PDA

View Full Version : very uneven left and right camber>>?

MRH-22A
20-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Even since an accident i had, the car is always pulling to the left. The car spun 360 and the front left wheel hit the gutter very hard.
Anyways... i got the left knuckle replaced and left lower control arm and was able to drive again.
But then realised the steering wheel wont turn all the way to the right so i got the rear cross member replaced.
Then... the mechanic noticed the right lower control arm was a lil bent so got that replaced.
Got a wheel alignment and balancing done and it shows the left camber is -0.58 and right camber is -2.12... which the mechanics think is the reason that the car is still pulling to the left.
The mechanics said to get a camber kit to patch up the problem. What else needs to be replaced to get it right again???

aznpsuazn
20-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Is that abnormal?
Im quite sure there is a natural variance of 1-2degrees between the left and right camber. This is to compensate for the angle of 90% of roads which have a slight tilt on them to allow for rain runoff.
in a straight line on a flat surface, i doubt such a slight variance of camber could induce the car to behave the way it does. I would think that the only time this could happen is if one side of the car has a difference of 10degrees (very rare), causing those tyres to have less contact on the road. That would then mean the opposite side would have more traction and thus causing the erratic steering.

destrukshn
20-08-2006, 11:10 PM
your strut/shock could be bent.
or in worse case scenario strut tower.

aznpsuazn
20-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Nowhere did you mentioned you replaced your left front wheel which took the brunt of the impact.

destrukshn
20-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Nowhere did you mentioned you replaced your left front wheel which took the brunt of the impact.
yes BUT, his steering wheel would vibrate if it was buckled that much.

MRH-22A
21-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Sorry i didnt make it completely clear...

The wheel that smacked the gutter is buckled big time... So im wearing my stockies atm which have been balanced and does not vibrate when driving.

Also the shocks have also been replaced with tein ss which eliminates the bent shocks theory.

What are strut towers???

And if a camber kit isnt a good option... then what is???

destrukshn
21-08-2006, 07:47 PM
strut towers, where your shock bolts up to at the top.
if a camber kit fixes it, get it
lol.
if that's the cheapest option, the get it, i would.

MRH-22A
21-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Okay... now that i know wat strut towers are, im thinking that the left strut tower must definately be the problem.
The left side camber is onli -0.58 where it shuld be more like -2 cuz of it being lowered.. so when i hit the gutter the strut tower must bent inwards causing the camber to become more positive.

So how do i fix this bent strut tower???

I'll keep the camber kit in mind as the last option.

destrukshn
21-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Okay... now that i know wat strut towers are, im thinking that the left strut tower must definately be the problem.
The left side camber is onli -0.58 where it shuld be more like -2 cuz of it being lowered.. so when i hit the gutter the strut tower must bent inwards causing the camber to become more positive.

So how do i fix this bent strut tower???

I'll keep the camber kit in mind as the last option.
get it pulled straight, go to a panel beater, and they should be able to tell you.
=)

bigjo5
21-08-2006, 10:28 PM
shuld check ur lower control arm usually when pplz hit kerbs/gutter they usually bend abit..

Fudo_BoB
22-08-2006, 05:18 PM
i did something simliar in my civic.....only i hit the left rear tire aswell and it bent the lower control arm...

as for the front strut tower..hav a lo0ok at the two bolts underneath the bonnet that connect the the strut to the actual chassis....mine had been moved because you could see the unpainted area beside the bolts where it had previously been....

MRH-22A
22-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Okai i called up a smash repair shop today and they got that machine. I explained to him wat happened and he said its most likely the bent strut tower too. They told me its gona cost me easily atleast $800.

destrukshn
22-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Okai i called up a smash repair shop today and they got that machine. I explained to him wat happened and he said its most likely the bent strut tower too. They told me its gona cost me easily atleast $800.
yeah, it's not exactly hard for them to do, it's just time consuming.

Lex_EG93
22-08-2006, 10:11 PM
how much do camber kits cost? (for and EG) and is it easy to install? if not then how much for installation?