PDA

View Full Version : Euro - Injen Cai

sodaz
17-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi guys!

A mate of mine just bought a Euro and he wants to install the Injen CAI for a bit more grunt. From reading what others have said here, there's a higher chance of hydrolocking compared to the icebox i have installed.

Is the filter really that close to the ground in the bumper cavity? If the risk is really high i will advise him not to get it.

Do you guys know where I can download some installation instructions so I can show my friend?

Thanks! :D

aaronng
17-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Hydrolocking comparison between various intakes: http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20016&highlight=hydrolock

BusterSonic12
17-08-2006, 09:54 PM
if i remember correctly, the CAI sits low, where the old resonator was, and where the icebox intake horn is :D

yfin
17-08-2006, 10:01 PM
The US forums have literally thousands of members and I have only read of 1 case of hydrolock involving a TSX in 3 years. Lots of people have a CAI. So do the math on the risk. It is there but if you don't drive though flooded roads or rivers you should be fine.

I have read of none in Australia involving a CL9.

I tried to find the thread involving the TSX but cannot connect to that forum at the moment.

curik
17-08-2006, 10:36 PM
go CAI, you wont regret it. Heaps of power and addicting sound. Hydrolock? U need a water puddle that is about 30cm deep to hydrolock the car. Unless if you go offroad or through the forest often, maybe this isnt the right choice.

yfin
17-08-2006, 10:43 PM
go CAI, you wont regret it. Heaps of power and addicting sound. Hydrolock? U need a water puddle that is about 30cm deep to hydrolock the car. Unless if you go offroad or through the forest often, maybe this isnt the right choice.
There is an improvement but not "heaps". A change in intake sound sometimes is deceiving IMO. Just because something is noisy - doesn't make it fast.

I am not sure whether your friend has an auto Euro - but maybe CAI is not the best choice as the torque loss down low is more noticeable with the auto.

curik
17-08-2006, 11:02 PM
deceiving is better than actual. You can feel your car going a lot faster but its actually not. So your license is safer. Hahaha Lara, you should have got the Injen!

stephen8512
18-08-2006, 01:42 AM
take some words of advice from someone that has an INJEN CAI installed
u are NOT, repeat, NOT going to hydrolock ur car.
TRUST me on this
the only time u'd hydrolock is if u set ur car in puddle of water that is fairly deep and redline it.

yfin
18-08-2006, 02:27 AM
take some words of advice from someone that has an INJEN CAI installed
u are NOT, repeat, NOT going to hydrolock ur car.
TRUST me on this
the only time u'd hydrolock is if u set ur car in puddle of water that is fairly deep and redline it.

IMO that is a big call as there are too many variables - moving vehicle, moving water, etc. If the road is flooded it can become a wave when the car is moving through it. Hydrolock is not a myth. I agree sometimes the risk is overstated but it does happen.

Lukily the Euro has quite good shielding from water from both the front and under the car. But it could still happen - as it did to the guy in the USA (will post up link once that forum is back up).

stephen8512
18-08-2006, 02:44 AM
IMO that is a big call as there are too many variables - moving vehicle, moving water, etc. If the road is flooded it can become a wave when the car is moving through it. Hydrolock is not a myth. I agree sometimes the risk is overstated but it does happen.

Lukily the Euro has quite good shielding from water from both the front and under the car. But it could still happen - as it did to the guy in the USA (will post up link once that forum is back up).

yes it is a big call, but such a big call has come from reading wat others posted on TSXCLUB and AZINE and also my own experiences and i can safely say, it will not hydrolock.
in all honesty, australia atm are having a drought crisis so i doubt ur gonna be driving in floods anytime soon

never said hydrolock was a myth but its like comparing it to blimp deaths in the united states. according to stats, it kills 1 american every 5 years or something.....which is miniscule and could be classed insignificant in the scheme of things.

also, when ur moving and say u do happen to go thru a fairly large sized pothole with a decent amt of water. since ur already moving, chances are the water will just splash and wont have the ability to hydrolock the car anyway.

Pumped
18-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Id have to agree, ive got the Injen CAI, Even if it was flooding heavy enough to hydrolock!! id have to ask myself "Wtf am i doing driving" :)

sodaz
18-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Hydrolocking comparison between various intakes: http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20016&highlight=hydrolock
From the diagram it seems like the Injen CAI sits a fair bit higher than the K&N typhoon CAI. Is it really like that in reality? That drycharger thing also seems interesting but wouldn't wrapping your filter with another filter decrease performance because it restricts airflow?

My mate drives an Auto and he's hoping to get the CAI for better performance and sound. I've read here that the CAI results in a loss of low end torque and I'm pretty sure that's something he wouldn't appreciate. I've got the icebox and it improves throttle response so is the CAI like the opposite of that (i.e more sluggish in low revs but more power in high revs)?

aaronng
18-08-2006, 08:58 PM
From the diagram it seems like the Injen CAI sits a fair bit higher than the K&N typhoon CAI. Is it really like that in reality? That drycharger thing also seems interesting but wouldn't wrapping your filter with another filter decrease performance because it restricts airflow?

My mate drives an Auto and he's hoping to get the CAI for better performance and sound. I've read here that the CAI results in a loss of low end torque and I'm pretty sure that's something he wouldn't appreciate. I've got the icebox and it improves throttle response so is the CAI like the opposite of that (i.e more sluggish in low revs but more power in high revs)?
Yes, the Typhoon is a little bit longer than the old RD Injen.

yfin
18-08-2006, 09:16 PM
in my opinion the auto is better suited to an intake that preserves the low end power and torque - eg panel style intakes such as the Mugen, Icebox, etc. Others may disagree.

