PDA

View Full Version : Unichip or AFC neo

y0da
12-08-2006, 06:22 PM
My current ride is a 99 Model Prelude VTiR.
At the moment i have a Unichip in there but as an impulse buy i got myself the new AFC neo. I was wanting some advice on which one should i have in my car?
some of the main differences i can think of are the Neo does Vtec controller.
However i believe the unichip is capable of tuning ignition.

any form of recommendations or experiences would be greatly appreciated!!!

joyride
13-08-2006, 10:09 AM
whats AFC neo?
dont bother with unichip, its very limited. buy a whole new aftermarket computer if you want more tuning ability.
eg. haltech, ems, hondata, wolf3d, and the list goes on.

nipnip
13-08-2006, 10:38 AM
afc neo is just a more fancy, newer version of the vafc

CUL8R
13-08-2006, 03:55 PM
plenty of freeware chipping programs out there if u dont want to spend the big bucks of hondata.
find urself a honda tuner and have a talk about what they like to tune with. find urself a good tuner with chrome/uberdata/neptune and just have them chip a p28 ecu and get urself an obd2 to obd1 conversion harness.
there u have alot more tunability than any piggyback will ever give u

CUL8R
13-08-2006, 03:59 PM
oh and i once used a vafc2 and thought it was fantastic, since going hondata s300 i look back and think gee i was a dipshit. standalone ecus are fantastic for any modified vehicle, piggybacks trick" the ecu into thinking something so they then change something about fuel, this can cause hesitations at part throttle , i suffered hesistations and injector issues with the vafc2.
i only suffer from continual need of vtec with the s300. maybe a lighter wallet too.

y0da
13-08-2006, 06:15 PM
yeah i know theres better replacement ecu's out there but the prob is i've already bought the AFC neo.
so its either retune the unichip or replace it with the AFC neo.

the unichip is a little more expensive to retune than having the AFC installed and tuned.

one more thing is has anybody installed a AFC neo yet??? if they have what do they think of it??? and is it like the SAFCII which does not reset when the battery is???

Professional
13-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Depends on your budget. Normally, aftermarket cpu + tuning is around $1500. VAFCII + tuning is around $600.

revNhevN
13-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Used VAFC - $200. Tuning ~ $150.
But personally. A full ecu is the way to go.

y0da
14-08-2006, 07:19 PM
hmmm so most ppl are leaning towards the AFC neo. I'll prob just get that installed and tuned and rip out my unichip. I know with a full ecu i will gain more but thats just not an option.

seems lyk most honda owners don't like the Unichip!!!

ECU-MAN
14-08-2006, 08:52 PM
neos are ok, not sure how they work on an OBDII car though, stand alone is always better than piggy back,

here is a pic (http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/tech/Apexi-Neo-035.jpg)of one for thoes who havnt seen em.

anyone out there got an install manual that isnt only written in Jap ???

y0da
14-08-2006, 09:24 PM
it actually looks pretty good!!!
how did U mount it in your car??? and do the old SAFCII stands fit on it?

and wat car U got it in???

ECU-MAN
14-08-2006, 09:50 PM
this is in a Supra I installed it into ( I know shame on me )

It came with a mount and Jap instructions,

i use two screws to mount it into the removable plugs in the dash where a switch would of been .

y0da
15-08-2006, 05:39 PM
hey mr ecu man i found sumfin U mite like

http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfInstallation/42.pdf

ECU-MAN
15-08-2006, 08:30 PM
thank you very much sir

you have helped me out greatly

you da man

I had a look on their site 3 weeks ago, but nothing. nice find