PDA

View Full Version : Why Spoon/Mugen socks and not tennis wristbands?

aaronng
28-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Why spend so much on a Spoon or Mugen sock? Well, I have the answer.

I recently got a "Kellogg's" sock. It's black in colour unlike the blue spoon or orange mugen. Well, I tried burning some of the Kellogg's and Spoon sock's material. The verdict? Spoon's material was fire-retarding. When exposed to a flame, it just shiriveled up into nothing, which is good if you want it NOT to burn. The kellogg's sock on the other hand burnt and left behind glowing embers, which can ignite petrol fumes.

So... Spoon socks yes. Kellogg's socks no.

BTW, if you buy fake Spoon or Mugen socks, I'd bet that they burn and leave behind embers like my free Kellogg's sock.

_CiVIC_
28-08-2006, 03:16 PM
LMAO u boredddddddddd kient!!

but very informative hahahahaha

DreadAngel
28-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Should be in the technical section so I can give you +rep pts...

NeoNode
28-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Do we have pics for our viewing pleasure Aaron? :)

aaronng
28-08-2006, 08:45 PM
I was playing with fire and couldn't take pics of the burning material. LOL

You guys have seen the spoon and mugen sock anyway.

bennjamin
28-08-2006, 09:13 PM
another sucessful DIY experiment at brens :)

egSi
28-08-2006, 09:26 PM
lol thats sorta cool that u went to the trouble but i think if theres a fire in my engine bay big enough to get to my resevoir socks im pretty sure i would of pulled over by then LOL.

my OG converse bands > spoon crap :thumbdwn: :p

cool thread aaron ;)

EG5[KRT]
28-08-2006, 09:45 PM
i think the main reason for the socks is to soak up any overflow of brake fluid...

so technically the test would b to put some brake fluid on the sock then c if its fire retardant....

SKREMN
28-08-2006, 10:05 PM
the brake fluid will ignite regardless what material it is on
what is the reson fore them why would it overflow if its got a good seal and not overfilled?
never seen one leave from the top onyl ever form the bottom

revNhevN
28-08-2006, 10:10 PM
i actually use a Cottee's wrist band on my car.:eek:

yfin
28-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Didn't someone get defected for spoon socks - read that in the lounge a while ago? Cop said it was a fire risk. Aaron I think you need to submit your findings to the police but they could lock you up for being an arsonist :wave:

aaronng
28-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Didn't someone get defected for spoon socks - read that in the lounge a while ago? Cop said it was a fire risk. Aaron I think you need to submit your findings to the police but they could lock you up for being an arsonist :wave:
LOL, I used less fire than someone who smokes. So I think I'm safe. Haha.

gambate
28-08-2006, 11:18 PM
the spoon/mugen might be treated with fire inhibitor?
saw a video of teddy bear treated with AF21 deflect flame torch heat that ripped a sheet metal with minimal damages....

Professional
28-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Good point. But the spoon/mugen are very nice. Just for engine bay decoration.

sassy_fit_vtit
28-08-2006, 11:35 PM
i always wondered what the point of having those socks in ur engine bay are for...

to me.. it stops me from burning my hands on my gear knob on hot days lol

aaronng
28-08-2006, 11:40 PM
the spoon/mugen might be treated with fire inhibitor?
saw a video of teddy bear treated with AF21 deflect flame torch heat that ripped a sheet metal with minimal damages....
It doesn't deflect the flame. It still burns, but it just shrinks and disappears. The material probably sublimes under the fire. If you had a shirt made of the same material, it would just go whoosh and shrivel up.

aaronng
28-08-2006, 11:41 PM
']i think the main reason for the socks is to soak up any overflow of brake fluid...

so technically the test would b to put some brake fluid on the sock then c if its fire retardant....
I reckon you'll have an overflow only if you flip your car or don't put the cap on properly. The cap seals pretty well on new cars. Not sure on old caps.

kongfu
29-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Good experiment! Vote for Genuine fireproof Mugen socks.

