PDA

View Full Version : New Battery - recharge time during car storage

EuroDude
24-08-2006, 07:09 PM
My Civic is left in storage for the moment while I have it for sale, so I run the engine for about 15 minutes every three or four days, to keep the engine, oil etc... in good working condition.

The old battery was like 3 years old and worn out so I installed a brand new one (an Exide from KMart ~$110), but the new battery does not hold its charge, even after only 2 days. I have to jump start the car with my Euro every time

Even after running the engine for 15 minutes then turning it off, there were signs of struggle when turning the engine back on straight away - but it started fine. So obviously 15 minutes isnt enough.

1) How long should I run the engine to fully recharge the new battery?
I prefer not to use an external recharger.

2) I am thinking of disconnecting the battery during storage, should I disconnect the Positive, or Negative terminal?

ps. I already searched OH, but there was no info regarding storage with a new battery.

destrukshn
24-08-2006, 07:51 PM
alternator?
use a multimeter, and see what your car is charging at.
and that may tell you the problem.
that, or it could be a dead battery, return the battery, go to honda and pick one up for $99, with a 30month warranty!
=)

Spunkymonkey
24-08-2006, 08:40 PM
I would suggest atleast running the car for 30 minutes to charge it up if your going to be starting it, as starting the car does drain the battery life. I've had heaps of battery problems in the past - due to a bad original alarm. P.S also check your alarm, or nothing else is draining the battery life.

If its going to be in storage for a while I suggest you disconnect the battery. Disconnect negative terminal. Each time you come to start it have the car running atleast half an hour.

See how you go..

good luck :)

EuroDude
24-08-2006, 08:56 PM
@destruk, so you hook the multimeter up to the two battery terminals? I guess a 14volt reading would be ideal. Its a new battery, same one as before which lasted years.

@spunky, I tried 30 minutes once but it didnt last that much longer. Maybe it needs a good 1 hour? The alarm isnt rated at too much drain, I dont think thats causing it. Although I do have a hectic/complicated immobilizer so maybe thats draining more than usual.

Next time I'll disconnect the neg terminal and see how that goes :thumbsup:

Spunkymonkey
24-08-2006, 09:10 PM
@destruk, so you hook the multimeter up to the two battery terminals? I guess a 14volt reading would be ideal. Its a new battery, same one as before which lasted years.

@spunky, I tried 30 minutes once but it didnt last that much longer. Maybe it needs a good 1 hour? The alarm isnt rated at too much drain, I dont think thats causing it. Although I do have a hectic/complicated immobilizer so maybe thats draining more than usual.

Next time I'll disconnect the neg terminal and see how that goes :thumbsup:

no worries :)

Even if you do have a hectic immobiliser/alarm system, it shouldn't drain much power from the battery at all...

if it continues, you can always take the battery back and get them to test it for you :)

destrukshn
24-08-2006, 09:14 PM
yes 14 volts is ideal.
30 mins should be more than enough for it to charge.
how long are you gonna leave the battery for?
also, check the volts when the car is off, then report back.

if you have a really good battery, it can go for at least 3 months, mine was a acdelco from honda, and my car was off road for 3 months, and first start, no struggle at all.

EuroDude
24-08-2006, 09:21 PM
@spunky, yeh good point, I may get the kmart car service center to check it

@destruk, the engine was only idling at 800rpm, maybe its better to keep the revs up and drive it around - does it work that way? More revs = faster charge?
Its a cheap(ish) kmart exide battery so its not a deep cycle one or anything special. I'll check the volts now, and test the alternator volts tomorrow.
Is it easy to replace an EG D16A8 alternator (just a few bolts)? or do you have to loosen the timing belt?

destrukshn
24-08-2006, 09:31 PM
it's a c*nt to change the alternator!!!
lol.
the alternator charges at it's max i think at 2-2.5k rpm
but like i said 30 mins should be more than enough to charge, and let it start again, plus it's a new battery shouldn't have to charge that long.

the honda ones aren't deep cycle stuff either.

EuroDude
24-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Alright I checked the voltage, it was only 9.55 volts.

I tried starting the engine, and it wouldnt turn at all, and the clock faded out :(

That was after running it for 15 minutes three hours ago :eek:

Spunkymonkey
24-08-2006, 09:32 PM
LOL acdelco was the last battery I had in the car that kept going flat lol. But then again I did have a problem with the alarm at the time lol. I've got a BOSCH gold atm.

more revs = less fuel :p

Found a site with a test for your alternator - copied below:

Simple Test: If you want to see if your alternator is producing current, turn on your headlights when you're parked and the engine idling with the headlights shining on a wall (at night). Notice how bright they are. Then turn the engine off. The lights should get dimmer when you turn the engine off. If the lights get brighter when you kill the engine, the alternator was not charging sufficiently. When doing this test, the lights should be the only load (turn the stereo, a/c and other accessories off). With a heavy load, an otherwise good alternator may not be able to produce sufficient amounts of current at idle.

destrukshn
24-08-2006, 09:33 PM
you have to loosen the tensioner, using a rachet spanner is best for that part, only a few bolts, but the alternator is at the back of the motor, and when your pulling it out, or putting it in, the driveshaft gets in the way, and makes it difficult becuase you have work around the driveshaft.
a massive pain!
lol

Spunkymonkey
24-08-2006, 09:40 PM
hehehe...I'm lucky I got mine changed at 200K service when timing belt was done.

EuroDude
24-08-2006, 09:45 PM
rofl sounds hectic... get my mech to do it.

thx for that info spunky, I'll try that when I jump start the car next.

I can't pull out the immobilizer, but maybe ill try disconnecting the alarm (if the car can still start though)...

Spunkymonkey
24-08-2006, 09:47 PM
no problems :) you can try and immobilise the immobiliser :p