PDA

View Full Version : Spoon Monocoque Brake calipers

curik
21-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Hi is there anyone who has installed these yet? on your DC or S2000 or anything? Is $1500 not shipped a good price? Our traders sell them way over $2000 so I have to get them from HK or Malaysia.

euro77
22-08-2006, 12:21 PM
might not get many response here, try the teg or s2000 section

curik
22-08-2006, 10:17 PM
I thought someone in this has these calipers on the euro?

yfin
22-08-2006, 10:22 PM
I thought someone in this has these calipers on the euro?
Noel on www.tsxclub.com (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/www.tsxclub.com)has them on his Euro and he is in NSW. I am also pretty sure LOC888 had them but he sold the car.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4286

But what exactly is your technical question - if you are shopping around for price speak to the traders, etc rather than post up in the technical forums.

curik
22-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks for posting the link Lara! I have never thought the calipers look so nice on the Euro!! That black cat with optional racing strip's secret weapon is gonna fall down! My question is if anyone has one on their Honda. Since we still can use the stock pad, that should not alter the brake balance should it? It might be an investment for looks.
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1996

yfin
22-08-2006, 11:14 PM
I should tell you though that I remember reading about something being required from the AP1 to make these fit. I could be wrong. Also clearance of the caliper to your particular rim needs to be considered. So do a search of TSX Club or if you can't find it PM Noel.

These Spoon calipers look glorious but pricey!

Chris_F
22-08-2006, 11:16 PM
^ apparently they're not much of an upgrade compared to stock performance wise though.. or so ive heard

aaronng
22-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Thanks for posting the link Lara! I have never thought the calipers look so nice on the Euro!! That black cat with optional racing strip's secret weapon is gonna fall down! My question is if anyone has one on their Honda. Since we still can use the stock pad, that should not alter the brake balance should it? It might be an investment for looks.

You need suitable pads for the caliper. The calipers that Noel used are compatible with the same FMSI as the S2000's front pads. Brake balance will be altered because there is more clamping force pushing down on the front pads. Also, you need at least 17" rims that have enough clearance.

If you have crap tyres, you will be engaging ABS if you brake hard.

aaronng
22-08-2006, 11:37 PM
^ apparently they're not much of an upgrade compared to stock performance wise though.. or so ive heard
Surface area of the pad is not increased tremendously. So initial bite should be similar to stock. But when you push the brake pedal down hard, where the stock brake system says "no more" and doesn't increase anymore braking force eventhough you are pushing harder, the spoon 4-pots will continue to increase braking force up to a higher limit.

curik
22-08-2006, 11:48 PM
I remember that spoon makes a caliper that is designed for CL7 so I guess fitting will be plug and play? And the pad size is the same as stock. I wouldnt worry too much about clereance issues with 19" wheels.

I love the cat and Lara! I'm learning new things everyday.

driven
22-08-2006, 11:57 PM
spoon calipers are a direct bolt on, provided you got correct brackets.
Stock euro pads will not fit the Spoon calipers. You'll need stock or aftermarket AP1 pads.
will not fit under stock rims unless you run spacers.
will fit over stock rotors!
rim size wise, 17x7.5 +45 should be a perfect fit, pending spoke design.

running spoon calipers will definitely be an upgrade over stock!
spoon uses them for their endurance races!

firstly, 4 pot compared to 2 pot = better and more consistent braking.

on the street, the difference might not be significant but once you take it on the track, there will be a significant difference as your laps increase.
after repeated heavy braking, the stock brakes/pads will start to fade and feel soggy and braking ability will decrease. On the other hand, if you're running the spoon calipers, braking will remain consistent under repeated braking, with little fade/decrease in performance.

much lighter aluminium monoblock construction reduces unsprung weight as well.

Other options you can consider
6 pots, AP racing, endless
4 pot, brembo, Alcon(newly released, cl7/9 specific!), wilwood, Project mu, stoptech

curik
23-08-2006, 12:05 AM
wow garfield you are very enthusiastic! Have you browsed spoon.jp for the CL7 calipers?

