PDA

View Full Version : My car is smokin'

Dulcinea
27-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Hey guys,

So I just bought a 90 prelude and have been having a few problems so far. I don't want to take it to the mechanic to get it just checked over if I don't have to, I've already forked out so much money. But the first thing I noticed is that the gearstick wont change sometimes, its kinda temperamental. I'll try and put it into reverse and it just won't move. (its an auto btw) Also, I took it for a spin and there was white smoke coming from the front of the car, not sure if it was from under the bonnet or coming from the wheels, but they got new brake disks or something before they sold me the car and I was wondering if they would smoke at all if I'd been coming down heavy on the breaks?

Also, any tips for a good car polish to use?

Cheers guys,
Bron

aaronng
27-08-2006, 11:20 PM
No, your brakes shouldn't smoke. Not even if you have been driving hard.

Have you replaced your transmission fluid?

martin
27-08-2006, 11:47 PM
i derno much abt mechanical problems lols. buh i find using the brand autoglym for car care products is tops

EuroDude
27-08-2006, 11:51 PM
How many km's has it done? Has the gearbox ever been reconditioned?

ps. use wax, since most polishes cut the paint. Or try www.paintprotection.com.au

Dulcinea
28-08-2006, 11:34 AM
its done nearly 280,000, so a fair bit. i dont know about the gearbox. as for the transmission fluid, that was next on the list for checking - one of my mates reckoned that could be whats causing some of the problems.
thanks guys!

aaronng
28-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Remember, use only Honda ATF (automatic transmission fluid). Don't use any aftermarket brands.

EuroDude
28-08-2006, 12:17 PM
wow 280,000km, if the tranny has never been reconditioned then its most likely due for one. Maybe thats the reason why the seller sold it :eek:

oh well, see how the new fluid goes first.

azn-70y
29-08-2006, 01:30 PM
if it hasnt bee done recently replace all fluids check leaks n al the usualy normal stuff

Dulcinea
29-08-2006, 02:10 PM
yeah, my mechanic checked over it and before i bought it and said the timing belt was due pretty soon but nothing else massive so far. is it really expensive to do the transmission? as for the fluid, i'll pick up some Honda stuff asap!
thanks guys.

EuroDude
29-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Yeah the tranny is expensive to recondition/replace. My manual tranny cost something like $1400 to recondition (new synchros and clutch), but Auto trannies will cost more so I am guessing around ~$2000

look in the yellow pages for transmission repair shops and ask for a rough estimate.

Paul1985
29-08-2006, 09:05 PM
sounds like your short on tranny fluid to me.
when it shifts through gears is it a rough change?? This is an indication of a lack of fluid.

Smoke from the bonnet doesnt sound good. Have you checked your car isnt overheating?

Sounds bad too me, i think you need to take it for a good service badly.

Dulcinea
30-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Yeah I'll check out the tranny oil sitch on the weekend and see how it runs after that. If its still sounding really evil and not doing what its meant to, I'll definately get it serviced, mind you I'm so broke after rego, insurance and transfer fees, not to mention buying the actual car. Sigh. Thanks for all your help!

aaronng
30-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah I'll check out the tranny oil sitch on the weekend and see how it runs after that. If its still sounding really evil and not doing what its meant to, I'll definately get it serviced, mind you I'm so broke after rego, insurance and transfer fees, not to mention buying the actual car. Sigh. Thanks for all your help!
Check the level now. Just pull the stick and check the level, just like engine oil!