PDA

View Full Version : dc2 4-2-1 manifold on an ef9 b16? will fit?

johnnypollet
13-08-2006, 10:44 AM
hi there i want to fit a oem dc2 type r manifold 4-2-1 manifold onto my civic ef9. does anyone know the size of the piping? is it worth doing? thanks in advance guys and girls:honda:

Q_ball
13-08-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure if it can be fitted onto an EF civic mate,
Best asking the Civic group imo,
Moved :)

Spunkymonkey
13-08-2006, 11:28 AM
check with pete - setanta, but I'm pretty sure you are going to run into problems with the cross member getting in the way.

Setanta
14-08-2006, 09:56 AM
It won't work on either an EF9 or an ED6 unless you cut away a fair amount of material in the front crossmember. The JDM header has the pipes collecting into 2x2 and there just isn't room. Cutting into the crossmember =bad as it reinforces your front end. You are much better off getting a Mugen copy made up as it was designed around the EF enginebay.

barefootbonzai
14-08-2006, 11:08 AM
dc2 type r manifold 4-2-1

You're talking about the aussie spec one here? If that's the case it should fit. Takes up the same amount of room, just a little better flow and weight reduction from the stainless steal.

Setanta
14-08-2006, 12:40 PM
IMO it's a pointless swap - it won't net you anything over the stock EF9 header. However, if you ditch the crush-bent EF9 exhaust for a mandrel bent one of the same diameter - you will be pleasantly surprised at how much more responsive the motor is.

Nightrider
14-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Yes it is likly to fit. From what I could tell the EF9-B16a 2>1 bottom header is exactly the same specs as DC2/EK4 2>1 bottom header.

The ugly cast iron 4>2 top header has different heat expansion properties to mild steel or stainless which is something to be conscious of. I know that my stainless header expands alot (like one inch outwards) when heated.

I've replaced my top header with an RS*R header exactly like this Spoon one and experienced noticable improvement.
http://ipsracing.com/images/product_spoon_4-2_exhaust.jpg

Its connected to the stock EF9's stock 2>1 bottom header. For any other header other then stock you will need to place the two o2 sensors ideally in the exact same positions as per original setup.
As mentioned by Setanta the biggest setback is the monstrous EF9 cross member that gives you no flexibility. Its up to you but I carefully dremel cut my cross member to accomadate the header as it expands when hot. I cut as little as I needed (2mm) off the edged/lip only and did not cut into any of the machine press studs that maintain its integrity.