PDA

View Full Version : lowering on stock wheels

qikteg
10-08-2006, 01:39 PM
for the moment, i've got my stock 14" steelies on because i'm waiting get some new rubber put on my 17"s. but i want to lower the car 1.5"-2".

should i wait till i get my 17"s back on before lowering? or is lowering it stock 14"s fine?

bennjamin
10-08-2006, 01:43 PM
lowering on STOCK wheels will scrape less and ride better (narrower rims , and bigger profile are softer on the ride)

VTi_b0i
10-08-2006, 02:05 PM
lower it when u get ur wheels man
if u dump it now, it might scrape/scrub when u get ur wheels...

qikteg
10-08-2006, 02:18 PM
mmm... thats wat i was worried about..

Honda Enthusiast
10-08-2006, 03:16 PM
mmm... thats wat i was worried about..

Bro, I can talk from experience... I got my car dumped a couple of weeks ago....

I would get the new wheels, put them on for size...then get the car dumped...much better plan...there's no rush...do it, and do it right!

qikteg
10-08-2006, 04:09 PM
haha, yeah, there's really no rush, i'm just feeling impatient and thrifty.

Honda Enthusiast
10-08-2006, 04:16 PM
haha, yeah, there's really no rush, i'm just feeling impatient and thrifty.

Bro, I know exactly how you feel...

Check me out, I bought a SHARK-FIN look-a-like this morning, I will paint it tonight, then take my car to a near by car wash to get it painted by hand...once you pop, you can't stop! LOL

qikteg
10-08-2006, 04:28 PM
haha...

wats funniest is that i bought one of them a few years back :) like the ones on the beamers yeah? they're so funny :)

Honda Enthusiast
10-08-2006, 04:38 PM
haha...

wats funniest is that i bought one of them a few years back :) like the ones on the beamers yeah? they're so funny :)

Yeah....that's them...well....they're not funny if you do it right...they only come in black or white...and apparently bro, the BWM Corp. sued these people as a lot of cars now have the shark fin look...

Well anyways, I'm ma-gonna paint it exactly the correct colour then will see how it looks up there!

saxman
10-08-2006, 05:34 PM
question is how you're lowering... if you're dropping it on coil overs, and set the height for the 14"s, then yah, you could have issues when you put the 17"s on... if you're dropping it on springs, it doesn't make a difference

qikteg
10-08-2006, 06:03 PM
haha... well actually neither, i'm lowering springs on the rear, and upgrading torsion bars in the front.

but i'm mostly worried about scraping issues, they're relatively thin 17"s, i think they're 17x6.5, but either way, i still don't want scraping.

saxman
10-08-2006, 07:39 PM
well, point is it's not height adjustable, so it really doesn't make a bit of difference when you lower

iket
10-08-2006, 11:11 PM
I don't think it would make a difference...
If these wheels are a legal mod ie. total circumferance is within 3% of stock wheels, then you shouldn't have any probs dropping it now!
Of course if you do go over the 3% you risk getting defected as your speedo and odometer will be outta whack!

qikteg
11-08-2006, 09:29 AM
hmm.... alritey. well i'll have to do some measuring, but i guess that makes sense. my main concern is with the scraping, but again, so long as the total circumfrence is close, then it doesn't matter whether its a 14" steelie or 17" rim... except for the width of the tyre... which i'll look into

Elwood
11-08-2006, 10:06 AM
as if not get bags... :P

iket
11-08-2006, 05:26 PM
Yeah mate like i said its based on the circumference. The two inches rule is only a generalisation for the cops to go by. You could even go up 4 inches if you could afford super low profile tyres!
Just remember the 3% error rule [range 97-103km/h when speedo reads 100km/h] and you'll survive. Just get it engineered when you do upsize coz the cops won't be measuring your circumference and comparing it for you!