PDA

View Full Version : AT Torque Converter

dclok1
16-08-2006, 10:28 PM
In an automatic could the torque converter when hot result in the car stalling?

destrukshn
16-08-2006, 10:29 PM
i'd say it'll cause slipping?

ECU-MAN
16-08-2006, 11:35 PM
In an automatic could the torque converter when hot result in the car stalling?

no,

bust as mentioned above, it could cause the RPM to flare if it was starved of oil.

check the ECU for codes

what car do you have

dclok1
17-08-2006, 09:03 PM
isnt slipping a natural part of torque converters? mr ecu man, i have checked the ecu codes and i get no blips what so ever. maybe im doing it wrong. its an auto import eg6.

the reason i think its the torque converter is because the the car stalls when idling in drive. but it doesnt do it when the car is in neutral. thus i conclude that the only difference between idling in drive and engaging the nuetral is the torque converter or possibly the fly wheel.

mr ecu man, if you were in melb id invite you round to have a look and buy you a beer for good measure.

ECU-MAN
17-08-2006, 09:18 PM
thanks for the offer, but im in sa

the torque converter's job is to provide disengagement and torque multiplication, you could call it slip, when you stall it up its ment to provide drive with out any sliping what so ever,

slipping is mostly dude to low oil in the system.

things to look at if it stalls in D,

the EACV may not be working properly, its ment to compensate for the drop in RPM's by putting it in gear.

to check the ecu for codes did you bridge the two pin connector ????

if you have no codes the MIL should stay on untill you unplug it again.

also make sure the TB is clean.

dclok1
17-08-2006, 09:40 PM
hmm ok i havent looked into the EACV. the revs just seem to sink, normally idle around 750, but when it stall it just keep going down, once it goes below 700 its dies. yeah i did birdge it with a paperclip, didnt seem to do anything special. whats the MIL? i gave the TB a good clean and the air filter.

ECU-MAN
17-08-2006, 09:50 PM
MIL = Malfunction Indicatot Lamp ( engine light in cluster. )

get the engine idling at normal temp, then unplug the EACV, then put it in gear. see what happens.