PDA

View Full Version : Hydrolock??? - Questions

V-TEC_BABY
09-08-2006, 08:18 PM
I have a 97 SOHC V-TEC Coupe.

Hey guys can people give me the full details on what hydrolock is?
how it comes about?
what to do about it?

and any thing else u can think of...

Thanks guys!

wynode
09-08-2006, 08:22 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock

In automotive terminology, a hydrolock is the immobilization of an engine's pistons by a liquid (usually water, hence the prefix "hydro-"). Hydrolocking occurs when liquid fills a cylinder on the intake stroke and, due to the incompressibility of a liquid, makes the compression stroke impossible. This, in turn, prevents the entire engine from turning, and can cause significant engine damage if one attempts to forcibly turn over or start the engine.

First entry from google :)

SiReal
09-08-2006, 08:24 PM
ususally it happens when ppl have a cold air intake, on high throttle and going over deep water. sucks it up like a straw.

wynode
09-08-2006, 08:27 PM
BTW its VTEC not V-TEC

DLO01
09-08-2006, 09:13 PM
I think its best to say it can anytime driving though deep water.

Can also happen if your head gasket is blown, but visably cannot be seen, ie gasket blown between water channel and cylinder.

Stop after a drive, pressurised water system bleeds into cylinder through blown gasket, driver starts up next time, cylinder fires other cylinder full of water and bang!

khOa`
11-08-2006, 06:21 PM
yeah, hydrolock is if you have a CAI (cold air intake) and if the pod is completely submerged in water from a deep puddle, to prevent this you can get a bypass vavle..

jdmlvn
12-08-2006, 01:33 PM
i thought intakes draw in air, not suck

aaronng
12-08-2006, 05:51 PM
i thought intakes draw in air, not suck
And what's the difference between draw in air and suck air in? :cool:

Killa From Manila
13-08-2006, 01:40 PM
dont drive ur beloved car through deep water?