PDA

View Full Version : New Gear Box / Clutch

crazy_legs
27-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Hey guys, how much is it roughly to get a new gear box and clutch for a S2000?

Is there a way to replace just the plastic window? to a Glass?

Checked out a S2000 today and that's some of things it needed work on.

Thanks

ROLLED
27-08-2006, 05:50 PM
look at a different s2000,

clutch is at least a $2k job including labour
What's wrong with the gear box exactly? is it the syncros or input shaft bearings?? either way its alot...

u can replace the whole roof to include the class window, about US$450 + shipping + installation (10 hour job by professional), your looking at $1-1.5k

yourfather
27-08-2006, 06:04 PM
doesnt matter how much it costs when you got daddy's money anyway rolled.

crazy_legs
27-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Finding it hard to click into 1st gear and can't find the 6th gear at all.

SIKCAR
27-08-2006, 09:33 PM
where can u get the glass window roof from? I didn't think it was possible with AP1 coz it folds where the window is, I'd love to change mine to glass

ludecrs
27-08-2006, 11:33 PM
ebay.

You can get cluthes + flywheel from the US for $150US + postage costs.

chicken8
28-08-2006, 12:47 AM
check if its synchros. it sounds like synchros

if ur whole box is going then i could be time to park the car in cabra with the keys in the ignition and wait 10mins and call the police to report ur car stolen

yourfather
28-08-2006, 01:03 AM
check if its synchros. it sounds like synchros

if ur whole box is going then i could be time to park the car in cabra with the keys in the ignition and wait 10mins and call the police to report ur car stolen

cmon ... seriously... cops read this stuff... and that kinda shit makes peoples premiums go up. wtf.

aznpsuazn
28-08-2006, 10:23 AM
cmon ... seriously... cops read this stuff... and that kinda shit makes peoples premiums go up. wtf.

i WISH we could rightfully blame rising premiums on that. I think theres about 683.7 other factors to consider also. And it was a joke.

yourfather
28-08-2006, 11:48 AM
what, you're saying that having a stolen car and making a claim does not make insurance premiums go up.

WhiteAP1
28-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Finding it hard to click into 1st gear and can't find the 6th gear at all.

U dont need a new gear box!!!!!! Please make sure this is clear.U dont even need to drop it. All gears can be "hard" to get into, its just the gear box, its very clunky, this is normal. Change the oil it might improve. With the S2k,5th and 6th share a syncro. When u make a bad upshift, say, 3rd to 5th at a high RPM or if there is extensive mis- shifting,the sycro sleeves tend to be put out of alignment/caught, and u end up with teeth touching teeth, instead of falling into place, like gear cogs should. Now what u need to do is to jump on the freeway, bite ure lip and force the gear back in. I was drving around for months without sixth, until someone suggested this ,took 3mins to fix. Just keep going from 5th to 6th and soon enough u'll round the edges, and they'll fall back into place. Rounding the edges wont cause any long term damage.in fact once its fixed it will feel as if the problem was never there. Its happend to a few ppl, search on s2ki.com u'll see.

Now if ure wanting to replace ure clutch, for half the money u spend on a new Honda clutch disc,u can get an aftermarket kit, flywheel,Presure plate and disc. Make sure if ure upgading any of these, get a presure plate. OEM PP is weaker than the disc.So u'll burn out the disc and the PP if u dont upgrade. Labour should cost $450 max for a clutch install/replacement.(honda will charge 10 times more)

WhiteAP1
28-08-2006, 03:17 PM
In regards to the window. Search might be a good start,its been coverd a few times. U cant just replace the plastic, the whole roof needs replacing. If u want original, honda will ask about 5k for parts, labour will be about $700 (thats what i was quoted) There are quality aftermarket replacments on the net for about 1k (cant remeber if thats US or AU) Still a shit load cheaper.

crazy_legs
28-08-2006, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=WhiteAP1]Just keep going from 5th to 6th and soon enough u'll round the edges, and they'll fall back into place. Rounding the edges wont cause any long term damage.in fact once its fixed it will feel as if the problem was never there. Its happend to a few ppl, search on s2ki.com u'll see.
QUOTE]

The problem is that I can't even engage 6th, to keep going from 5th to 6th.
I'll try my best and see how it goes.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice

ROLLED
28-08-2006, 05:48 PM
sounds like your 5th and 6th gear syncro are gone. Just remember when your shifting that you don't skip any gears especially into 5th and 6th. This topic has been discussed on US forums extensively.