Brake Pad (Front)
ACCORD EURO-R [CL7] 45022-CL7-000 \23,100 1Set
Brake Pad (Rear)
ACCORD EURO-R [CL7] 43022-EK9-000 \21,000 1Se

It seems that the EK9 pads fit the rear euro pads?? Out of all the options you have listed down, only the Spoon calipers that can fit into my budget :( as I dont have to change the rotors and pads. Thanks for the really helpful info!

Chris_F
23-08-2006, 12:07 AM
you need different pads for the spoon calipers...

btw, good post driven... i guess when it comes to calipers the extra size isn't all that counts

curik
23-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Chris F! Why do I need different pads? Spoon says they are designed to fit stock pads?

Omotesando
23-08-2006, 12:25 AM
I wonder if putting those better calipers or better braking pads - what kind of effect it has on the Brake Assist cut in point? How does it work?

I would imagine ABS/EBD/VSA still works ok though since they rely on sensors!

Chris_F
23-08-2006, 12:27 AM
Chris F! Why do I need different pads? Spoon says they are designed to fit stock pads?

Stock euro pads will not fit the Spoon calipers. You'll need stock or aftermarket AP1 pads.

that's what i read.

If spoon says they fit maybe they do? But remember they are probably designed for CL7 which may have different pads to our CL9??? Not sure

driven
23-08-2006, 12:49 AM
cl7 and cl9 run the same brake setup.

the spoon calipers fit stock AP1 pads, not stock cl7 pads.
AP1 and Cl9 run different front brake setups.

Chris_F
23-08-2006, 12:50 AM
ok thanks

curik
23-08-2006, 12:59 AM
you seem to be very enthusiastic and confident garfield. How did you know so much about Spoon calipers?

driven
23-08-2006, 01:06 AM
hey, can you refrain from calling me garfield pls.

well i own a euro as well so i do a fair bit of research on euro parts.

aaronng
23-08-2006, 02:32 AM
And stop calling me black cat.

curik
23-08-2006, 08:52 AM
And stop calling me black cat.

Sorry I forgot you are not a black cat anymore. How does a white browny cat sound?

BusterSonic12
23-08-2006, 11:18 AM
$1500... calls good... really really catching my interest there :P yum
hong-kong, Top Racing???
does these fit the '06 oem lux rims

driven
23-08-2006, 04:01 PM
would'nt fit the 06 lux rims.

you'll need to run spacers.

kitbkk
23-08-2006, 05:12 PM
TypeG has them. I got a quote from our trader here about a month ago and he asked about $2100. I heard this set up would be very light..compared to stock and also Brembo 4 pot calipers and AP..
By da way TypeG told me its not really a good idea having it on street. He also said it should be considered only if your going to track your euro..Im not really sure would it be worse in term of brake comfortability?

AP1 F20c
23-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Nobody bothers to ask the owner of the car above when there are a million doubtful concerns?

Whatever Driven has said is accurate and point forward. He knows me on a personal level and there should be no doubt on his technical knowledge in aspect reference.

In the mean time, expect to purchase specific offset aftermarket rims to clear any type of big brake caliper kit. This isn't going to be the cheapest upgrade and without $4K~$7K, don't expect this to become a reality. Unless you're doing competition work or similar levels of driving, this won't be necessary.

AP1 F20c
23-08-2006, 06:27 PM

True experience or textbook answers? FYI - I outbrake countless Porsches and Ferraris on the track with the above product.

yfin
23-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Nobody bothers to ask the owner of the car above when there are a million doubtful concerns?

AP1 F20c = Noel on TSX club (in case some people didn't figure that out already).

