PDA

View Full Version : Lsd

Kiz_EG6
21-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Hey everyone.

I was watching this mad DVD at a mates the otha day, and they didn't shut up bout LSD's, even on FWD hondas...

Anyway, question is, has anyone retrofitted an LSD to their honda and how effective are they, plus anywhere that does it, or any good A/M brands that i should look out 4??

SiR JDM
21-08-2006, 06:25 PM
I know a few guys that have fitted the slip dif to their standard non lsd boxes.

Quaife would have to be up there with the best brands for am LSDs. The only people i know that have LSD are those that are serious about track use, or guys with fat wallets and who love to 'mod' for street credit y0!

If your car is predominatly street use, I wouldn't find a limited slip differential to be of great use, especially for the price it will cost.
Including parts and labour, you would be looking at costs in exess of $1k to retro fit an LSD.

string
21-08-2006, 09:59 PM
OP: LSD's were optional on pretty much all the vtec motors, with it being a standard on the type-rs.

No one says no to traction :D

T-onedc2
21-08-2006, 10:12 PM
OP: LSD's were optional on pretty much all the vtec motors, with it being a standard on the type-rs.

That's the first I've heard about that and I'd say that's simply not correct unless you could quote a reputable source.
p.s. not flaming you, just doesn't sound right.:)

EG5[KRT]
21-08-2006, 10:44 PM
id have to agree with t one dc2 ...

because i def know that vtir civics didnt have lsd as an option....

and neither do vtir integras ...

bevis90
21-08-2006, 10:45 PM
where is the lsd located on the ek1 sedans

sry but dis is noob question

T-onedc2
21-08-2006, 10:50 PM
where is the lsd located on the ek1 sedans

sry but dis is noob question
It's not located anywhere, AFAIK the EK CTR, DC2 & DC5 ITR's are the only front wheel drive Honda's to have factory LSD.

EG5[KRT]
21-08-2006, 10:52 PM
some eg6 SIR II did have LSD... i think the later model ones

Felix
21-08-2006, 11:04 PM

It was NEVER an option on a DC2 VTIR

aaronng
21-08-2006, 11:49 PM
It's not located anywhere, AFAIK the EK CTR, DC2 & DC5 ITR's are the only front wheel drive Honda's to have factory LSD.
EP3 CTR and CL7 EuroR have LSD as standard as well.

string
21-08-2006, 11:58 PM
You guys all missed the point of my post. Put down your pedantic wand for one second and i'll explain to you what was meant...

The OP's post implies that he has never heard of LSD in honda fwd's, my post was to inform him that honda fitted it to many of their engines.

Obviously we are talking about the performance motors here, none of this 1.5litre vtec business. An OEM LSD was an option on the JDM DC2 Integra Si-R, DA Integra XSi, EK4 and EG6 civics.

Just because our shores got shafted on the options, doesn't mean they didn't exist, hence, my final point, that they were far more common than you think, so "retro-fitting" is not really an appropriate word. Rather, "fitting". :D

[[d a n n y]]
22-08-2006, 02:25 AM
all ( nearly all) JP models with DOHC VTEC had the LSD option..
EK4/EG6/9/ DC2 SIR etc
LSD/ TCS/ ABS was all factory option.
i can guarentee this as my last half cut i bought had TCS/ABS etc and it was a 93 model EG6

Kiz_EG6
23-08-2006, 08:33 PM
my car is a grey eg5, with a b16a + g/box from an eg6, jap spec and it doesn't have an LSD, so i'm guessing that they were not all optioned with this!!

Can anyone clarify for me the difference between a viscous LSD and a normal one. Are vicous ones the only one that suits a FWD... i still don't understand the details of how a FWD LSD works?!

aaronng
23-08-2006, 09:31 PM
my car is a grey eg5, with a b16a + g/box from an eg6, jap spec and it doesn't have an LSD, so i'm guessing that they were not all optioned with this!!

Can anyone clarify for me the difference between a viscous LSD and a normal one. Are vicous ones the only one that suits a FWD... i still don't understand the details of how a FWD LSD works?!
http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/traction/tech_traction_4wd_2.htm

ekslut
24-08-2006, 01:35 PM
KAAZ also have a good introduction to LSD's on their site:
http://www.kaazusa.com/introductionToLSD/introduction_To_LSD.htm

Pretty much though FWD, RWD, it doesn't really matter. The LSD is still going to do the same thing and help in the same way. It makes sure that both drive wheels (FWD or RWD) get even power meaning you will end up with more traction.

CUL8R
24-08-2006, 02:55 PM
my friend has a quaife lsd on his 4th gen honda prelude.
he took me for a serious bolt round some of my streets coz i wanted to feel what a difference his smsp headers made and on a couple turns he was on the power sooooo early, and the traction was intense!
seriously if u up ur power significantly u should be putting an lsd on or ull get nothing but one wheel spinning when trying to drive it hard round the twisties.

civic_mods
24-08-2006, 03:42 PM
i got it from factory cos i got a itr
i think hey are well worth it as it reduce understeer in corner,works very effective comaper to non-lsd FF

aaronng
24-08-2006, 04:17 PM
One important thing to note that a torque sensing LSD does not work when one tyre has zero traction. So it is used more for FWD and AWD (and the S2k). Other RWDs tend to use clutch diffs (which are the ones that come in 1 way, 1.5 way and 2 way), allow for drifting and require periodic rebuilds. Torsen diffs don't need rebuilds that often as long as you use the correct diff fluid.

string
24-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Drifting on ice is near zero traction. Drifting on grass is also rather low traction. Drifting on road takes a damn lot of torque. If you have more torque than your lsd's torque bias ratio times the ammount of torque needed to break a single tyre free, then you need to dial down the boost :D

j3z3z
25-08-2006, 03:51 PM
my ef8 has a ys1 with lsd. It was optional

string
17-09-2006, 08:29 PM
One important thing to note that a torque sensing LSD does not work when one tyre has zero traction. So it is used more for FWD and AWD (and the S2k). Other RWDs tend to use clutch diffs (which are the ones that come in 1 way, 1.5 way and 2 way), allow for drifting and require periodic rebuilds. Torsen diffs don't need rebuilds that often as long as you use the correct diff fluid.
Another thing which I just remembered... This applies to the quaife style torsen anyway (obx aswell, unsure of oem, never seen one disassembled). They run a set of washers in the centre to pre-load the axel gears, allowing for some "lock" even when a single wheel is providing zero resistance. It also reduces gear rattling noises when non-locked (i.e. normal differential operation).