good thing (just leave the VTEC side of it alone - Honda got it right at the factory).

I hope your CAI is outside the engine bay, not just an unsealed pod inside because if it is, you are prolly just losing power to heat-soak.

Extractors are your best bet maybe - but expect to pay a fortune for not much increase.

As toE said - work on your suspension, you'd be amazed at the difference it can make :)

A'PEXi
30-09-2003, 08:58 AM
isnt the S-AFC the one where it allows you to play around with the air/fuel ratio?...

just finish off your normal mods with a set of headers... there isn't much more you can do without spending a bit of money :D

Setanta
30-09-2003, 10:02 AM
From: http://www.prostreetonline.com/pso/pages/details.asp?productsku=PSI-401-A909 (it's typical of the descriptions you get of a VAFC though)...

A'PEX's new VAFC II combines fuel computer functions with a VTEC engagement controller. The V-AFC II features a user-definable, multiple point adjustable fuel curve that can be set in 500 RPM increments. The range of fuel adjustment is +/- 50% at each of the user-defined setting points. The Fuel Adjustment function considers wide/narrow throttle and low/high camshaft settings, from which four different fuel maps are created (wide-low, wide-high, narrow-low, narrow-high). The integrated VTEC Controller adjusts the point at which the engine switches from the Lo to Hi cam during acceleration, as well as when the engine switches from the Hi to Lo cam during deceleration.

VTEC controllers don't have the A/F setup and S-AFC don't have the VTEC controls.

Cheers :)

Duuuude
30-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Thanx everyone for your input. Let me get this straight. So no go for VTech Controller and green light for extractors, suspension, ok....

About the CAI being inside the engine bay? What's that about? I got mine fitted by the ppl who fitted the exhaust system. They gotta know what their doing rite? Well the air pipe is sitting horizontally on top and the air filter is sticking out at the end of the pipe.

Can we talk about the suspension? Will I need to replace the springs or the shock absorbers? Or both? And how much will that cost?

Thanx again for all your help dudes. Really appreciate it.

Dean :D

toE
30-09-2003, 11:04 PM
it would b advisable to replace your springs and shocks.

as for cost..well...its pretty hard to say but u'd b looking at 1200 and up for a good set-up.