PDA

View Full Version : V-tec-e --> V-tec ?

SHIFTY
10-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Hopefully im not making myself sound like a idiot by asking this but ill give it a shot anyways !

I own a Honda Civic VTI 96' ( D16Y5 ) it is a V-TEC-E, is it possible to turn it into a V-TEC (Non of this Economical rubbish) :p . Like throught Changine the ECU or re-tunning or something....

[ I hope what i just said makes sence ]

Thanks everyone

( hopefully i posted this in the correct section )

T-onedc2
10-08-2006, 05:45 PM
I think there are turbo kits available off the shelf for your engine but if it's the type of vtec you wish to alter then just change the engine to a B16A/18C, or K20A if you have a big budget.

dc2dc2dc2
10-08-2006, 05:45 PM
VTEC-E ?

......wth man ? ahahahahaha i have no idea what ur talking about
but ur car is a SOHC VTEC .

T-onedc2
10-08-2006, 05:47 PM
VTEC-E ?

......wth man ? ahahahahaha i have no idea what ur talking about
but ur car is a SOHC VTEC .
VTEC-E is SOHC engine which he stated above. E = economical.

EKVTIR-T
10-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Also sold in australia in the eg sedan,Vei I think.....1.5l too.66kw...

FR33K
10-08-2006, 05:51 PM
is it possible to turn it into a V-TEC (Non of this Economical rubbish) :p . Like throught Changine the ECU or re-tunning or something....

that something is you need to change is the engine :)

SHIFTY
10-08-2006, 05:53 PM
um yer... thank's for that !

I have heard with people replacing only sertan parts of the engine to change it from VTEC-E to V-TEC... but it could just be BS ! I wouldnt whant 2 do a engine swap since my current engine has only 28,000 km's ! so um yer ( its a 1.6 )

aaronng
10-08-2006, 06:02 PM
VTEC-E is SOHC engine which he stated above. E = economical.
VTEC-E and SOHC VTEC are 2 different implementations. VTEC-E enables the engine to run with 1 intake valve at low rpm and low load for better mixing. So it runs in 12 valve mode at low RPM, low load and 16 valve at other times. SOHC VTEC on the other hand is like normal VTEC that everyone knows but it is implemented only on the intake valves.

SHIFTY
10-08-2006, 06:07 PM
So is it possible 2 retune the intake thingi or replace it 2 change it from a "economical" car to a more "perfromance" oriantated vehicle ;)

aaronng
10-08-2006, 06:29 PM
So is it possible 2 retune the intake thingi or replace it 2 change it from a "economical" car to a more "perfromance" oriantated vehicle ;)
Hmm, I thought 96' VTi's were SOHC non-VTEC.

T-onedc2
10-08-2006, 07:18 PM
VTEC-E and SOHC VTEC are 2 different implementations. VTEC-E enables the engine to run with 1 intake valve at low rpm and low load for better mixing. So it runs in 12 valve mode at low RPM, low load and 16 valve at other times. SOHC VTEC on the other hand is like normal VTEC that everyone knows but it is implemented only on the intake valves.
The maestro arrives ^^^ hehe, thanks man I thought I was missing something, also in 12 valve mode the closed valve is open just enough to allow fuel to trickle through to prevent pooling and to help in swirling the mixture.

JasonGilholme
10-08-2006, 07:22 PM
A VTECee is the person that is getting overtaken/powned by a VTECer. Note that the VTECer usually has a crazy look on their face which, once full VTECtion is complete, changes to a broad smile as they descelerate to standard speeds again.

As for answering your question.....I dunno.

Good luck buddy.

wynode
10-08-2006, 07:23 PM
*moved to the newbie forum*

Also read this:
http://www.leecao.com/honda/vtec/sohcvtece.html

wynode
10-08-2006, 07:25 PM
The only SOHC VTEC-E cars are the CIvic VEi in australia AFAIK.

ALso aaron.........technically you're not quite correct because the second intake valve actually does lift off its seat a bit to prevent fuel collecting on the base of the valve :)

aaronng
10-08-2006, 07:42 PM
The only SOHC VTEC-E cars are the CIvic VEi in australia AFAIK.

ALso aaron.........technically you're not quite correct because the second intake valve actually does lift off its seat a bit to prevent fuel collecting on the base of the valve :)
Yeah, I know. The very slight lobe for one of the intake valves lifts off a very tiny bit, but the purpose is not for allowing air/fuel in. Honda still calls it a 12v mode though. :)

wynode
10-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I know. The very slight lobe for one of the intake valves lifts off a very tiny bit, but the purpose is not for allowing air/fuel in. Honda still calls it a 12v mode though. :)

Actually it IS for letting fuel in.

