PDA

View Full Version : What petrol do honda use when they state fuel comsumption test?

Diesmile
09-08-2006, 07:56 PM
well, i thought i read it somewhere, however i can't find it anymore.

i want to know for 2006 vti honda civic, does honda use normal 91ron petrol or premium or 98ron or something else to test fuel consumption ?

thanks.

also, i know in sa, 98 ron is about 10cents more expansive than normal 91ron, so does 98ron give extra milage? extra performance? extra power? if so, by how much? i mostly interested in milage. i am worried about my new car fuel consumption everyday, lol, i even keep a log book about the milage vs fuel blocks.

at the moment, they are almost a perfect linear relationship, which uses 12L/100km which WORRIES me so much.

jamchen
09-08-2006, 09:12 PM
how long have u had ur civic for? guess ur engine is still breaking in.. and in which is more than likely to have higher fuel consumption than usual. regard of the type of petrol they put for mileage, i am not the expert but i'd say they are using the lowest rating of petrol that is accept to the model. so 91 Ron for Civic, 95 Ron for Euro and MDX etc etc.
in terms of putting higher grade of petrol for Civic, there might be some improvement on performance and better mileage. but IMO your right foot is the most direct solution. if you vtec all the time.. u will not get a good mileage, if u drive like a granny, u'd definitely get a better milage. there might be like 1-2 hp gain in performance and which is like next to none. but take in mind that higher Ron petrol can help to clean the engine as it burns better.

the 12l/100km sounds like u r doing city drivings only? have u had any chance to run on the freeway to see if the figure will improve?

our euro does around 12.5l/100km in city and around 7.5l-9l/100km combined.

i can assure they will just get better and better once the engine breaks in fully.!

Diesmile
09-08-2006, 09:59 PM
lol i never pass 2k rpm when accelerating, about 1.5k rpm when driving around 60k/h

although it is city driving, but there is no traffic, hardly any traffic light, only 2 during the whole way, 1 of them is even very short, like 10 sec max red light.

so i don't understand y. besides my ratio of milage and fuel blocks are so linear, almost a straight line. if my engine gets better, it will be more like a curve.

edit: i don't even know what vtec kick in feel like, but i heard u need to pass 5k rpm which sound scary to me. lol i am the man who obey all the traffic rules. haha

jackosimm
09-08-2006, 11:23 PM
I work in a new car dealership, and I know first hand its bloody hard work trying to get the fuel consumption's they claim.
All the ones displayed are a combined city/highway drive aswell, so without that highway stint, it might bump yours up.
In the tests, they would use the reccomended fuel from the supplier, which you should find on the inside of your fuel lid.

Diesmile
10-08-2006, 12:12 AM
it recommend 91 RON unleaded.

oh well, i have to wait till i finish my 1000k first. one big plus for this civic was its fuel consumption, thought it uses petrol like 1.5L with 2.0L performace, but man, how wrong am i

EK4R
10-08-2006, 12:38 AM
well buy an manual if u wanna save on petrol..or a jazz :P you cant have everything hehe

Diesmile
10-08-2006, 02:18 AM
lol manual is not an option, cos i only learned auto, also none of the family had a manual.

besides, don't think everyday work-home car will be fun with a manual which can be stuck with traffic.

jazz? lol i rather get a yaris. god bless me on fuel consumption, lol

jamchen
10-08-2006, 08:45 AM
lol.. u r not even reach the 1000km point...
there's still a bit of way ahead of you.....
an engine would normally breaks in at around 4k to 5 k km figure...
after the 1000k service, give it more chances to run of highways....
i am sure u will more amzed at the consumption figures...
good luck

Diesmile
10-08-2006, 10:40 AM
lol.. u r not even reach the 1000km point...
there's still a bit of way ahead of you.....
an engine would normally breaks in at around 4k to 5 k km figure...
after the 1000k service, give it more chances to run of highways....
i am sure u will more amzed at the consumption figures...
good luck

ya, i know that, thanks, but i just hope my engine is rdy NOW. haha:p

IS250
10-08-2006, 10:42 AM
First of all, you will almost never match the fuel comsumption figures given by the manufacturers. Why? because they simulate some short city cycles, followed by a 20 minute freeway cycle and then combine the two figures placing more emphasis on the freeway cycle.

