PDA

View Full Version : dirty IACV sensor h22a accord

h22a accord
17-05-2004, 10:08 AM
I had an erratic idle, ECU was throwing a code for the IACV sensor,pulled off the IACV and cleaned it with carby cleaner etc it was very black and dirty, put it back on, cleared the fault codes......problem solved, smooth idle and no fualt code.

Drove 500km to sydney and problem returned.

ideas?

cam.

bennjamin
17-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Did you reset your ECU after cleaning the IACV ? IF so , after while idling - did you adjust your "idle screw" (to adjust the engine idle speed) to suit back to nromal after a clean IACV ?
Possibly , after you cleaned the engine was revving slightly higher , which u did not notice - and once you drove to Sydney it became more apparent and chuggy/ loosened up ?

Try warming up your car , letting idle , and adjust the idle screw with a flathead screwdriver - only slightly either left or right , to the magic 700+- rpms or so - SHOULD be your answer....

h22a accord
17-05-2004, 04:29 PM
yup, reset the ecu....the same time as i cleared the fault code. i pulled fuse 10a ( radio back up ) in the main box, let the car sit for 10 mins, put it back in, started it and then adjusted the idle to the magic 700rpm with a flat head screw driver.

I havnt had a chance to look at it again, but it is giving the same symptoms as b4.....the revs rise wuickly to 1200rpm, then drop quickly to 700rpm and so on and so on.....its pretty constant.

i think i might check the ohms of the sensor like it says to do in my workshop manual as the sensor might be bad.

!st, i will take off the sensor and clean it out like the way i did it the first time. if it works, then something is causing it to get carboned up and i have to find out what it is.

thanks for ya help anyways.

cam.