PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug O-Rings...

Chris S15
14-08-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm about to change the rocker cover gasket...
but my mechanic said i should also do the following at the same time.

1) Distributor O-Ring (x1)
2) Spark Plug O-Rings (x4)

Is this true?

If so, does anyone know where i can get them?

I've called a few Auto1 stores and Repco stores, but they aren't able to supply them. The dealer is asking $15 per spark plug o-ring and $4 for the distributor o-ring. pretty expensive.

Hoping someone will know where i can get them cheaper.

Thanx

Chris

wynode
14-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Dizzy O-ring can be done without taking the rocker cover off.

Spark plug o-ring can be done when the rocker cover is off so your mech is right (if they need changing that is).

muhhan
14-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Chris S15, I think the service manual suggests to change these seals when the rocker cover is removed for services that require it to be removed, such as when adjusting the tappets, changing the timing belt, etc. so the mechanic isn't making stuff up on this.

The rocker cover shouldn't have to be removed all that often so now would be an ideal time to change these seals anyway otherwise the next time may not be for a while. Unfortunately, I don't think these sorts of seals are readily available from local automotive stores and you do run the risk of not them not fitting properly. Personally I would suggest the seals from the manufacturer. Although they might cost a little more it is cheaper than if something goes wrong because of a faulty seal. If you work it out you may not change the spark plug seals for 2 years so that inital $60 ends up being $30 per year or about $2.50 per month.

I'm not sure of the exact price if you buy them from the spare parts department of a Honda dealer. You may like to ask them to see if your mechanic is adding anything extra on top of this cost.

I've had too many bad experiences of cheap aftermarket parts not fitting so I just pay the little extra for the OEM parts that I know are made exactly for the car.

Andrew21
15-08-2006, 03:39 PM
pm "destrukshn " he can get everything you need OEM at a good price, he got me my spark plug 'o rings' which i just swapped over the other nite.. Very easy took me 20mins from start to finish.\

Should have taken photo's and i could have written my first DIY !!

Chris S15
16-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Thanx 4 the info.

Went to Trivett Classic near Parra. Bought the spark plug o-ring's and the dizzy o-ring from them. Approx $14 for each spark plug o-ring and $4 for the dizzy o-ring.

Also bought the following today. (all from Auto1 blacktown)

1) Rocker Cover Gasket
2) Oil Pan Gasket
3) RHS input drive shaft seal
4) RHS inner CV boot
5) RHS inner steering rack boot
6) Front control arm bushes
7) Rear trailing arm pivot bushes (the big ones, 80mm)

Getting this all done tomorrow at ND automotive solutions.
Hoping it'll be all done by the end of tomorrow.
Hopefully labour doesn't cost me too much.

If anyone knows of a mechanic who knows his honda's and doesn't charge too much in syd, pls pm or reply.

Thanx

Chris