PDA

View Full Version : How do you make a airfilter legal in nsw?

lilwilliam
13-08-2006, 01:26 PM
as the title states how would you make a pod filter legal in NSW? or cant it be done?

phantom_civic
13-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Make a enclosed heat shield around the pod filter.

lilwilliam
13-08-2006, 01:33 PM
does it have to be fully enclosed? where can i get one made and how much roughly? any help greatly appreciated as i got defected the other day -.- and i dont have money to keep paying for defects lolz.

incoming
13-08-2006, 01:44 PM
has fully enclosed as it amounts to "noise pollution" otherwise
if u dont want to get defected its best is to leave it in the stock box with a panel filter and have a direct air feed from the front bar to the stock box.
this also wont suck in hot air from the engine bay
theres a DIY thread on how to make a direct air feed

lilwilliam
13-08-2006, 01:55 PM
so even if i get the pod fully enclosed is there still a chance that id get defected?

incoming
13-08-2006, 02:04 PM
so even if i get the pod fully enclosed is there still a chance that id get defected?

ahaha it all depends on the cop, and ur attitude towards him :p

marte
13-08-2006, 03:23 PM
but the answer should be no. LOL. Mugen have some pretty neat heat shields. If your after something cheap try monza i think.

Elwood
13-08-2006, 07:06 PM
yeh my pod filter is fine where it is - in plain view..

although there is a slight chance of a backfire gone wrong and everything catching fire its a pretty dumb rule..

woudnt the box reduce performance??

DreadAngel
13-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Putting it in the stock airbox and panel filter won't alter anything, in fact it might feel even better depending on what you want. Low down, the stock airbox and filter is much better, the pod will give you heaps of sound and nothing much else

NeRV
13-08-2006, 09:10 PM
stock airbox + k&n panel filter... does the job... minus the wank factor.

lilwilliam
13-08-2006, 09:54 PM
lol the only reason im using the pod is cos it sounds heaps better then my car does stock. -.- but my cars still in the workshop getting the engine changed. so the sound of vtec mite be enough for me, would the pod actully make amplify the sound of vtec?, would chucking a k&n Panel filter still have the stock sound or the sound of a pod?

Elwood
13-08-2006, 09:56 PM
well i doubt it'd have the same sound as stock? either way i woudnt imagine the differance in air filter would change the sound THAT much

DreadAngel
13-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Meh, once VTEC hits, VTEC is sounds crazier than any induction sound so yeah, want it legit, get a proper or custom made cover for the pod otherwise save yourself the hassle and $$$ by putting back the stock one haha

SiReal
13-08-2006, 10:18 PM
I have used a pod, and also a stock box with K&N/DIY CAI.

Pod is just for sound and after a while is blardy annoying. I'm using the K&N/DIY CAI now, and I am happy knowing that I am getting fresh cool air from the front bumper as well as gaining .5kw* of extra power

*please note this figure is from my ass. :)

dsp26
13-08-2006, 10:23 PM
if you really insist on the pod but really want it fully enclosed you can by ready made ones:
- K&N Apollo
- Blitz CF Intake (metal mesh filter)

jdm_kid
13-08-2006, 10:48 PM
stock airbox + k&n panel filter... does the job... minus the wank factor.

IMO the stock box looks hott :thumbsup:

Limbo
14-08-2006, 10:42 PM
the box also keep the heat out which it the most important feature of keeping a stock box and using a replacement filter.

iket
14-08-2006, 10:45 PM
I do believe what makes the pods illegal is the fact that they "could" drip oil onto the road... with that being the case, maybe one of those dry apexi type filters would be legal?
If so, it may still be defected, as i dunno how'd to prove this to the coppa

Limbo
15-08-2006, 01:21 PM
no reason they are illegal is cos they create more noise.

That's why if boxed they are legal cos it reduces noise

dsp26
15-08-2006, 09:15 PM
I do believe what makes the pods illegal is the fact that they "could" drip oil onto the road... with that being the case, maybe one of those dry apexi type filters would be legal?
If so, it may still be defected, as i dunno how'd to prove this to the coppa

oiled filters are outright illegal (unless engineered legit) due to possible backfire and engine fire.. its a written ADR.

otherwise yeah as limbo said, noise and emissions.

Amusevtec
08-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Just get a panel filter buddy, or maybe you could get a POD that could fit in your stock airbox?

A heat shield is a brilliant idea.

lilwilliam
08-10-2006, 09:03 PM
how much would it cost for the heatsheild?

Amusevtec
08-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Probably 50 bux? I'm sure you could go to an exhaust plcae or something and ask them to make it for ya.

I had my custom CAI made for me and it didnt cost that much. While your at it, get yourself a racepipe *wink wink

stanleym
09-10-2006, 08:12 AM
CAI - i assuming there defectable

anyway to avoid defect??? hide it with a myystery box where the normal filter sits so at first glance it cant be seen goin out of engine bay?

Amusevtec
09-10-2006, 10:06 PM
yeh i guess ther defectable, but it wouldn't be as obvious as a SRI sticking in front of the cops face?

Spray the piping flat black =p