PDA

View Full Version : prelude semi auto or manual?

cool_filo
18-08-2006, 11:01 AM
hi guys im about to get a prelude semi auto vtir, just wondering, how would you rate a vtir manual over a vtir semi auto, performance, fuel economy, is other vtec better than the other, can both (stock) pull up the same power etc etc??? i currently have a gsi teg manual, and want to experience some vtec kickin in yo! cheers

martin
18-08-2006, 11:18 AM
well if your after vtec kicking in then manuals the way to go its pointless if u have automatic vtec...you wuld onli want auto if it wus a day to day cruisy car..buh at the end of the day if your after the pull off the vtec manuals the way

aaronng
18-08-2006, 11:20 AM
If you can drive manual, then get a manual prelude.

jdm_kid
18-08-2006, 11:21 AM
semi auto = sequential shift ? is that what ur referring to cool_filo ?

i would go for sequential shift, as there is no clutch and if ur lazy switch to auto mode, but imagine sequential shifting in a boosted h22a prelude huh ? sex !!

cool_filo
18-08-2006, 11:34 AM
hahah yeh im referring to semi auto = sequential shift, reason being is because im about to swap my gsi teg plus 3k for a semi auto prelude vtir, im still thinkin about it though... sounds like a good deal though, wat do you guys think ?

jdm_kid
18-08-2006, 11:37 AM
im assuming 5th Gen Prelude ?

gReY-oNe
18-08-2006, 11:43 AM
hahah yeh im referring to semi auto = sequential shift, reason being is because im about to swap my gsi teg plus 3k for a semi auto prelude vtir, im still thinkin about it though... sounds like a good deal though, wat do you guys think ?

ummm wat yr model is it and check for gearbox problems as they are well known not every auto prelude would have gear problems so dw

though 3 grand on top is a good deal for a 5th gen how many kms has it done??

cool_filo
18-08-2006, 11:43 AM
i think it is lol its 97 model, i dont know much about em so yeah

im assuming 5th Gen Prelude ?

jdm_kid
18-08-2006, 11:45 AM
i go for it, but check out the car 1st and stuff, and make sure ur happy with the condition, kms, etc etc :)

cool_filo
18-08-2006, 11:45 AM
ummm wat yr model is it and check for gearbox problems as they are well known not every auto prelude would have gear problems so dw

though 3 grand on top is a good deal for a 5th gen how many kms has it done??

150,000 km here is the link if you want to see

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=3197804&current_rec=15&used_rec=2&total_rec=20&sort_type=&total_rec=20&sort_type=&search_distance=25&search_postcode=2093&make_id=19&model_id=150&price_max=15000&state_id=2

gReY-oNe
18-08-2006, 11:47 AM
i think it is lol its 97 model, i dont know much about em so yeah

97 is a 5th gen prelude like myn *jumps*

well seriously umm check out for gear box problems have u takin it for a drive???
see if the gears shift smoothly

if they do and everythings well ur gettin a great deal

gReY-oNe
18-08-2006, 11:51 AM
the car looks very clean correct me if im rong someone but most the gear boxes die out at around the 100000kms range i sed AROUND lol

cos wen i was lookin for my car i noticed a couple with bodgy gear boxes at around those kms

btw y dont u buy my car for 700 bucks more and 30000kms less lmao :D

jdm_kid
18-08-2006, 11:58 AM
how come ur swaping cars and cash on top ?
i tho the guy is buying a bike as listed in his ad on carsales ?

cool_filo
18-08-2006, 11:59 AM
would you consider swapping your prelude to my gsi teg plus some cash?? hahah, id love to have a prelude =) wat prelude do u drive anyways? u sellin it in carsales too??

the car looks very clean correct me if im rong someone but most the gear boxes die out at around the 100000kms range i sed AROUND lol

cos wen i was lookin for my car i noticed a couple with bodgy gear boxes at around those kms

btw y dont u buy my car for 700 bucks more and 30000kms less lmao :D

cool_filo
18-08-2006, 12:02 PM
yeh i kno lol, but i think he needs some cash to buy a bike, plus his prelude is a vtir and my car is a gsi :p considering its a semi auto as well, that add more value to his car, if it was manual, i woulnt hesitate to to trade

how come ur swaping cars and cash on top ?
i tho the guy is buying a bike as listed in his ad on carsales ?

