PDA

View Full Version : modifying a B16A without eatting more petrol

cuongn
16-08-2006, 03:40 PM
just wondering, wat? would i need to do to make abit more power to a b16a2, without it eatting more petrol, wats the standard power up grade with it eatting more petrol, wat are the listing of aftermarket products that i can use,?/

zco
16-08-2006, 03:51 PM
wellsed qBOR you newcomer.

fatboyz39
16-08-2006, 04:32 PM
adding I/H/E will increase your fuel economy. i.e use less fuel.

Once you start doing cams and internals thats when fuel consumption will be a problem.

VT3C
16-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Seriously, majority of mods that you do to your engine that produce more power will use more petrol.

nah man more power comes through increased efficiency.. yes you might use more petrol but that's cause you're making more power.. for the same amount of power with mods you're using less petrol.. if that makes sense... it's kinda hard to explain.

but my fuel ecconomy since fitting a header is noticably better.. because you make more power, you dont have to use as much throttle to get going etc = less fuel...

ZeForce
16-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Get a programmable ECU and have it dyno tuned properly.... Leaning out the mixture a bit will get you more power from less fuel :thumbsup: I recently had my B16a tuned by ProECU and there is noticeable power gains throughout the entire rpm range with the same, if not better fuel economy....

mugeneration
16-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Get a programmable ECU and have it dyno tuned properly.... Leaning out the mixture a bit will get you more power from less fuel :thumbsup:
I recently had my B16a tuned by ProECU and there is noticeable power gains throughout the entire rpm range with the same, if not better fuel economy....

Agreed, ECU change will help this. Also upgrade you air intake and exhaust. Spark plugs and leads are also on the list. Anything else will increase your fuel consumption (assuming youd drive it harder once its been done of course)

Zdster
16-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Get a programmable ECU and have it dyno tuned properly.... Leaning out the mixture a bit will get you more power from less fuel :thumbsup:
I recently had my B16a tuned by ProECU and there is noticeable power gains throughout the entire rpm range with the same, if not better fuel economy....

Well said. A good tune should assist fuel economy.

muhhan
16-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Also, reducing the weight of the vehicle as much as possible will increase power to weight ratio, increase braking efficiency, and improve fuel economy. It can be done relatively cheap by removing every 'non-essential' part, but as with any modification if you go hardcore it will be expensive. Hardcore meaning carbon fibre and titanium parts.

Limbo
17-08-2006, 01:46 PM
generally more power means more fuel. There is always a trade-off.

Lightening the car will give you better power to weight but not more power.

Even when the engine is more efficient, if you want more power your gonna have to use up abit more fuel.

Its silly to bother moding the car for power if you want fuel efficiency.
If honda could do it cheaply they would have and sold more cars!

cuongn
17-08-2006, 03:37 PM
fatboyz wat does I/H/E means

ZeForce
17-08-2006, 03:52 PM
fatboyz wat does I/H/E means

Intake/Header/Exhaust.... pretty much the most basic of bolt-on mods

cuongn
18-08-2006, 06:24 AM
wat about internal mods, wat wouldnt make it eat petrol

HERO_B16
18-08-2006, 06:55 AM
try changing your timming belt, that helps or get some pully kits, but i think it mite eat petrol,

Dylanamus
18-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Do you know how a combustion engine works? Anyway, the only modification that seems worthwhile to me that will actually increase your power/fuel efficiency is the exhaust. A lot of stock exhausts are restrictive. If your header is restrictive too, replacing that might help a bit, but probably not worth the cash by the sounds of your goals.

My friend's 88 GL Civic gained about 50km off a tank in city driving and about 100km cruising from a simple 2.0" exhaust and hi-flow cat mod. The throttle response and overall feel of power was better too.

Similarly if you modify your intake to suck more air more quickly, throttle response can be increased slightly altering your perception of power.

Twincam16
18-08-2006, 08:21 PM
nah man more power comes through increased efficiency.. yes you might use more petrol but that's cause you're making more power.. for the same amount of power with mods you're using less petrol.. if that makes sense... it's kinda hard to explain.

but my fuel ecconomy since fitting a header is noticably better.. because you make more power, you dont have to use as much throttle to get going etc = less fuel...

More power is not directly related to increased efficiency. In a perfect world, where o2 sensors and bad fuel didnt exist, and mods were honed in perfectly on your engine, then yes, this is true - To a degree. Your car will respond better to mods, but this is only where your ECU is running at proper standard to the modified mods - ie. retune/reset.

