PDA

View Full Version : D16A8 rebuild need advise please...

MAN16V
17-08-2006, 09:00 AM
hey im doing a rebuild on my D16A8 and i want to make it a bit stronger for a turbo to go on what things am i looking at to change to make able to hold the turbo and not pop the engine????
thanks for you help.

NeRV
17-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Whats wrong with the motor?? if you wanna build it for boost... to be on the safe side, get pistons,rods,bearings, new headgasket... but it also depends on how much psi or whp you are aiming for, i read on some forums that the D16Y1 is good for 200 - 250 hp on the stock block before trouble starts happening. and it also comes down to your budget.... and the key to having a reliable boosted motor is the Tuning.

MAN16V
17-08-2006, 06:07 PM
The Cam Belt broke and valves stayed open and crown of piston hit then and most likly bent them.... so now is the time to rebuild for a turbo to go on in the near future thanks for your advise on what to change what are good brands and shit for these parts...

NeRV
17-08-2006, 06:24 PM
damn how did you do all that??
well some good brands imo are Pauter, Eagle, Crower, Scat and a few others this is for Rods. Pistons can be from, Wiseco, CP, SRP/JE, Arias, and Vitara Pistons. Get yourself some ARP Headstuds cause all i hear are good reviews on them. OEM, Fel-Pro, and Cometic make some good gaskets. But all these goodies come at a price... so really depends on your budget and what kind of power you are aiming to push.

Slow96GSR
18-08-2006, 05:26 AM
Sucks about the belt. Happened to me!! It is all going to depend on the budget but you really have to get with your machinist to get his fees before you order a bunch of part. No point in buying 3k in parts if you don't have the money to put them in. The average we charge here for basic machining for a basic rebuild is $1500USD and that includes disassembly, assembly, cleaning, machining, balancing the rotating mass, blueprinting, and whatever else we might need to do.

The parts are about $1500USD for a new crank, piston set, and rods (In a set from eagle.) if you want to go extreme. Pistons are about $500USD for turbo pistons and that’s only $50USD over stock types. The better the piston the more you pay. ARP studs are perfect, Cometic makes great head gaskets, Crower or Ferrea for the valve train, Eagle for rods and crankshaft, and CP or JE/SRP for the pistons. Right now pistons are coming back in to stock as at the beginning of the summer most Honda pistons end up on back order… racing season here starts! Might as well do it right the first time rather than redo it in a few months. You should be able to get all the parts for at most $4k USD and $500-$1500USD for machining, $1500USD for the rotating mass, $1500USD for the full valve train, $1k USD for others. Then whatever turbo kit you want. If you need any help on parts or what needs to be done feel free to ask. Good luck and have fun!

Oh also the bearings make a BIG difference. If you are going to be waiting a few weeks to assemble this beast order up some Calico Bearings for her. The help a lot and we noticed a big difference. Big race tams are using them as well so they must be doing something right... Calico Coatings (http://www.calicocoatings.com/index.phtml?bearings).

saxman
18-08-2006, 05:53 AM
NeRV... vitara pistons are not a brand. It's an oem piston from a suzuki vitara that is basically a lower comp ratio cast piston that happens to fit in the d16's. The help to allow a bit more boost than stock due to the lower comp ratio, but they really only serve the purpose as an option when you're trying to do things as absolutely cheap as possible. If going through the hassle of a big rebuild, I really wouldn't consider them a good option.

NeRV
18-08-2006, 08:54 AM
ahhh ok thanks for clearing that up for me saxman

MAN16V
20-08-2006, 09:49 AM
thanks for all your help ppl ill keep all that in mind ill let you know how i go...