PDA

View Full Version : Castor Adjustment

Twincam16
20-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Ok, so the insides of my tyres are wearing down like crazy because of the fkn stupid hatchi-roku camber my delsol has at the moment from being dumped on superlow king springs.

One way ive though of correcting this is by getting a set of coilovers, adjusting the height slightly at front, and then raising the Castor angle on the front wheels for constant camber.

1 - Has anybody tried this on their EG's? How is it done, what is needed>>>?
2 - EG2 are compatible with any other EG Civic (EG6 etc) Coilovers as long as DC2 rear LCA is used???

EG5[KRT]
21-08-2006, 12:31 AM
u need a camber kit .. not castor... u only get camber when turning with castor kits...

basically u get a whole new upper control arm to control the amount of camber you want..

SLOWEGG
21-08-2006, 12:58 AM
Do all civics (EG EK) have the same upper control arm..

Twincam16
22-08-2006, 07:57 PM
']u need a camber kit .. not castor... u only get camber when turning with castor kits...

basically u get a whole new upper control arm to control the amount of camber you want..

Thats my whole point, Camber isnt good for daily driving, it wears the tyres down a lot quicker than normal & un-evenly. I want camber to "switch-on" with my steering in motion, which is castor. This way, when im driving in a straight line, My wheels are upright, and not at -2" like they would in current state.

I dont want camber kit, I want to increase my static camber by installing a castor kit... Or adjusting it if possible, but im unsure how this is done without pillow ball tops.

Can anybody help me out with this? Would it be adjusting control arms or steering arms? Thanks!

sivic
23-08-2006, 12:56 PM
man, a castor kit wont change your "static" camber. it'll just increase you castor while maintaining the same camber. you'll need a camber kit.
but still get a castor kit as they help so much with steering and stopping. by increasing your castor you will still achieve some camber while steering is turned. however, it wont be to the same extent you see on RWD as FWD are limited by the angle the drive shafts can achieve.
from personal experience installing just a castor kit does stuff all to camber.

DLO01
23-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Thats right Claymore, sivic & eg5

Twincam: Getting Coilovers and changing your Castor is not going to slove your problems. If you are going to stay low you need a camber kit.

Sure, if you get coilovers and raise it, you won't need a camber kit.

EG5[KRT]
25-08-2006, 02:23 AM
Thats my whole point, Camber isnt good for daily driving, it wears the tyres down a lot quicker than normal & un-evenly. I want camber to "switch-on" with my steering in motion, which is castor. This way, when im driving in a straight line, My wheels are upright, and not at -2" like they would in current state.

I dont want camber kit, I want to increase my static camber by installing a castor kit... Or adjusting it if possible, but im unsure how this is done without pillow ball tops.

Can anybody help me out with this? Would it be adjusting control arms or steering arms? Thanks!

with the whiteline kit .. its a matter of taking shims out to lower the angle of castor or putting more shims in to make the angle higher...

the kit is for your front lower control arms.. u need to take out the lower control arm,press one of the bolts out coz its pressed in.. then fit the castor shims and the new bolts.

i does help with dynamic camber but u will only notice it on the track ... otherwise on the street its not really a worthwhile mod because you dont really notice it...

but to fix up your tyre wear issue just get a camber kit... coz once your tyres start wearing like that it just gets worse faster...

iamhappy46
27-08-2006, 03:14 AM
There is also a ratchet style lower control arm, where the lower ball joint is adjusted for camber correction/adjustment.

Twincam16
27-08-2006, 04:51 AM
Finding another problem also, the inside of the tyre rubs against inside walls of wheel well... wearing it down rapidly.

Should spacers do the trick?

sivic
27-08-2006, 11:49 AM
maybe but then you risk the wheels hanging out from the car which is then illegal.
sort your camber out first and you might find that will fix the problem.
what size, width and off set are your wheels?

iced
27-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Finding another problem also, the inside of the tyre rubs against inside walls of wheel well... wearing it down rapidly.

Should spacers do the trick?

what offset are the wheels.
eg. +40 +45 etc.

string
01-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Camber kits are an abomination. God only knows how what you're doing to your perfectly well engineered suspension setup by pulling your hubs upright when they shouldn't be.

If you're camber is too negative, (talking consderably more than -2degrees here), raise your ****ing car. You won't be able to push much more than maybe 4-5 degrees of castor before you seriously start to affect your bumpsteer towards it negatively offsetting the benefits of the castor. That is unless of course you like having a darty spin-dameon, in which case, proceed :D