PDA

View Full Version : B18C7 into 92 EG GL - Advice and recommendations

Ozluder
26-08-2006, 01:16 AM
G'day All,

As the title suggests I'm sourcing a B18C7 front cut and am looking to put it into my 92 Civic GL over the next month or so. I've spent the past week reading almost every thread I could find on Ozhonda about this engine upgrade. Still got some questions.

Hoping fellow members could point me in the right direction with regards to the following:

1) Trustworthy mechanics in Sydney that will do a good job at a reasonable price.
2) Potential problems with the engine I should keep an eye out for.

3) Looking to also buy the following parts. Are these prices reasonable, cheap or a rip off?

a) Set of 15" Type R Integra rims $700
b) Pair of Recaro seats from a DC2R $1000
c) Set of Type R brakes????

4) For those that have done this conversion, would you say it's worth the time, money and effort?
5) Been quoted $7000 for the B18C7 with fuel tank, fuel pump and rails. Cheap, Reasonable or Rip Off? Anything else I should ask them to throw in?
6) Will I need to buy the headers and exhaust from a DC2R as well?

Thanks

;)

[[d a n n y]]
26-08-2006, 01:46 AM
does that 7K include anything else?
like wireing looms ECU gearbox drive shafts etc?
if it doesnt the nit's expensive
if it does it's average price nothing special

VTi_b0i
26-08-2006, 03:26 AM
my advice is... DO IT lol ull love it...

locote
26-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Hell yeah....
I put a SiR b18c in my and after its 1st service ( new plugs, leads, oil, timing adjustment) it realy impressed me and if u can afford the convertion do it!!!
Prob the best value for money mod u can do to a civic N/A or if u deside to go F/I later :)

hoonda
26-08-2006, 10:30 AM
One thing to consider- u should also upgrade the rear brakes, as the GL's 14 year old drums wont stop a b18c7 very well... an easy and cheap upgrade is to get hold of a set of rear discs from a Vti

otherwise, have fun, its an excellent project!

locote
26-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Thats why i baught a vti all i had to worry about was dropping the B18c in.
The brake feel is different to my integra but i have had no problems as yet stopping

fatboyz39
26-08-2006, 11:10 AM
its a good conversion .. u shuld do it... u will surprise a couple of those turbo cars out there :p

as for prices..

the rims are a rip off

u need to specified more of wat u are gettin with the enigne eg/ like gearbox, ecu, wiring loom

the seat are a farely cheap

u need to also account for others things in ur conversion as well, like rear brake disc conversion, EFI conversion, obd1 to ob2 conversion harness.

all these little bits all add up.. i've done it before... but a worth wild mod. u gona love the vtec sound :honda:

a shop would usually charge anywhere between $1750-2250 for this kind of conversion

Pm me if u want more information

locote
26-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Keep ur stokkie rims..
Its funny to c ppl reactions when the wanna play with a (what they think stock EG) and realise its not.

ECU-MAN
27-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Keep ur stokkie rims..
Its funny to c ppl reactions when the wanna play with a (what they think stock EG) and realise its not.

especialy a GL :)

Paul1985
27-08-2006, 10:37 PM
especialy a GL :)
All the prices sound reasonable to me..
You do know with your GL you will need a new EFi fuel tank, lines and wiring (may be with your swap).

Just wanted to let you know...

You cant use a carby tank/lines on a EFi engine.

Do it!!
You definately wont regret it.

Paul1985
27-08-2006, 10:38 PM
6) Will I need to buy the headers and exhaust from a DC2R as well?

Hopefully headers come with your engine/halfcut. If not then you will have to purchase headers.

Exhaust you may need to buy..
Im guessing stock will work but be bottlenecking, that is unless you have an aftermarket system..

im unsure if the headers bolt upto the piping with this swap??
i know with a K-series into EG you need some custom work done. Im pretty sure its all bolt-up on EG and b18c.. not too sure though

ECU-MAN
27-08-2006, 10:46 PM
http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/diy/eg-b18c/b214.jpg

the ITR down pipe wont bolt up Paul, you have to get it modded at an exhaust place.

still goes hard with GLi exhaust, ( trust me on that one )

:)

Paul1985
27-08-2006, 11:05 PM
nice info john.
is that like a coathanger u used to get it to the exhaust shop. lol
i might have to do that myself one day :D

ECU-MAN
27-08-2006, 11:15 PM
yes it was a coat hanger,

its better than driving straight out the pipe, but still it was loud, real loud in VTEC :)

Ozluder
28-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've decide not to go ahead with the conversion and instead am looking for a DC2R.

