PDA

View Full Version : Power Supplies in-car!

Honda Enthusiast
25-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Hi guys,

I was just wondering, can a Honda be tied down or made becoming less performing if too much lights or gadgets inside the car is using it's power supplies...

For example, inside my Accord there's the obvious cigarrette lighter hole PLUS an extra AC power supply. At the moment, I got 4 neons hooked up to the battery and linked to the headlamps...so when the headlamps go on, then all 4 neons (2 in the front under the dashboard and the other 2 under the back)...PLUS, I got like 8 more other smaller neons connected to AC adapters and there all on at the same time...was wondering if this would aaffect the cars overall power performance?

Thanks,

SKY

destrukshn
25-08-2006, 01:25 PM
are you using the multi adapters for the neons? if so i wouldn't really recommend em, as some/most are cheap and nasty, and overload circuits.
are the ones hooked up to the head lights fused? if not they should be.

it may lead to using more current than normal, but overall, shouldn't affect too much i reckon.

EuroDude
25-08-2006, 01:29 PM
How about u use bright LED's instead of Neons :thumbsup:

Klayemore
25-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Or just not be a ricer??....

destrukshn
25-08-2006, 01:51 PM
uncalled comment, he can do what he wants to their car, he doesn't tell you want to do with your car.
leave him be.

AmateurJazz
25-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Neons draw considerably more power than LEDs, so maybe a good idea would be to change to LEDs as mentioned above.

Can think about the option of connecting the neons somewhere else rather than your headlights and introduce a switch, which gives you the flexibility of when to turn them on to see whether they are affecting performance.

Honda Enthusiast
25-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Neons draw considerably more power than LEDs, so maybe a good idea would be to change to LEDs as mentioned above.

Can think about the option of connecting the neons somewhere else rather than your headlights and introduce a switch, which gives you the flexibility of when to turn them on to see whether they are affecting performance.

Thanks mate, yeah, all neons have switches! Cheers!

I think I over did the interior...all neons everywhere (hidden away though)...blue as a mother ***

EuroDude
25-08-2006, 02:40 PM
lol sounds like a c0p magnet. make sure ur car is legal so it doesnt get majorly defected one day

Honda Enthusiast
25-08-2006, 02:49 PM
lol sounds like a c0p magnet. make sure ur car is legal so it doesnt get majorly defected one day

Yeah, tell me about it... I better tone down as I've been stopped heaps...enough is enough I say!

Fo55il
26-08-2006, 07:23 AM
On the sign Wecome to Victoria it should say:
"Get Ready to stop and Canary Tested MuthaFu*ka!!!"

Anyways -
MMMmmMMM so its better to put leds huh, i betta search for sum pink ones then !!!

funkdr
27-08-2006, 06:04 PM
:confused: Are they 240v AC neons.

iket
27-08-2006, 10:13 PM
dude make sure they are fused! The fuse will blow if there is a short circuit instead of cables melting or catching fire!!! Many a house has burnt down from electrical problems!

Slow96GSR
27-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Damn that's a lot of neons!! Neons take a lot of power. Leds would be much better as stated above. I would update the electrical, as in bigger battery and a bigger alternator. The cars stock alt was made to handle the car when it was stock and then maybe 20 amps extra just incase. Even though you are not using everything at once it can still draw a lot from the alt causing the battery to drain too.

Once the car is started it runs off the alt but if it is over loaded it draws from the battery. I am guessing but each neon takes about 5-15 amps (what ew fuse them at ehre but they aren't cheap ones) and with your 6? or more that adds up. Then if you have a stereo system add that. Then any other accesories you use, a/c, head lights and parking lights, interior lighting, power windows, power locks, wipers, the a/c and heater fan. Then the ignition system and cars computer and other electronics. So that 80-120 amp alt isn't putting out that much so the battery might not be getting a full charge. Wouldn't hurt to upgrade the ground off the battery and the motor/tranny.

Just my $.02USD and other info. Hope that helps.

aimre
27-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Technically, will have less power due to all your neons. The more current u draw, the harder it is for ur engine to turn your alternator over (yes its physically harder)

You dont get energy for nothing, thus energy from the fuel, goes to running ur lights

To better understand why is gets harder to turn over a altanator if ur drawing moree current, read this.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy00/phy00351.htm

iket
28-08-2006, 10:45 PM
I am guessing but each neon takes about 5-15 amps
Whoa buddy!!!
You can run a toaster off 10 amps!!
A 12Vdc neon is typically around .25-.5 Amps
Not even a household neon uses 10 amps!

Nuttz
30-08-2006, 09:16 AM
a typical car alternator should be able to provide about 50-60amps
iket is right that the neons only draw about .5 an amp. The fuse is just rated for short circuit protection. Your head lights at 55watts draw 5amps!! and that is probably the most power draining device on you electrical system.

I think a car idling will only use about 10amps or less i think. so u have heaps of head room to run your lights and audio setup.