PDA

View Full Version : OEM Box + Induction Pipe

macoman69
26-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Ive been trying to research alot on this topic cause im interested in doing it but havent seen alot of people doing it.

Anyone hear have some info what i would like to know is ...

Does a pipe straight to the air box to the front of the car make a difference
does it make VTEC any louder
what other choices do i have

Oh by the way i own an ITR

bennjamin
26-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Ive been trying to research alot on this topic cause im interested in doing it but havent seen alot of people doing it.

Anyone hear have some info what i would like to know is ...

Does a pipe straight to the air box to the front of the car make a difference
does it make VTEC any louder
what other choices do i have
Oh by the way i own an ITR

You pull out all piping + resonator BEFORE the airbox and replace it wil either a "air feed" from the front bar or just leave it.
IT does make a difference in top end apparently.
IT does make VTEC louder ( louder induction noise)
You can get a proper Cold-air-intake or a short-ram-intake.

Spunkymonkey
26-08-2006, 07:07 PM
well - with my car I've always had "air con" type ducting from behind the front bar at the bottom to the bottom of the standard airbox. I have an aftermarket filter in the standard airbox. Yes, it does sound louder compared to with the standard filter, but its not a huge difference in sound.

Years ago I had one of those short ram intakes, but it was sucking too much hot air from the engine bay.

Something to note which I find, because the ducting I have goes quite low, it can tend to suck up a lot of dirt, so I just vacuum it every now and then.

j3z3z
26-08-2006, 07:43 PM
just run a pipe from where you would normally find fog lights located on the front bar the the front of your air box. Also you could install a heatshield and drill some holes in the bottom half of the airbox... self proven results in torque and top end. Louder induction note and more notable vtec crossover

note torque test was done on a steep hill in 5th from 1500rpm before and after holes were drilled. before result was a loss of 5km up the hill one person inside car. after result was a 10-15km increase up hill with driver and passenger.

Also note the motor was not a b16cr but its was a b16a

|N|
26-08-2006, 08:49 PM
have a look here... give u some idea and comment ppl think abt it
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17513

aaronng
26-08-2006, 09:01 PM
The piping will give you a supply of cold air. Based on this, the pipe could be located vertically, horizontally, to the side or what not, since all you need is a supply of cold air.

If you want to set it up as a sort of ram air induction system where air is forced into your airbox for a little bit more positive pressure, I'd say you won't notice much because you only gain benefits when you go above 100km/h. Reading around, sites say that you start to gain when you go above 112km/h. When you reach 160km/h, it was claimed that an engine like the LS1 gained 20hp. So if the percentage gains are similar, you'd get over 5% gain when at 160km/h, which is a significant amount. If your car is a drag or track car, go for it!