XP02ED
25-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Hey guys,

Basically ive got the following currently Installed,

Pioneer Head Deck, 4000 Series 50w x 4
Pioneer TSC1625 Splits
Pioneer GM6200F 4 Channel Amp - 600w
Pioneer 6x9 3 Ways,

Do it isnt asctually installed as of yet, but do you guys think instead of 6x9's to have 2 x 12" subs?

but im worried there wont be enough trebel for the rear passangers on my EG hatch

newmski
25-08-2006, 03:46 PM
get one sub and save ur money on a monoblock amp
problem solverd

AmateurJazz
25-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Two 12" subs will be too boomy in an EG

Agree with a monoblock powering one sub...but keep the 6x9s

XP02ED
25-08-2006, 04:06 PM
so keep the setup, get a mono block and a sub! argh to much cost!

might sell the 6x9's

buy a single sub and bridge 2 channels for the sub?

Slow96GSR
25-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Keep and use what you have and get one sub and a 2 way bridgeable amp. No need for a big expensive amp when only trying to do a basic system. If it was a competition car I would then get a monoblock amp but for this install a 2-way will be fine. Also the sub doesn't need to be the biggest and badest sub. $200USD/$264AUD should cover the amp and sub. You can always add to it or upgrade later.

XP02ED
25-08-2006, 05:28 PM
AH THANKS!

i actually already have the 4 channel amp LOL, all good its bridgeable..

just thinkg coz i habnt set it up yet,
if the 6x9's will generate enough bass to make me happy,

6x9 are top range pioneer ones..

just making sure if my setup would be enough without extra cost!

stanleym
25-08-2006, 10:54 PM
get the subs and keep ur 6x9's and front splits on hpf also u can get ur amps to turn down the gain of the subs unelss u got that control feature on ur headunit

go big and u can adjust to how u like it

AmateurJazz
25-08-2006, 11:19 PM
bridging the 2 channels on ur amp is an idea but bear in mind that it will be unable to bang out the lower frequencies on the sub - that is wat monoblocks or the 5th channel on an amp is for. This will mean that ur sub will never sound as good as it should be.

But anyway, all depends on the budget. Amplified front splits and the sub by bridging and just leaving the 6x9s as rear fill will do the job.

chameleon
25-08-2006, 11:29 PM
bridging the 2 channels on ur amp is an idea but bear in mind that it will be unable to bang out the lower frequencies on the sub - that is wat monoblocks or the 5th channel on an amp is for. This will mean that ur sub will never sound as good as it should be.

why is this?
is it because they dont make as much power or is it because they dont reproduce low frequencies as well as mono blocks?

XP02ED
27-08-2006, 02:03 PM
ah! thanks for that,

i think ill have the splits with 6x9's then a sub...

but now that means im gna need a mono block..

been told though i wont really need big bass due to my car being small.

i aint a bass freak ! but thanks for letting me know about the low frequency stuff, didnt know that!

Vinnie
27-08-2006, 02:45 PM
u dont *need* a monblock, its just preferable. ive heard bridged 2 channel amps also do an admirable job of powering a 12" sub... imo, 6x9's and a sub are unnecessary as the 6x9's are really designed to be a substitute for a sub and having a sub as well will jus over-power them, especially in ur car. and 2 subs is also much more than u need for space and power reasons but i dont think u were looking at that nemore neway... overall, it jus depenends on how big u want ur system to be and how much u wanna spend on it. if uve spent all u want to the wat u hav atm will prob do. if u want better bass then ull fork out the extra for a sub. for wat u seem to be looking for, ide recommend bridging the 4 channel to run ur splits, selling the 6x9's and buying a decent 12" sub and amp to power it. that shood only cost u about $500 more after u sell the 6x9's... neway mate, good luck with wateva u go for and i hope ur system works out well :)

XP02ED
28-08-2006, 10:43 AM
thanks dude,

yeh im thinkging the splits + the sub bridged, i aint very fussy about the bass but looking for something that will make me happy.

AmateurJazz
28-08-2006, 11:24 AM
In the end it all comes down to personal preference. Vinnie is right about the risk of the bass becoming too boomy with 6x9s and a sub and many will be satisfied with a sub powered from 2 channels bridged. If you're not fussed with the bass then just get a 4 channel amp and power all four speakers, then grab a sub from a shop that is selling u the amp and just try it bridged to see which sound you prefer.

The bass also depends on the quality of ur doors and soundproofing. I've been in volvos where factory sound deadening is top notch and the bass coming out of their stock 6x9s is way better than some accords running 12" subs that forces compressed air into your nose with every bass drum beat.

AmateurJazz
28-08-2006, 11:35 AM
why is this?
is it because they dont make as much power or is it because they dont reproduce low frequencies as well as mono blocks?

Quote from vividjazz on ausfit forum:

"Class AB amps are multichannel. They are the ones you use for your stereo speakers.

Class D amps are monoblock. They are made for driving subs (which are mono).

You can use an AB amp to run your sub/s but its much better to use a D amp. Why?

AB amps are about 50% efficient while D amps 90-95%. Monoblocks also offer increased power density, better audio performance, produce less heat and draw less current. Because they produce much less heat, Class D amplifiers can be housed in a much smaller chassis than a Class AB with the same power output. The downside is that the on-off switching of the transistors produces high levels of distortion, particularly in the middle and upper frequencies which is of course not an issue for subs / bass. "

I guess if you imagine the sound produced from mono mode and stereo mode you can tell that monos are designed for low frequency notes due to the power increased density. But however stereo sounds much better with the high pitched notes, which is provided by the AB multichannel amps. You need a combination of both for a balance of good bass and stereo sound.

micka
28-08-2006, 12:57 PM
"monoblock" simply refers to 1-channel amplifiers... they are not limited to class d, there are also class AB mono amplifiers.
Stereo (ie left and right channels) is not required for the frequencies w sub will reproduce as human hearing cannot pick left/right with these.
The initial class d amps were only able to reproduce lower frequencies with acceptable amounts of distortion, however there are now some full range class d amps (I believe xtant make one and there are others).