PDA

View Full Version : Anti squat

spetz
19-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Anything to do to the car to stop it from squating without stiffening rear springs?

kinda like an anti lift kid but different?

iced
19-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Anything to do to the car to stop it from squating without stiffening rear springs?

dont think so mate.
you kind of answered your own question

T-onedc2
20-08-2006, 08:50 AM

I'd start with stiffer shocks, but if the springs are stock then it'd be wise to fit some progressives which will remain quite compliant.

joyride
20-08-2006, 09:50 AM
anti lift kit? i know whiteline make them for subaru but for other makes?

spetz
20-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Yeah sorry car is a lancer not honda
And there is an anti lift kit for my car available

The car has heaps of lift and squat? It never used to be that bad with the fulcrum coilovers, I got the Tein SS now and even in higher gears (2nd, a little bit in 3rd) squat is noticable. Car has 200hp but never had that problem before

Seems like the Tein SS when the damper is adjusted, it mostly adjusts rebound and not bump so much?
Springs rates are 5/4 kg
Which is higher than the fulcrums I had
But damper rates are softer that the fulcrums

CTR Coupe
22-08-2006, 05:08 AM
Maybe talk to the guys over at the whiteline forum.
http://www.suspensionparts.info/

Muzz
01-11-2006, 01:31 AM
anti lift and anti squat only work on the driven wheels, so there is no way to stop rear droop without changing suspension stiffness in the rear for your lancer.

BRU51N
02-11-2006, 12:18 PM
anti lift kit is what your talking about, however i find they dont do shit, so no matter what someone tells you how good it is, dont believe them, biggest waste of money. i learnt the hard way :)

Muzz
02-11-2006, 08:21 PM
i find they dont do shit.

thats your opionion, which is fine. but plenty of people get excelent results from anti lift kits and the thoery behind them is proven. Maby the kit u used didnt change the angle of the LCAs swing axis enough to make a significant difference? but that dosnt mean its the same result for different kits and different cars. May i ask what kind of car, and the brand of the kit?

no matter what someone tells you how good it is, dont believe them, biggest waste of money.

hmm i dont believe you could make that comment with any conviction, from sampling one type of kit on one type of car??
also the effectiveness of the kit relys on the power being put through the wheels running anti lift or anti droop. itll make a way bigger difference on a 600hp drag car than say a stock s13.

BRU51N
07-11-2006, 01:18 PM
thats your opionion, which is fine. but plenty of people get excelent results from anti lift kits and the thoery behind them is proven. Maby the kit u used didnt change the angle of the LCAs swing axis enough to make a significant difference? but that dosnt mean its the same result for different kits and different cars. May i ask what kind of car, and the brand of the kit?

hmm i dont believe you could make that comment with any conviction, from sampling one type of kit on one type of car??
also the effectiveness of the kit relys on the power being put through the wheels running anti lift or anti droop. itll make a way bigger difference on a 600hp drag car than say a stock s13.

wrx, whiteline, around 200kw atw

spetz
07-11-2006, 08:05 PM
That's AWD
Might see better benefits in FWD where lift (weight transfer) kills traction

Muzz
09-11-2006, 04:25 PM
wrx, whiteline, around 200kw atw

thats a pity, ud expect to see a decent difference from a whiteline product, and its not like ur lacking in power. do u find the nose lifts less at all under hard acceleration, even slightly, or theres absolutly no noticible change in lift?

In my opionion, which i must say may be completly crap:p, itd be hard to get much change in the angle of the front LCA (leaning forward or back) using an aftermarket product, cus it would change the geometry alot. I think its more somthing that needs to be incorperated into the suspension design by the car designer, using a kit will only provide a small difference.

Muzz
09-11-2006, 04:32 PM
That's AWD
Might see better benefits in FWD where lift (weight transfer) kills traction

What i find really weird is there dosnt seem to be absolutly any anti lift products out there for our FWD cars, seems really strange to me.

spetz
12-11-2006, 03:58 PM
That's because antilift is just more castor
And with macpherson setup it's as easy as moving the top of the shock backwards or tilting the lower front control arm more at the rear

Muzz
13-11-2006, 01:29 AM
That's because antilift is just more castor
And with macpherson setup it's as easy as moving the top of the shock backwards or tilting the lower front control arm more at the rear

please correct me if im wrong, but i dont believe thats correct there, caster and anti lift are completly seperate things. You can run lots of caster with no anti lift and vice verser.

Your totally right there about increasing caster, its done by changing the settings so that the axis that the steering pivots on tilts backwards. As im sure u know, it works in that when you turn the steering, the wheels lean slightly into the corner. Anti lift it is adjusted by altering the angle of the LCA pivot axis up or down

theres no way i could even try explaining anti lift/droop without a pic, so here it is.
pic 1= no AL no caster, Pic 2= no AL with caster, 3=AL with no caster, 4=AL and caster
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m263/muzz1987/kjhkhj.jpg
Red = LCA
Green = axis of steering
yellow = end of lca where ball joint is located
thin line = path that yellow point follows when suspension extends and comppresses

as you can see, with no AL in 1&2 as the suspension is extended the ball joint moves straight down (following the thin line), but in 3&4 as the suspension is extended the balljoint moves downward and rearward.

in hard acceleration there is a large force acting on the yellow point, pushing it forwards (to the left in the pic). with anti lift, that force also causes the yellow point to want to move upwards, resisting the suspension from extending (anti lift).

this works in the opposite way too. When braking, the force on the yellow point pushes it rearwards, but the path the yellow point follows creates a downward force on it aswell, causing the point to push downwards which in turn pushes the body up (anti droop).