As far as the roof goes, you CAN DEFINATELY change it out to the newer one. try to find a shop on eBay called "Robbins Auto Tops", a guy in melb bought one from there already, im also thinking of doing the same as my rear plastic now has a crack in it. and SIKCAR your correct, the roof does fold differently, but you fix that with these elastic straps...it all comes with the roof.

also if your finding it hard to get into 1st on cold mornings, just push the clutch in and shift into 3rd and then directly into 1st, that usually allows the gear to engage...once your car warms up a bit more, it should be fine.

ROLLED
28-08-2006, 05:52 PM
doesnt matter how much it costs when you got daddy's money anyway rolled.

This is really mature coming from a Mod.

Let me ask you something, Is it my fault that my parents are successful and can afford things they want and yours can't? stop being a little bitch.

You know NOTHING about me or my families situation...it's comments from bitches like you that really piss me off. Why don't you go and complain about the P-plater who drives a Ferrari F355 spider in melb?

Your profile says your 24 years old, yet you sure as hell don't act like one. Get a life moron.

WhiteAP1
28-08-2006, 06:07 PM
The problem is that I can't even engage 6th, to keep going from 5th to 6th.
I'll try my best and see how it goes.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice

Get to 5th, then shift the selector to sixth as much as it goes, keep going back foward, it will budge a little more each time. Dont be afraid to force it a little. The end result will be that u've pushed through the connecting teeth and throw them back into place. I had the same problem. Its as if there is no sixth gear to select, just go through with the above. it should do the trick.

yourfather
28-08-2006, 10:35 PM
This is really mature coming from a Mod.

Let me ask you something, Is it my fault that my parents are successful and can afford things they want and yours can't? stop being a little bitch.

You know NOTHING about me or my families situation...it's comments from bitches like you that really piss me off. Why don't you go and complain about the P-plater who drives a Ferrari F355 spider in melb?

Your profile says your 24 years old, yet you sure as hell don't act like one. Get a life moron.
im not a mod.

you have PM.

chicken8
28-08-2006, 10:41 PM
ready. setto. FIGHT!

WhiteAP1
28-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Fight at Bell st maccas bro, somebody call the Lebs.

WhiteAP1
31-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Bullshit aside, i just re-read the first post, are these problems with an s2000 ure looking at, or one u have, if so is there an update on the situation?? Im curious as to whether sixth is now working,or perhaps it needs closer inspection...

crazy_legs
31-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Its a s2000 that i'm looking at, going to organise another inspection with a mate to decide whether its need some major work or not.
Was told that the jammin the gears back may fix the synchro but may also ruin the shaft.
Out of curiosity how much should gearbox cost?

Might take it for another test drive and jam the thing back and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

WhiteAP1
01-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Who ever told u u'd ruin the shaft is full of shit. U'll round the syncros and thats about it,considering their current state, its not going to do any more harm. And ure not "jamming" the gear back, u'll slowly work the syncros back into place, the gear got the way it is from "jamming". My sixth was locked out from a bad mis shift, its been over a year since it was fixed, ive had no problems . A gear box from honda will cost $8-10K. U might be able to pick up a second hand one for about $2K,but u wont know what ure getting, how many K's its done and what kind of a life its lived. Most ppl (especially E-bay,yahoo auctions) just steam clean the housing so it looks brand new, but the components are fried. U wont know until u open it up.

IMO stay the hell away from this car. Find another example, wait as long as u have to, the right one (in good mechanical order) will come along. If u cant afford a good example ATM save until u can. Keep in mind how much parts cost for an s2000. Did u know a catalyst alone costs $2k. Even if theres only a few problems with it u'll be up for thousands.