PDA

View Full Version : pros&cons mildsteel vs s/s headers

ToFuBoi
21-08-2006, 12:40 PM
what are the pros and cons of each of these besides the bling bling factor?

will milld steel rust etc? strength of the actual material?

anything help appreciated cheers, rob

ToFuBoi
21-08-2006, 12:49 PM
also im deciding between 4-2 mild steel vs the 4-1 jdm itr... wondering if the 4-1 would 'scream' more then the mild steel 4-2 (edelbrock) or isit all the same stuff

Zdster
21-08-2006, 12:52 PM
One of the major differences will be cost. Durability will also be an issue.

ToFuBoi
21-08-2006, 01:43 PM
which one will last longer? the s/s?

Zdster
21-08-2006, 01:52 PM
which one will last longer? the s/s?

Yep, should do.

Limbo
21-08-2006, 05:37 PM
S/S is dense and actually more heavy than the same size in mild steel.
The difference is that SS is actually able to be made thin so that it is lighter than the same set of headers in mild steel.

Due to the thinness of stainless steel exhausts you sometimes get a tinning noise.

SS should be more durable and will not rust and be lighter, but it will be noiser, and thinner so if you hit your headers on the gutter they are gone!

Also SS is harder to mould so adds to the costs.

Mild steel is cheaper, more resistance to bumps on speed humps, but are heavier and can rust if not properly sprayed/coated.

P.S SS is brittle so it will crack and split rather than bend. Mild steel is more bendable.

civicCXI
21-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Would mild steel + ceramic coating be cheaper than SS? If it is, then it would be my choice

ToFuBoi
22-08-2006, 02:48 PM
thanks for that limbo that helped alot!! i like the sound of mild then because im planning on dropping it pretty low soon.. anyways with coating it can i spray vht engine enamel paint on it and just heat wrap it? would spraying it black compared to say white be different? as we know black attracts more heat or something like that

cheers, rob

civicCXI
22-08-2006, 05:17 PM
I dun really think it would make noticeable difference.

luzinit
22-08-2006, 05:21 PM
I was told by Hakan at performance exhausts that mild steel will last 5-7 years, s/s will last for the life of the car. So its a matter of looks and cost imo, I'd prefer a s/s header myself, looks nicer in the engine bay, but for piping, mild steel is just as good

dsp26
22-08-2006, 07:51 PM
mild steel + thermal wrap is cheaper and far bigger bang for buck just don't wrap too tight. this is assuming manifold design is the EXACT same wether mild/SS.

and yeah good stuff limbo, i didn't really know too much of those metal properties.

ToFuBoi: get a proper temp paint that will stick to the header prior to wrap obviously as this will eliminate rusting from the wrap absorbing splash water. unless theres high temp rust coat which i've never heard of

Twincam16
22-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Mild steel = rust
SS = rust (with neglecting)

Even though SS is thinner in some cases that Mild Steel, it will always be stronger, have better properties and last longer that mild steel.

NEVER EVER GET A MILD STEEL EXHAUST ON A LOWERED CAR! EVER!

ToFuBoi
23-08-2006, 02:56 AM
cheers guys *thumbs up to all*

Limbo
26-08-2006, 06:18 PM
yeah i been spending too much time with Hakan and another welder who works with SS.

Cos i keep asking them to make unusual stuff for my car they started telling me the differences, hope it helps you guys out.

P.S the colur of the paint is not gonna affect it, its a choice, i picked a dark grey which looks like the ceramic coating just abit of bling ;)

simbadda54
26-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Race nation are selling xforce headers for a pretty good price, both for 4-2-1 and 4-1's are pretty much the same price with them

notorious_ahmie
26-08-2006, 10:16 PM
u cant compare xforce headers to the jdm 4-1

with the jdm itr 4-1 header it is quality..wen i put it on my car..results where very good..gotta remember wiith 4-1 headers is more for top end whilst the 4-2-1 is better for bottom-mid end

Limbo
26-08-2006, 10:27 PM
errr... you guys going off track?

But i have to agree the 4-1 JDM headers are much better than most aftermarket headers. (I've wrapped mine also)

THE_MASS
28-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Mild steel = rust
SS = rust (with neglecting)

NEVER EVER GET A MILD STEEL EXHAUST ON A LOWERED CAR! EVER!

whats wrong with getting mild steel headers on a lowered car:confused: ??

dsp26
29-08-2006, 10:34 AM
^^^ i agree. mild steel will dent. SS will crack.

its the reason i went mild steel with this car. my previous turbo car had SS and was lowered with cut springs (stupid) and cracked/shattered during impact on ground.

Twincam16
29-08-2006, 10:27 PM
whats wrong with getting mild steel headers on a lowered car:confused: ??

Exhaust, not headers...

Anyway, why bother with the small price difference for lower quality material...