Honbits weren't selling a front cut, it was basically the whole engine conversion kit. Every part needed to do the conversion.

They quoted me $7000 for the kit or $8500 with the Type R Brakes and rims. Good performance were quoting me $3250 for install which included an engineers certificate.

So all up with the cost of the car + engine conversion kit + install would of cost me $14,250.

Didn't think it was worth it in the end. So the search begins for a DC2R in Championship white.

Paul1985
28-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've decide not to go ahead with the conversion and instead am looking for a DC2R.

Honbits weren't selling a front cut, it was basically the whole engine conversion kit. Every part needed to do the conversion.

They quoted me $7000 for the kit or $8500 with the Type R Brakes and rims. Good performance were quoting me $3250 for install which included an engineers certificate.

So all up with the cost of the car + engine conversion kit + install would of cost me $14,250.

Didn't think it was worth it in the end. So the search begins for a DC2R in Championship white.
Thats not too bad a price. A little pricey on the labour, but honbits prices sound good. Im sure you could find labour cheaper than 3250 somewhere, hell im sure someone on here would do it for much less than half that price.

If you can get a DC2R though then why not!
comes with all the other luxuries aswell.. better interior, better suspension etc etc..

Id go the EG if it were me though, but im just mad on EGs :D

All the best with whatever you choose.

sikisdr69
31-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Bel Garage in Sefton, Sydney does it for liek 1500 including liquids for an LS integra as i have quoted for myself, so it should be teh same for yours

fatboyz39
31-08-2006, 06:15 PM
LS has EFI...eg GL doesn't. Thats where the extra cost are at.

dasicvtec
05-09-2006, 08:28 PM
just slightly off topic,

but did australian EG (hatches) only come in GL, Vti and Si ?

can any1 please give me all models (there isnt many i think)

and if i was to say get a Vti, are they EFI ? and it would be much easier to get a vti/si to do a conversion with then a GL because they are efi ?

Paul1985
05-09-2006, 09:03 PM
there are
GL, Si Breeze, VTi, GLi

theres some other sorts floating around such as VEi (i think thats right?) and the accasional sir (EG6 from japan).

GL, Si and Breeze are all carby's
VTi, GLi and the rest are EFi.

Paul1985
05-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Oh didnt notice your other comments.
The fuel tank, lines etc would cost anywhere upto $1k IMO. Im not sure but i will need them soon.

If you are doing an engine swap and you can get a good condition carby EG alot cheaper than a EFi version then yes it is worth it. If there isnt much of a price difference between an EFi and carby model then go the EFi for sure.

It will cost a little more in labour costs most likely awell for the mechanic to install them (unless done yourself)

So get a carby if you find one cheap enough. But EFI is better.

bennjamin
05-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Get a Si , Vti...you use all the stock civic rubber mounts etc and its all good :)

dasicvtec
05-09-2006, 11:04 PM
aight cool, thanks for the replies guys

my intentions are to get a EG civic - an EFI preferably as it would be an easier swap ? (id be going to a b16a as a first)

as im getting b4 next yr as i need it for an apprenticeship and daily driver..if say i was to keep it stock for a while what would be the best model to get in terms of stock performance(out of the VTI and gli ? )

i realise i should search and i will but im hoping its not that difficult of a question and id appreciate if you could answer it

thanks again ;)

btw, my friend got a GL carby model for 3 grand...would i expect to pay 5k for a decent VTI or GLI ? (again i shall research :P)

fatboyz39
05-09-2006, 11:08 PM
VTi would be your best bet.

THey generally go for 6-8k.

qstoria
05-09-2006, 11:37 PM

not sure what sort of decent white dc2R you are going to find for less than 20k atm but as already pointed out with the ITR you do get a newer car with the suspension sorted out (much more so than a GL eg at least). there are a few dc2r's on carsales.com.au. didnt see many in white though. good luck to you either way as both cars would have been quite rewarding