jdm_kid
18-08-2006, 12:03 PM
thats grey-one's h22a beast

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar4187_9.gif

gReY-oNe
18-08-2006, 12:04 PM
pm sent*
dont wonna go off topic LMAO

but i still think thats a reasonable price u can ask the guy if u can take the car for an inspection bring it to your trusted mech

gReY-oNe
18-08-2006, 12:05 PM
thats grey-one's h22a beast

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar4187_9.gif

LOL thats not my car -___________________- just looks the same US spec :P

cool_filo
18-08-2006, 12:16 PM
full log books nd all, i think that car is in good shape,he want someone to get my car checked first before we do the swap, if anything goes wrong with the gear box in the future how much roughly does it cost to get it fixed??any rough idea?

pm sent*
dont wonna go off topic LMAO

but i still think thats a reasonable price u can ask the guy if u can take the car for an inspection bring it to your trusted mech

jdm_kid
18-08-2006, 12:20 PM
usually about 1.5k to fix a normal manual gearbox, but for sequential shift gearbox i totally dont know ... could be double ?

cool_filo
18-08-2006, 12:24 PM
thats what i was thinking ><

gReY-oNe
18-08-2006, 12:30 PM
full log books nd all, i think that car is in good shape,he want someone to get my car checked first before we do the swap, if anything goes wrong with the gear box in the future how much roughly does it cost to get it fixed??any rough idea?

LOL if sumfing goes rong
im sure teh manual conversion will cost less LOL
my mums old accord needed a recon on her gear box it was like 1.5 -____-
but tips is about 2.5

cool_filo
18-08-2006, 12:35 PM
never thought of converting it to manual!! damn im such a noob lol, maybe need to eat some breaky hahah, ill definitely change it to manual as soon as the tiptronic fcuks up lol, thats cheaper way of doin it nd plus id prefer manual anyway:D

edit: its actually lunch now lol ><

LOL if sumfing goes rong
im sure teh manual conversion will cost less LOL
my mums old accord needed a recon on her gear box it was like 1.5 -____-
but tips is about 2.5

CUL8R
18-08-2006, 01:20 PM
dont go auto if u can drive manual....it has problems written all over it

pay us a visit at
www.preludeaustralia.com

check out the 5th gen section and then the sportshift complaints forum....if ur gonna drive hard and want to experiance the car manual should be the only one on ur mind

cool_filo
18-08-2006, 01:59 PM
the site has no post in the forum u gave me?? maybe i need to be a member?

edit:also are you just referring to auto that are havin lots of trouble or SEMI AUTO as well??

dont go auto if u can drive manual....it has problems written all over it

pay us a visit at
www.preludeaustralia.com

check out the 5th gen section and then the sportshift complaints forum....if ur gonna drive hard and want to experiance the car manual should be the only one on ur mind

NeRV
18-08-2006, 02:30 PM
get a manual.

Menthu Rae
18-08-2006, 03:03 PM
I own an '01 VTi-R 'lude and I'm on the Northern Beaches up at Palm Beach, so if you need a hand inspecting any cars around the area or want any more info just give me a shout.

Now to the gearbox stuff...

the site has no post in the forum u gave me?? maybe i need to be a member?

edit:also are you just referring to auto that are havin lots of trouble or SEMI AUTO as well??

How did this thread turn into 3 pages of CRAP. :eek: Listen to CUL8R. :cool:

The **5th Gen*** Preludes with **Tiptronic** (yes, that means AUTO AND SPORTSHIFT, because they are the SAME) have mega problems.

If you buy one with high kms (>100,000), then budget around $4 grand to get the transmission fixed at some stage. :zip:

I highly suggest you get a manual. Also, look out for oil consumption - check the oil levels when you buy the car, check for blue smoke on COLD startup... :thumbdwn:

Try to buy a 99+ model if you can, as these have recified some issues with the suspenion and various other bits and pieces around the car, they also have a higher power rating from factory (4kW more, not that it means much...) :angel:

CUL8R
18-08-2006, 08:35 PM
^^^ respect!

every word spoken there is 100% true.

and yes u prob should become a member, specially if u wanna get a lude, join our family lol.
just dont ask this same question as soon as u join coz no one will answer coz its been asked like alot lately

cool_filo
18-08-2006, 11:07 PM
thanks for the info guys! much appreciated =) ill keep those things in mind, cheers :thumbsup:

Fo55il
22-08-2006, 04:11 AM
My friend got one - MMm 2 months later Boom - gearbox ***ed up nicely !!!!

it was dat trip tronic gearbox !!!

GO manual !!!

trust.
31-08-2006, 02:14 AM
manuals the way to go.. =D enjoy the vtec grunt !! ^^