PDA

View Full Version : forged crank

SIObsesst
14-08-2006, 05:03 PM
I once read in a article that honda engines come with forged cranks. Is this true? is so are there any forged cranks from a V-tec engine that can bolt straight into the d16A8 engine?

Menthu Rae
14-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Not sure about other Hondas (maybe NSX), but S2K has a forged crankshaft.

jimmeh
14-08-2006, 06:39 PM
I once read in a article that honda engines come with forged cranks. Is this true? is so are there any forged cranks from a V-tec engine that can bolt straight into the d16A8 engine?
if u have a d16a then just use that crank.
it makes life so much easier

SIObsesst
14-08-2006, 07:02 PM
if u have a d16a then just use that crank.
it makes life so much easier

So is it true then bout the honda engines having forged cranks?

jimmeh
14-08-2006, 07:30 PM
i dont know.
why do u need to know if its a forged crank or not?

joyride
15-08-2006, 07:49 AM
me thinks he wants to build a monster d16a8.
balance the crankshaft instead....

Slow96GSR
15-08-2006, 07:53 AM
No, they are not forged, well not all of them. The higher perfomance based models have forged parts.

SIObsesst
15-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Yeah ur right about that joyride i have some plans for it.
If you don't mind could you explain to me how the balance of the crankshaft works?

DLO01
15-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Yeah ur right about that joyride i have some plans for it.
If you don't mind could you explain to me how the balance of the crankshaft works?

Just think of a circle and it rotating in a cirtain direction. Your crankshaft rotates around the Main Bearings which is the center. The weight of the Rods & pistons are fixed at one extremity which are you Big End Bearings.

If this was just simply the case the motor would be very much out of balance as the weight outside the center would want to pull further and further out. You would not be able to get much RPM's out of the motor.

Therefore there are Counterweights on the opposing side on crankshaft, opposite the Big Ends for each cylinder. This "cancels out" the weight of the Rods & Pistons giving you a ballanced rotation and enabeling higher Rpms.

Different Motors, different Manufactures have their own designs of crankshafts and numbers of counterweights.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Slow96GSR
15-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Balancing takes the "wobble" out of the rotating mass. I like the word wobble, more people get it when I say it that way!!

Here (http://www.rpmmachine.com/engine-balancing.shtml) is the best artical I could find right off.

Here (http://www.crankbalancer.com/) are some upclose pictures.

To balance right you need to take in your:

Crank
Rods
Pistons w/pins and rings
Flywheel w/bolts (Pressure plate optional)
Crank pulley and bolt
Rod bearings

If you need a less technical answer I can find one of my older posts on balancing.

SIObsesst
15-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Cool thanks for the help guy's
Hay slow96gsr that ''wobble'' word you like to use really breaks it down to a much simpler understanding lol.