PDA

View Full Version : thermostat changed...now needle sits?

quang
17-08-2006, 10:23 PM
just a quick one, do i need to remove the coolant drain bolt when changing the radiator coolant cause i'm going to change my thermostat. oh and any other tips to help out would be good as well.
thanks

Thanks guys for your help, everything is done, now all i need to know is where abouts the needle in a vtir sits.
My needle sits covering the little squiggle on the temp symbol and doesn't move much above or below is that the correct spot? so far i've only driven the car once for about 20mins during the day.

destrukshn
17-08-2006, 10:30 PM
there is a plug at the bottom of the radiator, it's plastic, unscrew it, and coolant will come out, if you go under the car, you will see a opneing and you can see the plug there, it is recommended you also change that seal on it as well.

NOTE: do it when the car is warm, so the termostat is still open, and will drain most of the coolant out, also, if you can, take off the radiator cap, to release the pressure.
=)

Paul1985
17-08-2006, 10:39 PM
you should reverse flush the whole system aswell, not just change the fluid.
you have to remove the cap or it wont drain..

edit, the reason it wont is because its pressurised.. Its the same as when you cover the end of your straw in your drink and lift it out and the drink stays in the straw :D

quang
18-08-2006, 12:39 PM
cool thanks guys. also in regards to what destrukshn said what type of sealant should i use for the bleed valve on the bottom of the radiator or is it something i just have to replace?

Spunkymonkey
18-08-2006, 01:20 PM
he's referring to the small seal that is on the valve, which you should be able to get at any parts place. Also remember to ensure your engine is cold before you refill with coolant after you have drained.

destrukshn
18-08-2006, 05:51 PM
cool thanks guys. also in regards to what destrukshn said what type of sealant should i use for the bleed valve on the bottom of the radiator or is it something i just have to replace?
it's an O-ring.
but.. i have removed it and plenty of times using the same seal.. and no leaks, but it's still recommended to.

Nuttz
20-08-2006, 10:13 PM
so what about the coolant drain bolt on the engine block? does anyone take that one off??

I took it off the last time i changed the coolant. It was a bitch to take off too. Maybe a good flushing could have sufficed

destrukshn
20-08-2006, 10:18 PM
so what about the coolant drain bolt on the engine block? does anyone take that one off??

I took it off the last time i changed the coolant. It was a bitch to take off too. Maybe a good flushing could have sufficed
you can, but don't have to.

another way, is disconnecting your heater hoses.

quang
21-08-2006, 06:43 PM
i didn't bother with the drain bolt, anyways can anyone answer the red stuff on the very first post or where is the needle supposed to sit on a vtir civic's mine is currently sitting just alittle above and below or on half way

Paul1985
21-08-2006, 09:29 PM
im not sure what you mean?
your temp gauge should read cold until it warms up (prob about 5-10mins i reckon).
Then once warmed up it should be a little above the cold part, anywhere in the normal range.. When its heading to the top of that range and into hot, thats bad.

quang
21-08-2006, 10:44 PM
sorry i mean where should the needle be sitting after the car is warmed up, the needle stops moving when it covers the bottom of the temp symbol.

aaronng
21-08-2006, 11:39 PM
sorry i mean where should the needle be sitting after the car is warmed up, the needle stops moving when it covers the bottom of the temp symbol.
It's meant to be around the middle. Usually slightly (1-2mm) towards the Low side.

quang
23-08-2006, 11:52 AM
thanks guys all good, now my car is running better and warming up much more faster and holding temp rather than before where it was fluctuating all over the place.