Secondly, give your car at least 5000km. My friend bought a Rav4 and during the first several thousand kilometers the car was going through 16L/100km. I think now its going through about 12L/100km.

Lastly, there is no set rule as to how much of a performance or mileage gain you'd get from using 98ron. Some people claim to get an extra 50km from a tank, others claimed an extra 100km per tank and then you have people like me who saw absolutely no mileage benefits whatsoever. At first I thought I was getting an extra 75-100km per tank but I'm putting it down to increased tyre pressure since I had also increased the tyre pressure and was getting the same results when I switched back to 91.
If you do decide to switch to 98, try it for about a month before you make a judgement.

PS, if you are worried about fuel consumption then I suggest you sell the Civic and get a Prius. An imported Prius would set you back around $12,000.

Diesmile
10-08-2006, 07:30 PM
lol i love my honda, never never trade it.

anyway, a bit OT here, but how does prius work? since from physics point of view, the total energy has to come from petrol, so how can prius save so much petrol? doesn't the electricity generate from the petrol anyway?

cuongn
11-08-2006, 08:01 AM
i get like 520kms on my celica sx 2000, on 98 octane, my civic gets shit all kms

mj3610
11-08-2006, 09:06 AM
they recommend 95 ron which is premium and i guess thats what they use for all their testing, regarding ur milage, i got a 95 civic and the difference between 91, 95 and 98 is almost exactly about 50km everytime. i get around 350 with 98, 380-400 with premium and about 430-450 with 91 but i use 95 cause i get alot of engine knocking with 91 even tho the engine was designed to run on that.
thats just with my car tho, you should do tests and measure the milage with diff fuels and see what suits you best.

IS250
11-08-2006, 09:35 AM
lol i love my honda, never never trade it.

anyway, a bit OT here, but how does prius work? since from physics point of view, the total energy has to come from petrol, so how can prius save so much petrol? doesn't the electricity generate from the petrol anyway?

I'm not an expert, but basically the car only runs on the electric motor during low speed driving under ~20kmh (40kmh for the current models), ie. city driving. The petrol motor kicks in during hard acceleration or if the battery charge is too low (to regenerate the battery). It also uses regenerative braking to recharge the batteries. At traffic lights, the petrol engine automatically switches off and I think it also switches off when you coast down a hill.

EK4R
11-08-2006, 10:59 AM
i get like 520kms on my celica sx 2000, on 98 octane, my civic gets shit all kms

for real? wat petrol? i got like 550 only from all highway driving down from sydney a tank on the 2000zr model

avg is around 10l/100km

yeehou
12-08-2006, 01:54 AM
they recommend 95 ron which is premium and i guess thats what they use for all their testing, regarding ur milage, i got a 95 civic and the difference between 91, 95 and 98 is almost exactly about 50km everytime. i get around 350 with 98, 380-400 with premium and about 430-450 with 91 but i use 95 cause i get alot of engine knocking with 91 even tho the engine was designed to run on that.
thats just with my car tho, you should do tests and measure the milage with diff fuels and see what suits you best.

Are you saying that you get better mileage for 91 ron?

mj3610
12-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Are you saying that you get better mileage for 91 ron?
yep :) and its not a small difference either... i'd use 91 but as i said i get alot of engine knocking with 91 so i just use 95.

ZeForce
12-08-2006, 05:13 PM
I was under the impression that 98 RON gives best fuel economy..... Can anyone clarify this?

yeehou
12-08-2006, 09:59 PM
I was under the impression that 98 RON gives best fuel economy..... Can anyone clarify this?

