PDA

View Full Version : Is My HeadBlown??

crxdude
10-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Hey guys i think my headgasket is gone, i can hear this like rumble coming from the engine and tonight i looked and yeep no water in the bottle, nothing empty i was on running with water for at least 2 days, god knows why the hell it lost water, oil is fine, its ok now, so ive toped it with water and havent drove it yet but when i turned it one i can still hear something funny.

its a 94 Del SOl with a 16a Vtec engine, how much iam i looking at for a new headgasket plus labour, just need a idea

thanks guys

[[d a n n y]]
10-08-2006, 12:45 AM
hows the car drive?
lost power?
is it running hot?
there is a chance that i could not be a headgasket..
give us some more info

crxdude
10-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Well to be honest i think the car is still running good. This noise just happend also which bothers me, it sounds like it comeing from the passenger side, I can hear it while driving and also while its on Idle, i dont know what it is but i put my ear on the engine bay but cant notice it. I think it sounds like its comeing from the ALENTALOR(sp) way also.

The Temp is in the Middle and it hasent reached HOT at all, I just changed the Engine Mounts on the thing also.

If it helps i took the front bar off to get it fixed up and respareyed, so theres no front bar on the car at the moment.

It just sounds like a Knocking next to the Alentalor(sp) sits, but surly it cant be that. I notice also it happens alot at night for some reason. Maybe thats because i barly drive the car in the day

Hope it this helps.

[[d a n n y]]
10-08-2006, 01:03 AM
does the knocking noise speed up as your revs go up?

crxdude
10-08-2006, 01:08 AM
Yeeh it does mate iam pretty sure it does

[[d a n n y]]
10-08-2006, 01:10 AM
sounds like a spun bearing?
have u been thrashing the car
checking oil levels etc?
and having clean oil?

crxdude
10-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Yeeh i give it hard time here and there but not always, the iam always changing gears when vtec kicks in but yeeh i do give it a bit of a go.

Oil Level is ok i checked it and yeh its got clean oil, i serviced not that long ago,

a spun bearing? whats my next option mate?

[[d a n n y]]
10-08-2006, 02:45 AM
if it is a spun bearing u need to rebuild your bottom end.
and depending on the extent of the damage
u might need to recond your head as well
not a cheap process..
get it checked out by a mechanic b4 u do anything else
it could be something simple

|JnR|
10-08-2006, 10:48 AM
One way to check to see if your head gasket is gone is to check to see if the oil and water have mixed
and you'll get a milky water type thing ..

also if u open up the radiator lid and turn the car on
and bubbles continuously and water drops ..
u got issues with your head

other wise if your car is running alrite ...
sounds as if u have a bearing issue as Danny mentioned

euphoric
10-08-2006, 04:52 PM
hey mate, i have had the exact same symptoms in my daihatsu charade turbo, there seems to be noises coming from around the alternator area but can't quite pinpoint where it is. Also in the early stages i noticed that the water in the radiator had completely disappeared, but i thought it was because of time so i just topped it again.

a few days later the temp gauge went up to HOT!!! so i took it easy and drove it home. checked it out the next morning and the coolant was gone again (not completely). I also noticed like slurping noises when i start the car.

Answer? its definite telltale sign that the headgasket is on its way out. the car is still driveable, takes longer to start and makes those slurping noises but its ok. But i suggest you get it looked at STRAIGHT AWAY, while you can still drive.

don't leave it like me where one day the car wouldnt even start at all. looked at the oil and it was all milky (like a milkshake! mmm) which indicates that the coolant is mixing with the oil > headgasket on its way out.

also if you drive it still on hot, the gasket will completely go whack and it will feel like a little 'pop' and then there won't be enough compression in the cylinders and the car won't go anywhere anytime soon!

p.s Sorry for the long.
p.s.s My car is currently in the workshop getting fixed for the problem above!!!

jdmTYPE R
10-08-2006, 07:24 PM
your water pump could be on its way and water could leak out from the pump??? headgasket on a b16a is veryhard to blow as it is a metal head gasket.

euphoric
11-08-2006, 01:52 AM
if the waterpump leaks, wouldnt it be very noticeable?
and if the oil is milkshaky appearance then i assume its the headgasket!

but are b16a headgaskets made outta metal? wouldnt that be bad for heat?

mj3610
11-08-2006, 09:13 AM
if the waterpump leaks, wouldnt it be very noticeable?
and if the oil is milkshaky appearance then i assume its the headgasket!

but are b16a headgaskets made outta metal? wouldnt that be bad for heat?
not really, a leaking water pump is not that noticable, you have to look underneath the car and look for coolant residue under the pump. As others have said it could be the head gasket, i'd get it checked out asap by a reliable mechanic not them midas or ultratune kents they'll raut u to ur last penny...