If you want better fuel economy, slight mods will make things worse unless the ECU is reprogrammed, as your stock ECU will richen your A:F. Modifications after this will see more power and gradually more fuel consumption as there is always a greater loss in energy for larger amount of power added.

czy_sol87
19-08-2006, 11:14 AM
More power is not directly related to increased efficiency. In a perfect world, where o2 sensors and bad fuel didnt exist, and mods were honed in perfectly on your engine, then yes, this is true - To a degree. Your car will respond better to mods, but this is only where your ECU is running at proper standard to the modified mods - ie. retune/reset.

If you want better fuel economy, slight mods will make things worse unless the ECU is reprogrammed, as your stock ECU will richen your A:F. Modifications after this will see more power and gradually more fuel consumption as there is always a greater loss in energy for larger amount of power added.
good work mate^^^:thumbsup:
in simple terms, if u want more power u gonna have to use more fuel, thats how it works

Q_ball
19-08-2006, 11:17 AM
I still think that if you're concerned about fuel efficiency, you should try and leave ur car as stock as possible.
Regret deleting my previous post
I'm not yet convinced.

CONAN
20-08-2006, 02:32 AM
generally more power means more fuel. There is always a trade-off.

Lightening the car will give you better power to weight but not more power.

Even when the engine is more efficient, if you want more power your gonna have to use up abit more fuel.

Its silly to bother moding the car for power if you want fuel efficiency.
If honda could do it cheaply they would have and sold more cars!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
well said

cuongn
21-08-2006, 06:18 AM
wat kind of good timming belt are there? wats the best to use for the b16a, would a standard honda timming belt from peter warren be good? can anyone test me wats da best to use

Limbo
21-08-2006, 04:43 PM
for a stock car OEM honda parts are more than adequate and sometimes better than the aftermarket things out there.

With timing belts it is always good to use the OEM item on any make, unless you buy an extremely good branded one i.e toda, The better ones generally ensure that they don't snap and are accurate over time, you won't get more power out of a timing belt.

fuzionz
21-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Try advancing your timing, thats a cheap mod

Limbo
22-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Try advancing your timing, thats a cheap mod

But its still gonna use more petrol

Twincam16
22-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Stripping your car and buying lighter shoes are the only "fuel saving" mods I can think of... :p

BlitZ
22-08-2006, 08:51 PM
try changing your timming belt

:thumbsup: heheheeheheh..

get yourself some 2kg racing rims, lose some weight, wear less clothes... drop the back seats, ligten flywheel, remove aircon, remove power steering, change to dry call battery, run less fuel tank,

bigjo5
22-08-2006, 09:17 PM
well there really isnt much mods u can do to make ur car faster without the fuel consumption.. so bsides like CAI?,cat back exhaust? advancing timing..etc by doin them u will only have a slight difference from standard. unless u get into force induction or internals. if u want power then your gonna have to put out some the dosh in ur pocket.

Limbo
24-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Blitz you forgot to replace panels with Carbon fibre or lighter substitutes and take out sound system :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: heheheeheheh..

get yourself some 2kg racing rims, lose some weight, wear less clothes... drop the back seats, ligten flywheel, remove aircon, remove power steering, change to dry call battery, run less fuel tank,

Q_ball
24-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Either that, or convert your car to a Hybrid :p
Batteries ftw y0!

BlitZ
24-08-2006, 11:29 AM
GOT IT...

Turbo Charge the b16a... and install LPG gas... there is a rebate for teh LPG too..

cuongn
25-08-2006, 06:49 AM
would i get defect if i strip da interior

cuongn
25-08-2006, 06:53 AM
when u mean 2kg rims, does it mean all 4 or just one rim., what kind of rims is good for it

Q_ball
25-08-2006, 08:30 AM
HAHAHA,
Seriously man, use your brain...
Where are you gonna find a set of rims that weigh out 500g EACH lol
Of course it would be 2kg PER rim.

bennjamin
25-08-2006, 08:44 AM
HAHAHA,

show me where you can find rims 2kg EACH still ? lol.

iced
04-09-2006, 07:42 PM
show me where you can find rims 2kg EACH still ? lol.

even 15inch Enkei with MAT are around 5kg each
2kg hahaha

bigjo5
04-09-2006, 07:47 PM
HAHAHA,
haha lol.. wat is this lol a commedy show .. lol this shiet is funni1 hahah

turtleEK1
04-09-2006, 08:04 PM
would i get defect if i strip da interior

this seems to be a hairy issue... from what i can see in your avatar you own a del sol... so i wouldn't think it would be as obvious in your car visually, but you'd feel your car being faster having less weight!