Yeah, me too, HELP ME GUYS, i'm very confused!!!

jamchen
13-08-2006, 12:15 PM
it depends on what ur car is designed for... if ur car is reconmended to use 91 RON, then use 95 Ron SHOULD give u a better mileage... however if u use 98 Ron into the car that reconmended for 91 Ron, then it MIGHT not give u a better mileage...

mj3610
13-08-2006, 05:25 PM
it depends on what ur car is designed for... if ur car is reconmended to use 91 RON, then use 95 Ron SHOULD give u a better mileage... however if u use 98 Ron into the car that reconmended for 91 Ron, then it MIGHT not give u a better mileage...
i disagree... its too much to explain, but ur part wrong. yes theoretically u should use the fuel ur engine is desgined for, using a higher octane fuel does not mean u'll get better mileage.
as i said before, my engine which is a d15z2 is designed to run on 91, i get more kms on 91 than 95 and way more than 98, so for me filling up with high octane fuel means more $$$ for the same amount of fuel and less mileage, but even tho my engine was designed for 91, i get alot of engine knocking and i have to use 95. just use 95. no matter what car u drive, a kia or a ferrari, whether ur after performance or fuel economy, IMO u cant go wrong with 95 :)

yeehou
13-08-2006, 05:33 PM
What's engine knocking?

jamchen
13-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Knocking (also called pinking or pinging)—technically detonation—in internal combustion engines occurs when fuel/air mixture in the cylinder has been ignited by the spark plug and the smooth burning is interrupted by the unburned mixture in the combustion chamber exploding before the flame front can reach it. Combusting stops suddenly, because of the explosion, before the optimum moment of the four-stroke cycle. The resulting shockwave reverberates in the combustion chamber and pressures increase catastrophically, creating a characteristic metallic "pinging" sound.

lol i still dun really understand what it means... but is it that the sound u hear in from the engine that sounds like small particles flowing through the cylinders?

mj3610
14-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Knocking (also called pinking or pinging)—technically detonation—in internal combustion engines occurs when fuel/air mixture in the cylinder has been ignited by the spark plug and the smooth burning is interrupted by the unburned mixture in the combustion chamber exploding before the flame front can reach it. Combusting stops suddenly, because of the explosion, before the optimum moment of the four-stroke cycle. The resulting shockwave reverberates in the combustion chamber and pressures increase catastrophically, creating a characteristic metallic "pinging" sound.

lol i still dun really understand what it means... but is it that the sound u hear in from the engine that sounds like small particles flowing through the cylinders?
yep :)
put some sand in a tin can and shake it, thats sorta the sound it makes.

ZeForce
14-08-2006, 06:13 PM
The sound of detonation comes from the conrod resonating, doesnt it?

SINISTR
14-08-2006, 06:34 PM
how do you work out your fuel consumption/does the car have an onboard consumption computer? trip computer?

twing
15-08-2006, 10:24 AM
If ur car has no trip computer, use method explained here:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30815

Which fuel is the best for your car? RON 91? 95? 98? Best answer is try them yourself. Some cars can adjust their ECU to use higher RON, some don't. Check that in your car manual (READ THEM !!!).
My principle is: don't give more than you car ask for.

For all new comer, please familiarise with the search function on forum. 90%+ your questions have been answered somewhere else.

cuongn
15-08-2006, 03:56 PM
anyone no how much would a 93 onwards crx, does on a full tank of petrol. wats the normal kms u get out of it

IS250
15-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Here, try this site:
http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/fuelguide/index.html

czy_sol87
15-08-2006, 05:07 PM
anyone no how much would a 93 onwards crx, does on a full tank of petrol. wats the normal kms u get out of it
i use 98ron in my 92 crx and usually get about 350- 400km before i have to fill up, i usually only use mobile synergy or bp ulltimate. shell optimax, i find burns too quickly