PDA

View Full Version : Malfunction Light!!!

civic-dream
16-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi guys,

Recently i had the dizzy replaced on my EK VTi-R and now the malfunction light comes on and stays on after about 10mins of driving when the engine's warmed up... but never comes on when the engine's cold...

It never came on before the new dizzy was put in by the mechanics.. they say its probably just one of the sensors not being connected properly..

i've still been driving it around a little... is this a bad thing to do??.

it still seems to run the same despite the exhaust note sounding a little lower than before...

is it safe to keep driving it???

EuroDude
16-08-2006, 12:55 PM
It should be ok to drive it around temporarily, as long as its not driving strange or anything. The ECU can compensate for some engine/sensor problems.

But you should check what the ECU code is to give you an idea of whats wrong. I guess you have already reconnected the various sensors around the engine (while the car is off off course)?

Use this guide to determine the ECU code:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9846

It could be just a bad 02 sensor or the Dizzy timing is off, or something.

ps. After you get the code, reset the ECU (remove the BACKUP fuse for a minute) and see if that helps.

ECU-MAN
16-08-2006, 11:28 PM
might be wrong, but it sounds like you got a recon or remanufactured Dizzy,

if so the problem is the dizzy has been repaired after the bearing failed, the CYP CKP or TDC sensor is faulty coz the pick up was getting hit by the metal tooth on the shaft. now the ECU detects noise in the sensor thus making the dizzy useless..

hope im wrong, but if you did not get a brand new dizzy but a recon or change over unit, then I recon that is your problem.

Id be taking it back to the place that fixed it for you and insist they look at it.

you can check the ecu your self, if you have code

4, 8, or 9 then Ill be investigating the warranty you got with the dizzy.

civic-dream
17-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks ECU-MAN,

i did the DIY ECU code and it flashed 8 times(also the ABS light flashed btw)..

so this mean's they gave me a faulty dizzy??...

yes its not a brand new dizzy they used too... brand new would've cost me around $1400!!!

i think i'll be speaking to my mechanic shortly

civic-dream
17-08-2006, 05:39 PM
btw is it common for second-hand parts to have warranties??

if the part is faulty then they should fix it at no extra cost right??

and also..

i'm not really sure what the TDC(ECU code 8) means but could i just take the
dizzy out and get it fixed by itself??

thanks.

EuroDude
17-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Yes I believe its trade practice/law to provide a 3 month warranty on parts and labour.

Take it back to them and get them to replace it again, they seem to have gotten a cheap dodgy one from the wreckers and didnt test it properly.

ECU-MAN
17-08-2006, 09:04 PM
as above.

its just wishfull thinking to say it might be ok

its common for recon and repaired dizzys to have this problem

take it back and demand satisfaction or pull out yoru dualling glove.

you have consumer rights, they sold you a POS.

good luck

btw how many times does the ABS ligt blink