PDA

View Full Version : MY06 Honda Civic Engine

ShAwNeX
11-08-2006, 07:00 PM
I read that the base models for the MY06 Civic's are SOHC rather than DOHC. I would like to know what the advantages and disadvantages are in regards to the Single Overhead Cams. And what's better, DOHC or SOHC?

EuroDude
11-08-2006, 07:13 PM
DOHC is more powerful because it has a seperate CAM for the Intake and for the Exhaust which enables more precise valve timings.

Generally, the advantages to having a DOHC engine over a SOHC is that the engine has twice as many intake and exhaust valves as a SOHC motor. This makes the engine run cooler and more smoothly, quietly, and efficiently. But the disadvantage is that DOHC engines cost more for repairs.

muhhan
11-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Um, I'm no expert here but I'm pretty sure that both the SOHC and DOHC engines in the Honda range have 2 intake valves and 2 exhaust valves on each cylinder.

I think that one of the advantages of the DOHC is that you have more control over the valve timing as there is a separate camshaft for each the intake and exhaust valves meaning that more overlap and the durations of valve openings can be more finely tuned/controlled. This affects the power curves generated by the engine when graphed. Certainly the performance potential for a DOHC engine is greater than SOHC. This stuff is a lot more technical than I have made it appear. Perhaps searching through this and other forums will give you more detailed explanations.