Noel you opened the box and we now want to see photos or videos of your CL9 on the track....:p

Chris_F
23-08-2006, 07:31 PM
True experience or textbook answers? FYI - I outbrake countless Porsches and Ferraris on the track with the above product.

who said anything about a text book? This was an opinion fowarded to me by steven at centrax auto. As I said, just stating what i heard. I was considering the upgrade myself but was recommended against it. What caliper system are you running now?

I'm sure people would have come to you straight away with questions if you were a more active member on this forum.

BusterSonic12
23-08-2006, 07:50 PM
would'nt fit the 06 lux rims.

you'll need to run spacers.

damn~!!

yfin
23-08-2006, 08:00 PM
who said anything about a text book? This was an opinion fowarded to me by steven at centrax auto. As I said, just stating what i heard. I was considering the upgrade myself but was recommended against it. What caliper system are you running now?

I'm sure people would have come to you straight away with questions if you were a more active member on this forum.

Chris - you left it open for Noel to question the basis of what you had heard. The response you got was Noel's style - he is straight to the point. ;)

As for saying Noel should be more active here - that is a little unfair. I think you will agree that he contributes to the CL9 community more than most (in terms of actual time and sharing knowledge). Just look at some of his posts on tsxclub and that is obvious for all to see.

Chris_F
23-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Chris - you left it open for Noel to question the basis of what you had heard. The response you got was Noel's style - he is straight to the point. ;)

As for saying Noel should be more active here - that is a little unfair. I think you will agree that he contributes to the CL9 community more than most (in terms of actual time and sharing knowledge). Just look at some of his posts on tsxclub and that is obvious for all to see.
I'd love it if he did question the basis of what I heard - the more I know the better and I know Noel is a fountain of knowledge.

Also, I wasn't specifically suggesting Noel should become a more active member here, only that if he were, there'd be a much higher likely hood of people approaching him with questions about the spoon caliper.

aaronng
23-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Noel is THE Accord Euro over at tsxclub. All his mods, were all done back in 2004 when we were still scared of voiding our warranty by dropping in a measley K&N panel filter. LOL

Anyway, don't we all visit the main 2 Accord Euro forums? tsx.acurazine.com and tsxclub.com.

Chris_F
23-08-2006, 08:37 PM
^ haha good point... maybe the more keen owners do, but I'm sure a fair few don't visit the US forums.

Vtec_inside
23-08-2006, 08:55 PM
i quite sure you can bolt a dc5 jep spec brambo onto a accord euro. got to do a suspension swap.

AP1 F20c
24-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Y - Thanks for the re-intro again. I'd try to stick around more and address what nobody has accurate answers for in a technical aspect. Otherwise, everything else can be referred across with relevant linked sources when it's available. Truth is, I'm on OH as frequent. I just don't have anything to contribute.

Chris - I didn't want or should I say, needed not to question you because I know who is feeding you all the answers. Your love for Zeal happens to come from the same source prior to knowing the key differences of Tein and Zeal. In fact, you wouldn't have realized if I was in Centrax at the same time as you if I hadn't told you so. I always drop into Centrax if I'm in QLD for business. Apart from that, I happen to be fairly close friends on a personal level with the Centrax team and the key Centrax visiting clientele.

Between me and Steve's tuning differences, Steve is PRO his products and his believe is very "JASMA" biased. I on the other hand go for race homogated/proven products to achieve what I seek. We have strict common knowledge technical and general on how Hondas should be tuned, but our parts selection is almost entirely different. He can argue with me until the cows come home that Spoon calipers are rubbish (Which I'm sure he'd have told you in some lines of that sort) while I'd continually argue Endless calipers are a virtual overkill without proper horsepower output. And even that, what he's running on his DC5 is more ideally placed for a 400bhp output car instead.

Overkill for him? NP, he's a master distributor and he can build his customer base upon. Best application for specific models? He isn't the person to speak to. He'd forever stay away from stuff like Amuse and continually preach the excellence of Fuji whilst my Amuse exhaust collection will perhaps equate to more than anyone has carried/seen in the entire nation. He is a skeptical tuner, I on the other hand, work on proven technology regardless of continent and origins.

