PDA

View Full Version : Difficulties getting in Reverse Gear

Poeter
19-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey guys,

I've been driving my jazz for about 1.5 yrs now and it's manual.

When i use to change to Reverse, it was always easy.

Recently, 3 out of 10 times i couldn't get into Reverse unless i shift to 1st and then reverse.

I'm thinking if it's my fault for accidently grinding my gears in R 3 weeks ago. I think i've accidently left the gear half way into R and then released the clutch for a spec of second while my car is stationary.

Would it be likely that i've bent a gear tooth?
Even if I did, would reversing be jerky ride? At the moment, when i've at least shift into R properly, it still accelerates smoothly.

marte
19-08-2006, 09:46 PM
bearings mybee

czy_sol87
19-08-2006, 11:24 PM
isnt this normal, my crx does the same sometimes, something to do with syncros, if u cant get it in R either put it back into 1st or release the clutch then try again

Vinnie
19-08-2006, 11:30 PM
i think theres sum sort of protection there to make sure u cant go 5th to reverse so it is harder to get into but i have the same problem with my accord. half the time it jus doesent go but wen i put it back in neutral release the clutch and try again it work fine. incidently, if ive only been running the car for a couple of mins then i sumtimes have the same prob downshifting into first. after a bit of running it all gets smoother tho... im not sure if its the same for a newer car tho or if uve actually damaged sumthing but i jus live with mine :)

mrwillz
19-08-2006, 11:34 PM
isnt it sumfing like the reverve gear having str8 synchros
u either haf to b 100% stationary or get into gear 1 then try reverse or gear 3 then reverse

and it seems as a common prob in civic/crx

marte
19-08-2006, 11:46 PM
nah its the fact that they can't get it into reverse. if u try to put it into reverse while ur cars moving foward, ur gears crunch.

civic_mods
20-08-2006, 01:00 AM
nearly 99% of Honda i have driven are like that
it's common,even seems like it's not a problem for me at all becos all of the Hondas' are like this
my EK/DC2,fd's fews EK,EG all are like that

tRipitaka
20-08-2006, 01:02 AM
yep.. it's a common problem with hondas..

just go into first, then reverse..

Menthu Rae
20-08-2006, 01:06 AM
Also have this "problem" with my Prelude... I believe it's due to the way the gears are cut (straight?). Roll forward/back a little bit (in 1st), or select another gear before putting it into reverse.

blk_shadow
20-08-2006, 02:21 AM
yeah, it's not only hondas, I used to have suzuki, Isuzu (toyota sometimes). they are doing this when u put in reverse.

aaronng
20-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Hondas don't have synchros for the reverse gear (some European cars do however). Plus, the reverse gear is a straight cut gear (i.e. dog tooth). Being a straight cut, it is noisier, but it is also tougher, so I doubt that your grind would have bent. Have a look at a pic of the forward gears and the reverse gears. The reverse gear teeth are very thick.

In my car, the same thing happens, I can't get into reverse. It's because of being thick straight cut gears that you can easily get a tooth-on-tooth situation. The forward gears are helical and get into gear very easily because of the slanted gear shape. When you can't get it into reverse, you put it into some other gear, the transmission shifts a little when you get into that forward gear, thus realigning the reverse gear so that you can get into it without a tooth-on-tooth situation.

mrwillz
20-08-2006, 11:42 AM
ok very detailed info there
sounds good to me..
+rep for u

Poeter
20-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Ahh Thanks, i guess that sorta makes sense now.

I was worried that i caused serious damage to my gearbox.

But it sucks to have this problem. Funny enough that this wasn't so apparent when my car was newer.

I'm also surprised that this would happen to an accord euro too

nugget666
20-08-2006, 01:12 PM
I think its just to dodgey honda boxes.

my car is hte same. i just go 1st 3rd 5th and hten it goes in

mrwillz
20-08-2006, 01:26 PM
i do wot u do adam!
until i feel it solidly go into gear or jus keep trying lol

Elwood
20-08-2006, 07:32 PM
it is a tad annoying though..

nugget666
21-08-2006, 06:22 PM
i do wot u do adam!
until i feel it solidly go into gear or jus keep trying lol

I have tryed the take clutch out and put back in then try it again method.

that works 2nd time everytime.

sassy_fit_vtit
21-08-2006, 06:24 PM
i have the same problem with my jazz, ill put it into reverse but it doesnt go al the way in even if i try to force it in, i have to go back to neutral and then back into reverse... *ghey*

misteR_bilzz
21-08-2006, 06:45 PM
This is NOT a problem..
its just that reverse is a straight cut gear that doesn't have syncos.. happens in most cars all u do is put it into 1st pull ur clutch out a lil and and then put it into reverse OR put it into 3rd without clutch release and back into reverse and it will work.. simple!

mj3610
02-09-2006, 02:02 PM
This is NOT a problem..
its just that reverse is a straight cut gear that doesn't have syncos.. happens in most cars all u do is put it into 1st pull ur clutch out a lil and and then put it into reverse OR put it into 3rd without clutch release and back into reverse and it will work.. simple!
+rep for u :)
hes right