PDA

View Full Version : Hints with DC2R

HarryS
15-08-2006, 10:04 PM
hi all

i am thinking about getting a type R(dc2r shape or the newer shape) and was wondering what things i should look out for when i go to inspect one. i dont have alot of info on what to look out for and anything along those lines. any help or hints would be heaps appreciated. i will be going from a S15 200sx to a Type R. if you know anyone selling one or wanting to trade, a heads up would be good too.

cheers, Harry

FR33K
16-08-2006, 07:47 AM
oh no... before you get flammed
search ;)

Q_ball
16-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Moved to the land of n00bness :p

HarryS
16-08-2006, 09:53 AM
LOL...land of noobness.

FR33K: i will search again...thanks for the heads up buddy

Zilli
16-08-2006, 09:59 AM
the main things will be issues with the clutch, they cop a heap of abuse, so make sure its fresh, and theres no noises squeaks springy noises from there...

check cv's (FWD car) these cars get heaps of rattles and squeaks as a result of the stiff suspension out of the box.

try and get one thats not modified, that way you know its not molested

mugeneration
16-08-2006, 05:25 PM
well besides regular things like tyre wear, wheel damage and general wear and tear theres not TOO much to watch out for. General things to look at when lookin at a car is where its stored, look for oil stains on the ground, and wether it is undercover or not. Check the oil and air filters and tyre pressure as well. A well cared for car that gets a bit of a rev every now and then is better than a dying uncared for car.

The clutch is a good place to start, a clutch should last about 150,000km so if its got a dodgy clutch not around that number of ks (or multiple therof) it has prolly had a bit of a thrashing. Check the front bar, and underneath the car for scrapes or anything looking out of the ordinary.

Spunkymonkey
16-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Check for the basics - is the engine clean - is there any obvious oil/fluid leaks? Paintwork - can you see any mismatch in paintwork, or any uneven panels that look like its been in a major accident.

check the power options work - e.g Mirrors, windows.

Other less trivial things: rattling atenna when power is turned on/off, rattling windows

no harm in looking under the car to check the state of the exhaust either, to see if there has been a damage from rocks etc.

HarryS
17-08-2006, 11:16 AM
hey all

thanks for all the help, i wil take it all into account when looking at one this weekend...now i just need to sell my car.

Harry

VTECACCORD
17-08-2006, 03:48 PM
with the dc2R take note, most of them have pretty crappy paint quality (even by honda standards).

And most of them will have scraped to hell front lips, its just part of owning the car, the recaros will have some visible signs of wear too, so just expect that as well.

be warned though, its not the easiest car to live with on a daily basis, in fact if you do use it on a daily basis i think ull hate it.

Q_ball
17-08-2006, 07:40 PM
with the dc2R take note, most of them have pretty crappy paint quality (even by honda standards).
Not all man, depends on whether the owner has taken care of their car or not!

be warned though, its not the easiest car to live with on a daily basis, in fact if you do use it on a daily basis i think ull hate it.
Each to their own, i know plenty dc2r owners, and they love their cars!

Iwishiwasa Type R
18-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Awesome daily driver...

A couple of learning curves if you do get one..

when at a full stop and turning left or right eg a T section. Dont launch it coz the lsd hates it and starts to bind up and surprise you a little.

going form a silvia to a dc2.. you will probably hate having to change gears a lot more times than you would in the sylvia (you will get what i mean if you drive one for a day)....

Sucks trying to park it at times coz you cant see where the front end is at times, coz i sit far back...lol

if you prev owned a sylvia i am sure you will be able to pick out a lemon car in general.. but i dont think there is no real faults that are common to all dc2r ..

happy shopping...You will love the punching it mid corner around big roundabouts.

gReY-oNe
18-08-2006, 12:30 AM
oh no... before you get flammed
search ;)

LOL :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

well searched up a few things u myte be interested in reading cheers

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43273&highlight=dc2r

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17428&highlight=dc2r

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12560&highlight=dc2r

:wave:

HarryS
19-08-2006, 03:35 PM
hey all thanks for your replys and to the 3 threads that were posted. i am holding off with the type r for now as i went for a drive yesterday in one and there was a big difference which was expected between my s15 and the type r.

cheers

tofu R
19-08-2006, 04:15 PM
what colour s15 you got?
i'd be interested in a swap =)

Q_ball
19-08-2006, 04:16 PM
He has a blue S15 :)
edit: Plz keep all details to PM tho.

Poeter
20-08-2006, 01:09 PM
I would have wanted a dc2r since they're affordable now.

Only 2 problems that really discourages people to own these is that they're expensive to insure and their Recaro seats are often thieves magnets.

My uncle has been a victim of 2 cases already. Now he's relunctant to drive it as a daily basis car.