PDA

View Full Version : EK thermo fan

Surrufus
15-08-2006, 01:13 AM
ok guys and girls
im having a little trouble with the thermo cooling fan in my 97 EK1 CXi hatch
the dam thing will not turn on even after running for 20 minutes
has anyone had a similar problem?
any ideas how to test to see if its the fan the thermo switch or just some wiring?
any help would be appreciated

Limbo
15-08-2006, 01:02 PM
try and bypass the switch and give the fan direct power, that way you can see if its the switch or the fan that is giving you trouble

|N|
15-08-2006, 01:18 PM
try and bypass the switch and give the fan direct power, that way you can see if its the switch or the fan that is giving you trouble

i have the same problem too.. adn thats wat i ve done....

and temp seems to be showing correct reading... so it s the fan switch?

barefootbonzai
15-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Step you can do to test:

locate your fan switch. there's 2 wires there, manually link the 2 with another wire. If your fan turns on, the switch is ****ed, but if your fan doesn't turn on, try supplying direct power to fan. If direct power works, you got wiring issues, if fan doesn't work, get a new fan.

barefootbonzai
15-08-2006, 01:43 PM
note i'm taking the assumption that you are sure it's not working correctly and not because you think your fan should be on by now and it's not.

Surrufus
15-08-2006, 03:36 PM
yeh bonzi im sure its not working correctly because it should have turned on twice in the time i was running the car
thanx guys
manually linked the switch... thermo fan works fine... must be the thermo switch
ill test that and the thermostat when i get a chance

BLKek
15-08-2006, 09:46 PM
From memory the fan comes on when you turn the A/C on, do you have A/C?

ECU-MAN
15-08-2006, 10:00 PM
another quick test is with the engine off and the ignition off, pull out the thermo fan relay, and with long nose pliers bridge the two contact for the thermo fan and it will start up,

this only test the fan /fues and wiring.

this test doesnt allow for the thermo switch and ECU ( ECU and AC circuit control fan output. some hondas have fan control modual as well )

Surrufus
16-08-2006, 10:38 AM
im unplugged the thermo switch from the harness and bridged that connector with a paper clip and the fan turned on so it must be the thermo switch

PJT
30-08-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread. I just had the same experience with my b18c2. Also got the fan working when I jumped the switch. So I replaced the switch with a brand newy. Mother truckin fan still wont turn on!! wtf?! Only thing I can think of is air in the fluid? Already bled the bastard and the pipes feel hot as ****. Any help guys?

carayan
31-08-2014, 01:36 AM
had the same issue in my ek b18c2

no fans, fan switch ok, fan temp ok, led me to believe that it was the fan temp sensor had died
checked grounds just to be safe and hey presto, fans turn on lol