PDA

View Full Version : VTEC Light

CAT_SPEW
01-10-2003, 11:47 AM
I don't currently have a VTEC engine, but I am planning to upgrade soon.
My question is:
I saw somewhere that a person with a VTEC engine hooked up his own little light sort of thing. It's purpose was to light up when VTEC kicked in.
This might seem a bit "Ricey" to some people but I'm jsut wondering what is invloved in doing it? Would it be hard etc.?
Thnx.

wynode
01-10-2003, 11:52 AM
Depends on how technically minded you are :)

Basically you run a wire from the ECU (or from the VTEC solenoid...probably the easiest ) and run that to a relay, so that when the VTEC solenoid is activated, it triggers the relay (which is hooked up to your light).

Hardest part is figuring out what Voltage the solenoid accepts, finding it and wiring it up to the relay.

Rowie
01-10-2003, 01:05 PM
just get a tacho with a shift light, and set the shift light to come one at the VTEC kickin REV range, easy :D :D

CAT_SPEW
01-10-2003, 02:19 PM
I am not really that technically minded with these sort of things:(:(
Never thought about the shift light idea lol. Might give it a go.
But I plan on getting a monster tacho with a shift light set on or just below the redline. So would I need to buy another shift light AND tacho? Or just another light?

vti-2
01-10-2003, 02:59 PM
You would just need another light. If you get a tacho why not just wire up the shift light for VTEC instead of RPM? If you want both you will just need another light.

Where are you? People might want to recommend workshops etc but we don't know where you are...

CAT_SPEW
01-10-2003, 04:04 PM
You would just need another light. If you get a tacho why not just wire up the shift light for VTEC instead of RPM? If you want both you will just need another light.

Where are you? People might want to recommend workshops etc but we don't know where you are...

That sounds like a decent idea vti-2.
I'm in Brisbane, but I have never installed a tacho or shift light or anything like that. Is it hard?
I'm not too familiar with shift lights, do they have like a setting on the back where you can set them to go off at certain revs or something?

vti-2
01-10-2003, 04:17 PM
It's not hard to do but why would you want one unless you have a highly modded car and go to the drag strip often? If you want it cause it looks cool and cause it has a shift light that would be a waste of money.

Best thing to do, wire up a shift light for VTEC and forget the tacho. Save your money for mods under the bonnet, or mods that your car will actually benefit from.

Just my 2c...

Civic Type R
01-10-2003, 04:34 PM
I don't currently have a VTEC engine, but I am planning to upgrade soon.
My question is:
I saw somewhere that a person with a VTEC engine hooked up his own little light sort of thing. It's purpose was to light up when VTEC kicked in.
This might seem a bit "Ricey" to some people but I'm jsut wondering what is invloved in doing it? Would it be hard etc.?
Thnx.
Umm that would be hella annoying - well for me it would.
I have DOHC VTEC and trust me you KNOW when VTEC kicks in ! - you dont need a little light telling you otherwise.
Especially when racing or track work, where the light will constantly be on.

Setanta
01-10-2003, 05:52 PM
I wat thinking of doing the mod - one of the cluster lights isn't used and I was thinking a VTEC sticker and globe inside it could be cool. Then I came to my senses as I know when VTEC is in and don't need the distraction - unless there was a toggle switch ;)

wynode
01-10-2003, 06:18 PM
Just spend the money on a good shift ligt, so that you know when to shift (instead of bouncing off the rev limiter) in order to keep it in VTEC.

CAT_SPEW
02-10-2003, 09:37 AM
Come to think of it, it would get a bit annoying. I mean from what you are all saying, you don't need a little light to tell you when Vtec is on becauase you can feel it.
I am beggining to move away from prety shinny things in cars and more onto performance,handling etc.
Because you are the one who is going to be driving the car, not the people who are looking at it as you drive by.

Cat.

Civic Type R
02-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Come to think of it, it would get a bit annoying. I mean from what you are all saying, you don't need a little light to tell you when Vtec is on becauase you can feel it.Cat.
Not only that but you HEAR it too.
Ive had DOHC VTEC for nearly 4 years now and i still love it when it kicks in - especially in the tunnel ! Its like ..where did that Harley Davidson come from .?

Hadean
02-10-2003, 03:31 PM
You don't need a relay to do that sort of thing. Relays are used for high current applications such as turning on and off radiator fans, heaters, air-con etc...

If you can get your hands on a engine wiring diagram I can do it. Just splice a wire (first determine the voltage level with a multimeter) off whatever signal actuates Vtec solenoid, use a transistor wired up to a power supply (i.e. battery) the transistor is the switch (a small relay if you will) that turns on and off a light that can be connected in the circuit, with the vtec-solenoid signal that actuates the transistor.

I wouldn't waste my time on it though.

INFLYT
03-10-2003, 07:50 AM
I've already got an Autometer blue shift lite sitting on the steering column, and also purchased a Do Luck brand VTEC light which I plan to have added to the left of the steering column, integrated in where the alarm indicator light now sit's. :wink:

Spoon-Accord
05-10-2003, 10:42 PM
well i did it to my car

used a 12 volt LED.. for EG.. those windscreen wiper LEDS.. etc..
its really cool.. keeps u company when driving :D

Ken

LatinoHatchCrap
05-10-2003, 11:07 PM
just get a shift light and mount it underneath your cluster gauges on top of the plastic...way more functional to know when to shift than when VTEC kicks in IMO

-Joe

ps. page 2 ownage :?

Redteg
11-10-2003, 08:23 AM
I think it's a cool idea but it'd get annoying. If anything, I'd add a toggle switch as Setanta suggested. Also, I'd only do it if I were to use a blank spot in the gauge cluster, so that it looked factory.

...I'd also do it if I had VTEC :(

We put a LED in a mate's 4agze Corolla for when the supercharger was 'on'. The novelty wears off quickly, but it does impress the uninformed.

b16a_integra
16-10-2003, 10:10 AM
i read about this last year on some american guys site, i think ot was www.si-lum.com something like that you can search it. he has a SOHc vtec eg civic. and has a list of budget little things you can do to your car.
if i find the site ill post it.

cheers.

b16a_integra
16-10-2003, 10:11 AM
heres the site i found it.

http://www.wabe.net/silum

CAT_SPEW
16-10-2003, 12:36 PM
Kewl thnx for that man, I'll have a look at it.

Yspool
15-01-2004, 11:55 AM
I found wat i think to be the best ides for this

www.jujeracing.com/vtec_light_pics/vtec_light.htm

wondering if anyone wanted to go in on a group buy??