The other one, however, is almost perfectly round, with just enough profile to it so that it pushes the valve open just enough to avoid pooling of fuel above the valve lip.

:D

aaronng
10-08-2006, 08:15 PM
'doh... I meant to have that little bit of flow to prevent fuel build up. LOL... I think I'm too hungry to think... back to food.

saxman
10-08-2006, 08:27 PM
the mechanism between vtec and vtec-e is pretty much the same... the big difference is in the cam itself I believe. I wonder if switching to a vtec cam would work.

don't expect it to make more power though... When vtec is engaged, it works teh same for VTEC and VTEC-e

it's only on the low cam profile that there's really a difference.

Mugen_B16B
12-08-2006, 06:14 PM
ur engine is basically the same as a d16y4, only different thing between ur car is that its a vti has more options, engine was puts out same power and no vtec

Twincam16
12-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Why waste your time and money for that small power increase (if any) in this age of fuel price rises!

Killa From Manila
13-08-2006, 01:46 PM
not sure but maybe a vtec head swap might give u what ur after. do some research and find out. i think d16y1 and d16y8 r the sohc vtec engines.

i have a d16y4 (non vtec) and i know i can just do a straight swap basically and have vtec

twing
15-08-2006, 03:55 PM
ur engine is basically the same as a d16y4, only different thing between ur car is that its a vti has more options, engine was puts out same power and no vtec

D16Y4 and D16Y5 are different engine.

D16Y4 no VTEC. D16Y5 has VTEC. Have a peep on engine. You should see a VTEC selenoid on the left of the rocker cover.

D16Y5 is VTEC-E where 12 valve low rpm and change to 16 valve high rpm.
Besides that, it has higer intake lift on high rpm.

The engine with normal SOHC VTEC for AUDM are D16Y1 (EG Vti) and D16Y8 (EJ8 coupe).

Actually, all DOHC i-VTEC motor, except type R, type S, and euro... are using VTEC-E;)

kraiye
16-08-2006, 11:32 AM
i have a d16y4 (non vtec) and i know i can just do a straight swap basically and have vtec
does this mean bolting a y8 head onto a y4? hmm... if so i might have to look into this.

as for the question, maybe u could short the vtec solenoid so u'r engine is always in 16 valve mode. may giv u more power at lower revs but duno how that affects u'r ecu etc

twing
16-08-2006, 01:59 PM
does this mean bolting a y8 head onto a y4? hmm... if so i might have to look into this.
google 'mini me' for more information.
'mini me' <- putting vtec head to non vtec block.
www.d-series.org should be the first place to visit.

as for the question, maybe u could short the vtec solenoid so u'r engine is always in 16 valve mode
In that case, should get D16Y4 on the first place :P

Dylanamus
16-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Seeking performance out of a 66kw engine designed at the factory to be economical not high in performance is a bit of a dream. For this reason I sold my last car and bought a new one that was faster at stock.
Doing the old one up was going to cost more than the difference in cost of the old car and the new car and the new one was designed as a performance vehicle so it had a better weight distribution and handling etc

What I personally suggest is biting your tongue, as hard as it is, and shutting out the idea of more power while you save money on fuel and then go and buy yourself a faster car when you've got the cash.

An engine swap is the only way you're keeping your car and getting solid performance out of it, at which point you might as well sell it for a decent price (low km :) ) and buy a sportier variant. There are so many improvements to better models beyond the engine like seats, steering wheel, gear box, suspension, (and if you're into it, more refined asthetics) etc Just my 2c

Killa From Manila
17-08-2006, 05:01 PM

u can definately put a d series vtec head on a y4.

kraiye
18-08-2006, 12:32 AM
:thumbsup:
did a LOT of reading recently about mini-me conversions and grabbed a couple of how-to write ups
i've got a couple scams lined up ;) for sum quick cash. if they both pull through i'll have a go at mini-me + turbo :D

can anyone suggest what would be the best head? i'm inclined to think d16y8

[edit]sory for hijacking the thread lately ;) [edit]

SHIFTY
18-08-2006, 05:19 PM
my car is 88kw stock not 66kw :)

Fo55il
22-08-2006, 03:54 AM
lol - i read the subject of this post -
n i thought this guy just wanted to know how to pronounce vtec - lol .

damn vtec get so much moe complicated - i better start reading more !!!

btw u guys teach better than my uni tutors !!!