Chris_F
18-08-2006, 09:19 PM
^ nah i think that's pretty spot on

BusterSonic12
19-08-2006, 12:45 AM
yeppi :thumbsup: 06 euro lux, auto. with a comptech icebox, damn good i reckon~!!

in my opinion the auto is better suited to an intake that preserves the low end power and torque - eg panel style intakes such as the Mugen, Icebox, etc. Others may disagree.

xiang
19-08-2006, 02:51 AM
One quick question, i've removed my resonator, and it sounds pretty deep and throaty at WOT. Does the injen sound and different?

BusterSonic12
19-08-2006, 10:33 AM
One quick question, i've removed my resonator, and it sounds pretty deep and throaty at WOT. Does the injen sound and different?

yep.. do you find around the 2500-3000rpm, that there's buzzing sound kinda thing... once i added the comptech, it reduced it heaps, and now you can't tell, also it is louder at higher rpm. go take a look at my DIY, i have diy on the comptech icebox, and there's a sound file for better and after. the better is no resonator :wave:

sodaz
19-08-2006, 12:57 PM
I think i'll tell my mate not to get the injen then. Thanks for all the advice/opinions guys.

aaronng
19-08-2006, 05:10 PM
The injen CAI will sound louder and you can clearly hear the induction roar. For now with the resonator off, it's more of a loud mish-mash of noise. With the CAI, it sounds more like music.

curik
19-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Another thing to know. The SP1431 makes a different sound than RD. The sound of the RD is more like a supercharger whinning. I just noticed this difference after riding in kitbkk's car with the RD. My SP just growls deeply when you apply 3/4 - WOT. You will be addicted to the sound. Even the black cat will lose all its fur!

sodaz
19-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Another thing to know. The SP1431 makes a different sound than RD. The sound of the RD is more like a supercharger whinning. I just noticed this difference after riding in kitbkk's car with the RD. My SP just growls deeply when you apply 3/4 - WOT. You will be addicted to the sound. Even the black cat will lose all its fur!

What's the difference between SP and RD?

curik
19-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Not too sure, the position of the temp? sensor is now located on the tube instead of the rubber elbow. The sound is also different, and by looking at the dyno sheets from injen the SP has better air/fuel ratio accross all rpm ranges. The SP also makes more power and less low down torque. Someone pls correct this if wrong.

aaronng
20-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Wait til my secret weapon comes in. Not only will my cat lose her fur, she'll grow polka dots all over when I WOT.

corn_flakes
20-08-2006, 01:16 PM
wtf is "WOT"?

lol so many abreviations i've never heard of...

Gerald28
20-08-2006, 02:38 PM
WOT = Wide Open Throttle

Chris_F
20-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Wait til my secret weapon comes in. Not only will my cat lose her fur, she'll grow polka dots all over when I WOT.

secret weapon?????

corn_flakes
20-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by aaronng

secret weapon.....*wink wink*

cat.....*wink ;) wink*

fur.....u know what i mean

polka dots.....and by that u mean genital herpes?

WOT....*ka ching*

curik
20-08-2006, 10:01 PM
he's lying, he doesnt even have a cat

aaronng
20-08-2006, 10:23 PM
<-----------------------My kitty.

Anyway... secret weapons... yummy.... Hope I can get it soon and roar to the meet.

WTF genital herpes????? Polka dots... You know, the pattern that they taught us at school...........

curik
20-08-2006, 10:55 PM
That cat is nice! I really like the drop and the white grill with CF trunk and hood! And where did you get the striped tail spoiler and that M3 style ears?

So from now on you are known as the Black cat with optional white racing strip.

Chris_F
20-08-2006, 11:06 PM
^ lol the last four posts got me scratching my head

so the the secret weapon, is either an animal or an std?

corn_flakes
20-08-2006, 11:25 PM
the secret weapon is aaron...

cat aka pussy

fur aka pubes

polka dots aka s.t.d.

WOT aka ejaculation

omg i'm a dirty prick...lol!

curik
20-08-2006, 11:28 PM
you are corny

xiang
21-08-2006, 12:12 AM
rofl.. wtf?
M3 Style Ears.. AHHAHA

aaronng
21-08-2006, 12:15 AM
That cat is nice! I really like the drop and the white grill with CF trunk and hood! And where did you get the striped tail spoiler and that M3 style ears?

So from now on you are known as the Black cat with optional white racing strip.
LOL! That cracked me up. :thumbsup:

aaronng
21-08-2006, 12:16 AM
^ lol the last four posts got me scratching my head

so the the secret weapon, is either an animal or an std?
LOL, it's an std.

EuroAccord13
21-08-2006, 02:28 PM
I possess knowledge of Aaron's secret weapon because I was the one that ordered it Muahahahahahaha!! I HAVE POSSESSION!!!

Anyone wants to know his "so-called" secret weapon heeheheehee!!!!

On second thought, IT IS MY SECRET WEAPON until you pay me :P MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

aaronng
21-08-2006, 02:39 PM
DAMMIT!!!!! It's going to be a 2nd hand secret weapon.... So it's not secret anymore... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooo.......................... ..

curik
21-08-2006, 04:57 PM
supercharged cat?

aaronng
21-08-2006, 05:58 PM
I prefer it over supercharging. :)

sodaz
21-08-2006, 06:39 PM
muahahaha