PDA

View Full Version : do i need a roadworthy certificate?

lilwilliam
15-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Ive rang the rta and asked them if i need to get a roadworthy certificate in NSW and they told me that im allowed a 20% of increase in power but becuase im going from a 1.8L to a 1.6L i dont need one. but i would need a blue slip. but my concience is telling me that he was wrong any help?

Chuckz
15-08-2006, 05:47 PM
just wondering....how come you're downsizing??

lilwilliam
15-08-2006, 05:48 PM
err stock da9 engine to b16a. old engine had the dick so i decided to change to a vtec :D

Elwood
15-08-2006, 07:40 PM
if thats what the RTA said id imagine hed be right man

DreadAngel
15-08-2006, 07:44 PM
I thought if your doing engine conversion no matter what it is, you need a certificate because its 'not' factory fitement?

Q_ball
15-08-2006, 07:46 PM
As far as i know, any sort of engine swap must be complied by the RTA.
Colour changes require a blue slip for god sake lol, engine swaps will be the same.

CRXer
15-08-2006, 07:52 PM
As far as i know, any sort of engine swap must be complied by the RTA.
Colour changes require a blue slip for god sake lol, engine swaps will be the same.

Correct,you need someone to verify the engine number change & the lady behind the desk at the rta isnt gonna go out to your car to do it,so u need a blue slip.
Also make sure u take proof of purchase of the engine,ie receipt, with the blue slip to the rta.Installation receipt,if prof installed, is handy to take as well but not essential.

lilwilliam
15-08-2006, 07:52 PM
so all i need to do is get a blueslip, would i need to do anything else? would i need to tell the insurance company as well?

Q_ball
15-08-2006, 07:55 PM
so all i need to do is get a blueslip, would i need to do anything else? would i need to tell the insurance company as well?
Getting a blueslip means that your car is road worthy.
Think of it as a more "thorough" check of your car compared to a pink slip.

mugeneration
16-08-2006, 05:26 PM
You'll need an engineer's certificate as well will you not?

Q_ball
16-08-2006, 05:46 PM
To my knowledge, an engineers report helps in getting a blueslip, whilst a blueslip itself proves your cars roadworthy-ness and allows the rego for that car to be reinstated.

lilwilliam
16-08-2006, 06:12 PM
To my knowledge, an engineers report helps in getting a blueslip, whilst a blueslip itself proves your cars roadworthy-ness and allows the rego for that car to be reinstated.

so would i need to get a roadworthy cert or not? Would i also need to inform my insurance company too?

KWICKS
16-08-2006, 06:58 PM
I've had a factory engine replacement under warranty in our Subaru, and it needed a blue slip. Basically the workshop will do everything for you, including getting the blue slip. You take this and the receipt to the RTA and get new rego papers issued if memory serves me right. You also advise your insurer of the change - it is your duty to disclose anything that may affect the policy. If your lucky they won't slug you for an increase in your premium - but I wouldn't bet on it! Buggers will do anything to gouge more money out of us.

Q_ball
17-08-2006, 07:46 PM
so would i need to get a roadworthy cert or not? Would i also need to inform my insurance company too?
YES!!

sydteg21
17-08-2006, 08:11 PM
how much is blue slip?

Limbo
17-08-2006, 09:06 PM
last time i got one it was $50, cos of my prior engine transplant.

Yes you don't need the engineer's certificate. The blueslip place will not give you a blueslip if it needs to be engineered.

I got mine blueslipped without engineer certificate. Generally they don't mind so long as the engine came out of the same type of car.