Vtec inside - One is a MacPherson designed mounting bracket, the other is a double wishbone bracket, both don't fit and have virtually different mounting offsets. Unless you can find someone with enough skill to fabricate a proper bracket, it won't work. Besides, those aren't fabulous products anyway. Brembo is good, but not the factory supplied grade. It's like buying a Honda, you have a Jazz to an NSX. The factory supplied grade Brembos even on top spec exotics aren't NSX-grade. You'd have to pay for their upgrade kits with real caliper design and technology. Some of the greatest junk of Brembo calipers come off the DC5, Z33, R33, R34 and GDB/C, CP9s.

Chris_F
24-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Noel, thanks for taking the time to explain your perspective on tuning.

TypeG
27-08-2006, 10:56 AM
I have one on my car. they use s2000 pads.

Chris_F
27-08-2006, 11:07 AM
thanks for confirming that

curik
27-08-2006, 11:59 AM
type G = Noel? How much did you get them for if I may ask?

driven
27-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Noel= Ap1 F20C
Type G=Type G

curik
27-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Type G! is G for ground? Anyway would you share your opinions about the calipers? And where and how much u got them from? You are probably now the only euro with Spoon Calipers.

TypeG
28-08-2006, 08:55 AM
it stops really good with CCX pads but is DAMN noisy which I end up using stock ap1 pad for street use which is a LITTLE better than stock but just a little bit. And I have upgrade the brake oil and two piece racing disc. If you cant stay which those damn sharp noise and never track, just use yr stock brake

curik
28-08-2006, 09:06 PM
but how is the bling factor?

yfin
28-08-2006, 09:55 PM
it stops really good with CCX pads but is DAMN noisy which I end up using stock ap1 pad for street use which is a LITTLE better than stock but just a little bit. And I have upgrade the brake oil and two piece racing disc. If you cant stay which those damn sharp noise and never track, just use yr stock brake

So it is noisy with the AP1 pad as well?

aaronng
28-08-2006, 10:36 PM
CCX is a carbon ceramic pad though, that's why it's noisy. NA-R or NA-D if available in that size would be better for street without that noise. NA-D has the friction of CCX, but a lower temperature threshold (450ºC). NA-R (600ºC) on the other hand can go to as high a temperature as CCX (750ºC) but has a lower coefficient of friction than CCX.

TypeG
28-08-2006, 10:51 PM
for the bling fact, u better spend those $3k for other bling stuff like better rims and kit.
even with stock pad, it still got noise when cold maybe due to the material of the racing disc.

Professional
28-08-2006, 11:21 PM
As i know, racing pad with racing disc will produce a bit noise, but good for hard braking. For the owner, i think they don't care about the little noise.

Type G: How's your spoon caliper? Is it bolt-on fit into your car or need any modification?

curik
28-08-2006, 11:44 PM
now with 19" wheels, changing calipers is a good idea. my brakes squeal too, and the dealer said its normal? But it goes away after some repeated hard braking.

TypeG
29-08-2006, 07:38 AM
with racing pads..... it is not called a BIT noise but damn NOISY. even inside the car, i can hear the sharp noise ALL THE TIME which is annoying in the street

bolt on no mod needed

u can fit this with 18' so I cant find a 19' will take an advantage on changing the brake and again if u after the bling only, just go for it as u can use stock disc with spoom mono but this 3k for the JDM bling, u should just go and buy some JDM rims first instead

EK Civic R
08-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but just needed to know if any mods or changes are required to fit the spoon calipers onto the euro???

The info I have received is that the spoon calipers are direct fit for cl7, but not for cl9. Apparently the disc thcikness are different betwen cl7 & 9?

CL7 being 26-27mm and the CL9 being 29mm therefore caliper does not fit over the stock or cl9 discs.. Can anyone confirm??