Chris_F
29-08-2006, 10:29 AM
spoon socks are cheap to.. 20 bucks for 2 or something... a tenis arm band may even cost more lol

Moya
31-08-2006, 02:40 PM
What IS the point of spoon socks? Other than bling...

aaronng
31-08-2006, 03:03 PM
What IS the point of spoon socks? Other than bling...
It's supposed to absorb any brake fluid that manages to creep out of the resevoir (highly unlikely though). Brake fluid eats through paint, btw.

Spunkymonkey
31-08-2006, 08:34 PM
does it actually list what its made out of.....

Perhaps the genuine thing is made of wool? - because wool does that....it stops burning....

we did the same experiment in textiles in highschool lol....we had to make mini skirts, the fabric that I had, happened to be 100% wool, so stopped burning, and then the nylon stocking we had, just kept burning....

assuming the copy socks are made of synthetic materials lol

aaronng
31-08-2006, 08:42 PM
does it actually list what its made out of.....

Perhaps the genuine thing is made of wool? - because wool does that....it stops burning....

we did the same experiment in textiles in highschool lol....we had to make mini skirts, the fabric that I had, happened to be 100% wool, so stopped burning, and then the nylon stocking we had, just kept burning....

assuming the copy socks are made of synthetic materials lol
Nope, doesn't list what it's made of. The Kellogg's sock consists of 80% cotton and 20% polyester. Synthetic materials are better as organic (carbon based) materials tend to burn and leave behind embers.

slipn
31-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Ok I am very guilty of this...

I have ES (skateboard shoe comapany) Wrist bands on my brake reservoir.. They look kinda cool cause there like royal blue with a black and white stripe,
I did it cause it looked different than the every day spoon ones.

If they catch on fire you all will be the first to know

aaronng
31-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Polyesters ignite at 432-488ºC. Cotton on the other hand, 250ºC. Wool is 228-230ºC.

I'd prefer to have polyester in my engine bay.

tinkerbell
01-09-2006, 06:31 PM
IMO - they are to prevent dust/dirt from building up around the reservior...

fake addidas wristbands FTW!

http://home.exetel.com.au/tinkerbell/addidassoxsml001.jpg

tinkerbell
01-09-2006, 06:33 PM
the brake fluid will ignite regardless what material it is on

brake fluid is flamable?

wow?

learn something new everyday...

wonder why it doesnt say it is flamable on the bottle though?

SKREMN
02-09-2006, 12:05 AM
if you mix brake fluid and chlorine it blows up into flames

aaronng
02-09-2006, 02:46 AM
if you mix brake fluid and chlorine it blows up into flames
That's because the chlorine oxidises the brake fluid, which is about 85% ethers of glycol. And ether is very flammable.

Spunkymonkey
02-09-2006, 09:02 AM
brake fluid is flamable?

wow?

learn something new everyday...

wonder why it doesnt say it is flamable on the bottle though?

ROFL it must ignite after it reaches boiling point :p

hehehe....I think I'll steer clear of the spoon/mugen socks at the moment lol....save the money for getting mesh for my front bar lol.....

aaronng
02-09-2006, 01:48 PM
ROFL it must ignite after it reaches boiling point :p

hehehe....I think I'll steer clear of the spoon/mugen socks at the moment lol....save the money for getting mesh for my front bar lol.....
Actually, brake fluid doesn't self-ignite because it doesn't have a high enough vapour pressure. But if you did put a flame to it, 200ºC is all you need to get it to burn. That's lower than DOT4's 280ºC boiling point at atmospheric pressure (it's at much higher pressure in your brake lines, so the boiling point is higher when used.)

Spunkymonkey
02-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Actually, brake fluid doesn't self-ignite because it doesn't have a high enough vapour pressure. But if you did put a flame to it, 200ºC is all you need to get it to burn. That's lower than DOT4's 280ºC boiling point at atmospheric pressure (it's at much higher pressure in your brake lines, so the boiling point is higher when used.)

LOL @ aaronng. I was taking the piss in my previous post ;) but nevertheless informative response :)